These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

themittani removal really? CSM7 : One pilots view on the importance of the context of Eve Online

Author
the North Star
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2012-03-29 04:44:46 UTC

My main is Highauger's animated corpse.

I am one of the 10,000, and I am a FA member of the CFC,
I am among those with the most to gain from TheMittani
returning to his chair. I am biased.

I am not disagreeing with the decision the remove themittani
from the chair for his words on the CSM panel at fanfest, nor
am I challenging the 30 day ban decision. I will however
attempt to say as simply as possible 'this is Eve Online.'



I begin this way because I wish to be honest with you all.
I also do this because this toon has Massive Massive cans.

..your looking at them now, I think their amazing, and I know
somewhere deep inside you, you do too.

There is a point to this...

CCP allows alot of stuff. We think this is brilliant, 'the sandbox.'

This is the CCP promotional trailer for Causality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGplrpWvz0I&feature=relmfu

..beautiful isn't it. I mostly like the lines 'you break the trust, you
break the alliance," fantastic stuff.

Watching the company promote a solo pilot bringing down a whole
alliance under a vengeance motif? well it's bigger than Star Wars.

Hundreds of individuals from a multitude of cultures working
toward a single goal, building trust: becoming friends, enjoying the
game together to have it suddenly ripped down.

I'm all for it, think of the tears.

Piracy is written into the storyline: scamming, spying, deception
extortion. New fun words we usually learn too late like ganking,
www, butthurt, New Eden is beautifully ruthless by design.

The major powers in this game have long concluded that clemency
of any kind stands against conquest. Lying and deceit are fundamentals
to the strategies required to succeed in the above video and in
this game. Hell our Alliance was once robbed by a policeman.
Where do you put that? which box: Eve Online.

My bio until recently lifted from anothers included "I keep coming back
because nowhere else can you be this much of a jerk without being
arrested or stabbed."

Take the rest of the panelists at fanfest: we had recordings of national
anthems sung in humiliating capitulations to save everything from an orca
to a system, and we all laughed along.
We had a picture of Monty with some amazing hair gel and the troll in
every one of us jeered and jumped up and down in glee. None of this is a
complaint, frankly stitching up some group somewhere; as well as regularly
invited and part of game mechanic, is why some of us paid last months subs.

Naturally the path of the light is right there, you don't have to be a hardash
to enjoy Eve or to gain power. The security of empire appeals to over half
the player base, but all the ex-squaddies and nutters are blatantly out here.
Even in empire, If you haven't been stiffed ransomed flipped baited ganked
or just flat out attacked at least once, you've been hitting all the wrong parties.
The hardcore know, 'help I'm trapped in a pipe' is reserved for dictators and
eve players. 'Help and I'm tackled in a belt' however and it's all ours.

I'd offer that the sand in this box leans one way. Part of the games beauty
is in it's ability to allow the player to freely explore any spacey or human choices.
It's like the video says, what will it be?
In pressing this and in drawing parallels this will read like an indictment
against the focus CCP has taken with the game but it is not. Genuinely this game
is a great experience precisely because of this hard edge.

Yes this is long, I know

continued...

the North Star
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-03-29 04:44:54 UTC
I am terrible at this game and buy the trap every time. I actually think it's
brilliant. I am known for raging, I bio-massed my main after my shiny
was taken away, and I am completely unable to stand by silently when I see
such self evident bull shirt.

I get that CCP had little choice and acted rightfully to a difficult situation in
both removal of chair and in the 30day ban, but 10,000+ have just completely
lost their number one choice to represent us.

I also think themittani was right to of his own volition step down from chair,
formally apologize, and gift 10bil to the person remarked about during fanfest.
Further having heard his recent address as many will have, I believe that he
as owned his error in every way.


But the purpose of this election was to have the player-base choose it's own
representatives. We chose.

I argue ONLY that the choice to remove theMittani from the panel is not in
line with player base wishes, demolish the objective of such elections,
and if possible should be reviewed.

Even a re-election could make more sense.

Chair and ban naturally remain, CCP haven't been wrong in their action in that,
but unless their is some lawful reason it is my belief that the total ban CSM
makes less sense.

Most: CCP or player will deny that CSM6 was a resounding success and
really turned a corner. Even fewer would say the iterations in crucible
focused in space ships weren't very welcome. And nobody can deny that
themittani and his teams efforts both within and without the game in
combination with CCP are the reason for all of it.

This is a customer advocacy group, for a spacegame sold on the sandbox
premise regularly promoting; to quote Palpatine 'a larger view of the force'
in it's marketing. Yes I quoted starwars twice.
This was a panel of the most ruthless and successful people in the game,
talking about the game. Everything until the comments
that began all this in every CSM panel that has been however brutal and unfair
to someone has been in keeping with the intended theme. It is the
context of Eve Online I believe that creates the latitude for this kind of review.

I would offer that 'I went sportsclub and got a blackeye' is
very different from 'I went boxing sportsclub and got a black eye.

This post was long, and all my butthurt is making my butt hurt.

You know the score, this is Eve Online
Aiden Andraste
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-03-29 04:47:09 UTC
I must admit I did not read all of your posts, but as a member of the 10000, I feel your pain. Know this, either 10000 players will be allowed to revote or the CSM is forever declared irrelevant and a free ticket to iceland that adds nothing to eve online.
Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-03-29 04:58:22 UTC
A forum is not a typewriter bro, it has automatic word wrapping.

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

the North Star
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-03-29 05:02:45 UTC
Tarsus Zateki wrote:
A forum is not a typewriter bro, it has automatic word wrapping.


Man we are lucky it's not in crayon trust
Ceptia Cyna
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-03-29 07:52:07 UTC
~ deal with it ~
Esmilis99
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-03-29 08:45:38 UTC
After reading the news about the whole thing, i was about to type up a post, but then read yours and it pretty much sums it up.

While i agree that Mittani's presentation was in bad taste, and 30 day ban is not "over the top" punishment, it leaves you wondering where it puts the statement that EVE is a harsh sandbox game.

I for one stick to EVE just for that reason: the ability to embrace the evil side of yourself, playing mindgames and manipulating people, making your own choices, no matter how evil they would be.

Now if suddenly EVE game play would be fitted into cyberbullying laws, some part of that appeal would be lost. It all depends on where CCP will draw the line, and from what we can see now, its coming closer and closer to other MMOs and that makes me a bit sad.

Anyway i hope that we will never get to the day where you'll get banned for scaming / suicide ganking someone in highsec without their consent, although it sometimes feels like the direction this game is taking :(
Roime
Shiva Furnace
#8 - 2012-03-29 09:15:10 UTC
Posting in appreciation of a good whine post, that is actually not a whine.

Also in appreciation of those amazing mounds of womanliness.

Luckily there are many good Council members still on board, suicide ganking happens without bans as we write, Jita will burn and life in New Eden goes on. A border has been drawn, and I personally agree that there needs to be some limits asshattery to keep this game growing and alive.


.

Revolution Rising
Last-Light Holdings
#9 - 2012-03-29 20:05:46 UTC
the North Star wrote:

..beautiful isn't it. I mostly like the lines 'you break the trust, you
break the alliance," fantastic stuff.


Nuff said.

You trusted him. He broke your trust - even if you don't see it - now he's gone and melted away 10058 votes with him.

He did it, noone else.

If he'd done something NOT AS BAD as he did, and people said nothing. You guys would be happy that he was still chair.
If he'd done something WORSE and ppl said nothing, you'd be happy because your mittani would still be chair.

Fact is, people said something, so now you wish to blame anyone but your Mittani.

Well guess what, tough ****.

Here's the GM Harassment Policy Defined:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1034909#post1034909

If you wish to bring up an issue with their interpretation of it, good luck.

.

Highauger's animated corpse
Jove Observation And Neutrality Negotiations Act
#10 - 2012-03-29 23:05:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Highauger's animated corpse
as below
Highauger's animated corpse
Jove Observation And Neutrality Negotiations Act
#11 - 2012-03-29 23:17:32 UTC
Revolution Rising wrote:
[quote=the North Star]
..beautiful isn't it. I mostly like the lines 'you break the trust, you
break the alliance," fantastic stuff.
[/quote

Nuff said

You trusted him. He broke your trust - even if you don't see it - now he's gone and melted away 10058 votes with him

He did it, noone else

If he'd done something NOT AS BAD as he did, and people said nothing. You guys would be happy that he was still chair
If he'd done something WORSE and ppl said nothing, you'd be happy because your mittani would still be chair

Fact is, people said something, so now you wish to blame anyone but your Mittani

Well guess what, tough ****

Here's the GM Harassment Policy Defined
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1034909#post103490

If you wish to bring up an issue with their interpretation of it, good luck


I'm merely suggesting that when the engineered and promoted context of this computer game is taken into account.
Providing nothing legal still remains, the proposition to remove completely from the council for this year could be
reviewed.

If that is wrong fine, this is partially moot. Themittani has owned it, we all see it was a mistake, CCP has
it's hands bound to some degree and has to some degree been more lenient than some would have it. I respect all
views on this, mine however is as described in the mile of text above. I think it is a sad situation for the games future,
but continue to enjoy this incredible experience.


wanking monkey girl
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-03-29 23:50:25 UTC
yes yes ban the mittanley for csm i agree with you. not just this term but them all
Highauger's animated corpse
Jove Observation And Neutrality Negotiations Act
#13 - 2012-04-02 15:51:00 UTC
wanking monkey girl wrote:
yes yes ban the mittanley for csm i agree with you. not just this term but them all


Lol peasant
Nicia Kami Tha-Pax
Vilinska dezela
#14 - 2012-04-02 20:33:30 UTC
i'm rather new to Eve and mostly clueless as to its history and of its veteran players nor ther reputation and crimes (i remember the shocking experience of being given a GCC as a newbie while being attacked by a rat for the first time and wondering what I did wrong..)

The elections would pass me by and i would not give it another thought if i had not received a circular PM on my both accounts and the alias. All, from a character i could describe as Mittani agitator calling for our votes. It was well written, focused and perfectly executed. I did not know Goons, i never heard of Mittani before but i voted for him. I had no clue what his agenda was, but dang, if his alliance makes the effort to contact every single character in the game, motivating indifferent players to take a part in elections, they otherwise would not, it gets my vote. I dare to say i was not an exemption. Opponents, learn from him!

So far as those 10508 votes are concerned - Mittani campaign was one of the few good experience i had with EVE, gave me the taste of strong community dedication that would be ultimate reason for me to stick around. Great majority of other multiplayer games would kill for it, believe me. The Mittani team was focused on their objective, obviously with great success. Other CSM candidates had less sucess.The Mittans got votes that he and his team deserved, other did get what they deserved. Get over it!

As far as the deed our Christ aged "enfant terrible" (metaphorically speaking) committed, as much it was wrong, you blew i out of all perceivable proportions, it was wrong and unfortunate, but **** happens to all of us. No need for crucifixion.

I would like to see the re-election happen. Let the community decide if the Mittani stll deserves the seat in CSM, again. If CPP truly wants to hear the voice of the players community, it has to focus on what should be the most sacred, i.e. EVE community, regardless the PR hick-up they had to deal with.

There were numerous threats focusing on The Mittani topic and i just do not have time to read them all. Saying that however, i informed my person enough to be confident to post this, my sincere and "fairly educated" opinion. even if in a possibly wrong threat.

Fly safe Eve.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#15 - 2012-04-02 23:55:37 UTC
Nicia Kami Tha-Pax wrote:
I would like to see the re-election happen. Let the community decide if the Mittani stll deserves the seat in CSM, again. If CPP truly wants to hear the voice of the players community, it has to focus on what should be the most sacred, i.e. EVE community, regardless the PR hick-up they had to deal with.

Don't be silly, if they did that they'd have to either not let him run or rig it so he wouldn't win (anything?). Otherwise it would be bloody embarrassing.

You're saying to take a PR hit for maybe a PR gain. Nah, it won't fly.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Highauger's animated corpse
Jove Observation And Neutrality Negotiations Act
#16 - 2012-04-03 16:48:55 UTC
Nicia Kami Tha-Pax wrote:
i'm rather new to Eve and mostly clueless as to its history and of its veteran players nor ther reputation and crimes (i remember the shocking experience of being given a GCC as a newbie while being attacked by a rat for the first time and wondering what I did wrong..)

The elections would pass me by and i would not give it another thought if i had not received a circular PM on my both accounts and the alias. All, from a character i could describe as Mittani agitator calling for our votes. It was well written, focused and perfectly executed. I did not know Goons, i never heard of Mittani before but i voted for him. I had no clue what his agenda was, but dang, if his alliance makes the effort to contact every single character in the game, motivating indifferent players to take a part in elections, they otherwise would not, it gets my vote. I dare to say i was not an exemption. Opponents, learn from him!

So far as those 10508 votes are concerned - Mittani campaign was one of the few good experience i had with EVE, gave me the taste of strong community dedication that would be ultimate reason for me to stick around. Great majority of other multiplayer games would kill for it, believe me. The Mittani team was focused on their objective, obviously with great success. Other CSM candidates had less sucess.The Mittans got votes that he and his team deserved, other did get what they deserved. Get over it!

As far as the deed our Christ aged "enfant terrible" (metaphorically speaking) committed, as much it was wrong, you blew i out of all perceivable proportions, it was wrong and unfortunate, but **** happens to all of us. No need for crucifixion.

I would like to see the re-election happen. Let the community decide if the Mittani stll deserves the seat in CSM, again. If CPP truly wants to hear the voice of the players community, it has to focus on what should be the most sacred, i.e. EVE community, regardless the PR hick-up they had to deal with.

There were numerous threats focusing on The Mittani topic and i just do not have time to read them all. Saying that however, i informed my person enough to be confident to post this, my sincere and "fairly educated" opinion. even if in a possibly wrong threat.

Fly safe Eve.



Respect. Yes, alot of effort was put into this campaign, not just to win the chair but to get over the 10,000 mark so as
to have a true mandate. To show CCP and the gaming community at large the support we have for the team following
their achievements at CSM6 and the best patch to come out in years, Crucible, arguably the victory of 6.That mandate was
achieved, the highest number of votes for any candidate ever.

It was as everyone has admitted and owned a disaster at the fanfest Alliance panel. and even CCP whose hands were
tied have found this whole thing regretable. Further, themittani who has worked long and hard over the years with our
friends at CCP pointed one of his major regrets being the looks on some of the lads faces when the first few news stories
hit. As sad as all this has been, I am strangely reassured by this focus. It shows the character behind the roleplay is a
decent and realistic man, in contrast with the gaming persona.

Brendan Drane of massively.com has already apologized for being instrumental in the chaos. He has said openly
that the use of the buzzword 'cyberbully' was 1. completely out of context with law 2. unneccisarily inflamatory 3. has
bollocksed much of the good that was going to come from this term.

Don't take my word for it...

http://soundcloud.com/aryndelvyst/the-mittani-vs-brendan-drain

and his adjusted originally disasterchaining post :

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/27/eve-onlines-the-mittani-issues-formal-apology-for-crossing-the-line/

I understand another thread will be began by Mr Drain formally apologising for using the term.
Personally, I will accept the apology only when the damage has been reversed, and the CSM ban decision
is reviewed in the light of the context of 'Eve Online,' and like the adult trolls we all enjoy being, we fix up, stop
the bullshit, either re-vote review or re something other than retreat.





ILikeMarkets
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2012-04-03 18:46:05 UTC
Highauger's animated corpse wrote:
Nicia Kami Tha-Pax wrote:
i'm rather new to Eve and mostly clueless as to its history and of its veteran players nor ther reputation and crimes (i remember the shocking experience of being given a GCC as a newbie while being attacked by a rat for the first time and wondering what I did wrong..)

The elections would pass me by and i would not give it another thought if i had not received a circular PM on my both accounts and the alias. All, from a character i could describe as Mittani agitator calling for our votes. It was well written, focused and perfectly executed. I did not know Goons, i never heard of Mittani before but i voted for him. I had no clue what his agenda was, but dang, if his alliance makes the effort to contact every single character in the game, motivating indifferent players to take a part in elections, they otherwise would not, it gets my vote. I dare to say i was not an exemption. Opponents, learn from him!

So far as those 10508 votes are concerned - Mittani campaign was one of the few good experience i had with EVE, gave me the taste of strong community dedication that would be ultimate reason for me to stick around. Great majority of other multiplayer games would kill for it, believe me. The Mittani team was focused on their objective, obviously with great success. Other CSM candidates had less sucess.The Mittans got votes that he and his team deserved, other did get what they deserved. Get over it!

As far as the deed our Christ aged "enfant terrible" (metaphorically speaking) committed, as much it was wrong, you blew i out of all perceivable proportions, it was wrong and unfortunate, but **** happens to all of us. No need for crucifixion.

I would like to see the re-election happen. Let the community decide if the Mittani stll deserves the seat in CSM, again. If CPP truly wants to hear the voice of the players community, it has to focus on what should be the most sacred, i.e. EVE community, regardless the PR hick-up they had to deal with.

There were numerous threats focusing on The Mittani topic and i just do not have time to read them all. Saying that however, i informed my person enough to be confident to post this, my sincere and "fairly educated" opinion. even if in a possibly wrong threat.

Fly safe Eve.



Respect. Yes, alot of effort was put into this campaign, not just to win the chair but to get over the 10,000 mark so as
to have a true mandate. To show CCP and the gaming community at large the support we have for the team following
their achievements at CSM6 and the best patch to come out in years, Crucible, arguably the victory of 6.That mandate was
achieved, the highest number of votes for any candidate ever.

It was as everyone has admitted and owned a disaster at the fanfest Alliance panel. and even CCP whose hands were
tied have found this whole thing regretable. Further, themittani who has worked long and hard over the years with our
friends at CCP pointed one of his major regrets being the looks on some of the lads faces when the first few news stories
hit. As sad as all this has been, I am strangely reassured by this focus. It shows the character behind the roleplay is a
decent and realistic man, in contrast with the gaming persona.

Brendan Drane of massively.com has already apologized for being instrumental in the chaos. He has said openly
that the use of the buzzword 'cyberbully' was 1. completely out of context with law 2. unneccisarily inflamatory 3. has
bollocksed much of the good that was going to come from this term.

Don't take my word for it...

http://soundcloud.com/aryndelvyst/the-mittani-vs-brendan-drain

and his adjusted originally disasterchaining post :

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/27/eve-onlines-the-mittani-issues-formal-apology-for-crossing-the-line/

I understand another thread will be began by Mr Drain formally apologising for using the term.
Personally, I will accept the apology only when the damage has been reversed, and the CSM ban decision
is reviewed in the light of the context of 'Eve Online,' and like the adult trolls we all enjoy being, we fix up, stop
the bullshit, either re-vote review or re something other than retreat.







Except, as you can see in the video in my sig, he had planned to say exactly what he did long before the drinking took place.

Uh oh! That puts a wrench in his apology, doesn't it?

Poor King of Tears :(

Proof that capital ships are rare in EVE: http://imgur.com/gallery/jJJE1

Nicia Kami Tha-Pax
Vilinska dezela
#18 - 2012-04-03 19:47:10 UTC
ILikeMarkets wrote:
Highauger's animated corpse wrote:
Nicia Kami Tha-Pax wrote:
i'm rather new to Eve and mostly clueless as to its history and of its veteran players nor ther reputation and crimes (i remember the shocking experience of being given a GCC as a newbie while being attacked by a rat for the first time and wondering what I did wrong..)

The elections would pass me by and i would not give it another thought if i had not received a circular PM on my both accounts and the alias. All, from a character i could describe as Mittani agitator calling for our votes. It was well written, focused and perfectly executed. I did not know Goons, i never heard of Mittani before but i voted for him. I had no clue what his agenda was, but dang, if his alliance makes the effort to contact every single character in the game, motivating indifferent players to take a part in elections, they otherwise would not, it gets my vote. I dare to say i was not an exemption. Opponents, learn from him!

So far as those 10508 votes are concerned - Mittani campaign was one of the few good experience i had with EVE, gave me the taste of strong community dedication that would be ultimate reason for me to stick around. Great majority of other multiplayer games would kill for it, believe me. The Mittani team was focused on their objective, obviously with great success. Other CSM candidates had less sucess.The Mittans got votes that he and his team deserved, other did get what they deserved. Get over it!

As far as the deed our Christ aged "enfant terrible" (metaphorically speaking) committed, as much it was wrong, you blew i out of all perceivable proportions, it was wrong and unfortunate, but **** happens to all of us. No need for crucifixion.

I would like to see the re-election happen. Let the community decide if the Mittani stll deserves the seat in CSM, again. If CPP truly wants to hear the voice of the players community, it has to focus on what should be the most sacred, i.e. EVE community, regardless the PR hick-up they had to deal with.

There were numerous threats focusing on The Mittani topic and i just do not have time to read them all. Saying that however, i informed my person enough to be confident to post this, my sincere and "fairly educated" opinion. even if in a possibly wrong threat.

Fly safe Eve.



Respect. Yes, alot of effort was put into this campaign, not just to win the chair but to get over the 10,000 mark so as
to have a true mandate. To show CCP and the gaming community at large the support we have for the team following
their achievements at CSM6 and the best patch to come out in years, Crucible, arguably the victory of 6.That mandate was
achieved, the highest number of votes for any candidate ever.

It was as everyone has admitted and owned a disaster at the fanfest Alliance panel. and even CCP whose hands were
tied have found this whole thing regretable. Further, themittani who has worked long and hard over the years with our
friends at CCP pointed one of his major regrets being the looks on some of the lads faces when the first few news stories
hit. As sad as all this has been, I am strangely reassured by this focus. It shows the character behind the roleplay is a
decent and realistic man, in contrast with the gaming persona.

Brendan Drane of massively.com has already apologized for being instrumental in the chaos. He has said openly
that the use of the buzzword 'cyberbully' was 1. completely out of context with law 2. unneccisarily inflamatory 3. has
bollocksed much of the good that was going to come from this term.

Don't take my word for it...

http://soundcloud.com/aryndelvyst/the-mittani-vs-brendan-drain

and his adjusted originally disasterchaining post :

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/27/eve-onlines-the-mittani-issues-formal-apology-for-crossing-the-line/

I understand another thread will be began by Mr Drain formally apologising for using the term.
Personally, I will accept the apology only when the damage has been reversed, and the CSM ban decision
is reviewed in the light of the context of 'Eve Online,' and like the adult trolls we all enjoy being, we fix up, stop
the bullshit, either re-vote review or re something other than retreat.







Except, as you can see in the video in my sig, he had planned to say exactly what he did long before the drinking took place.

Uh oh! That puts a wrench in his apology, doesn't it?

Poor King of Tears :(



you must be joking, right? the first question was, what mythological creature would you be,,,, i guess anything said after that should be taken as very light entertainment

lol
No DiceBuddy
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2012-04-03 20:36:46 UTC
I would personally like to see a revote, it isn't fair that 10,000 will not have their voice heard. Its bogus and against why the csm was started.
Killer Claw
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#20 - 2012-04-03 23:56:09 UTC
He crossed the line in the worst possible location and scenario, that pretty much it. Whether or not it is acceptable in the "sandbox" environment of eve is irrelevant when he decides to act the way he did in the audience of the media / front-facing audience of people that expect a certain level of maturity from a game figurehead. Internet Spaceships does not translate into real life.

The 10,000 number is much inflated, I'd put money on that at the very least half of that number is Goonswarm alts that were created solely for the purpose of voting. The only real number is the unique persons in real-life that voted for him, which is much, much lower.
12Next page