These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Autism and EVE Online

Author
Quartzlight Evenstar Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Operations
#101 - 2012-04-03 15:45:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Quartzlight Evenstar Icefluxor
THE L0CK wrote:
Bob Bedala wrote:

"Extracting the urine" does not fall under the above law.


Well I guess the bathroom pub bandit in Birmingham can have a sigh of relief


Thank God for Vice Magazine Big smile

***

Proteus Maximus
Insurgent New Eden Tribe
SE7EN-SINS
#102 - 2012-04-03 15:50:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Proteus Maximus
[quote]Kaitlin smithson]
Hito-Shura wrote:
I've been playing EVE Online for almost 2 years now. I've had my hand in almost every aspect of EVE during the time I've played it. I was a highsec carebear, running Level 4 missions. I did some time in Nullsec, being part of the blob. I have been a pirate in lowsec, attacking ships ranging from Carriers to their cyno alts, both solo and in a gang. I've even lived in a wormhole for some time. I am a 26 year old male living in Cleveland, Ohio in the USA, graduated from college twice with a BS in Computer Animation and Design with a Masters in Technology, focused on Quality Assurance and Control

And I have autism. Asperger's Syndrome, to be exact.

Lately, though, I have noticed that there has been an increase in the use of the word autism. Its been somewhat disturbing to me that its been mostly used in a derogatory way. Anyone who is a highsec carebear n00b pubbie is autistic or heck, even when Goons were interdicting Gallente ice, I've noticed talk about 'Using Aspergers to camp the belts for miners'.

And I'm wondering why is this so? Why is being autistic bad all the sudden? Is it the new 'gay' from the 90s? Can someone explain it to me? Is it just EVE Online or is it ranging all the games on the internet?[/quote


who knows bro? all I know is I have a niece and nephew with autism and it's sad that they have it but it brings a "normal" being to tears seeing how they can do things still that other kids can do. Congrats for your achievements in life. I guess some people are fortunate enough in life not to have any relatives or loved ones with any conditions such as autism. I've seen it all in life from relatives and friends dying of all types of cancer, ALS aka Lou Gehrig's disease and other ailments besides the unfortunate accidents in combat and regular life.
I don't wish it upon anyone but the world needs to wake up and smell the roses because it may hit them one day and won't they feel like **** for mocking it.


Blow it off man. What you have accomplished is a testament to how you no different than the rest of us. The subject has been plastered all over the news lately and is the latest thing the media is whoring for ratings. The numbskulls pick it up and run with it..simple as that
On a personal note in my big family (7 uncles 3 aunts) 4 of my cousins children are high functioning Asperger's with a 5th autistic. These children are a source of endless joy. Sure there are trying times for all of us but we all pull together & it works out
Keep your head up & report idiots as stated in other posts. If your continually harassed look me up in game & it will be dealt with
Peace
Max

If Goons were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.

Andrea Griffin
#103 - 2012-04-03 15:51:00 UTC
Bob Bedala wrote:
Ask another twitter guy who profusely apologised once the Police turned up at his door and gave him a warning
I'd bet that he apologized because he felt he should and needed to, not because the police visit changed his mind about what he felt. He's sorry about what he did only because he was punished for it. Just like any other criminal or celebrity that does something ********

And no, not tin-foiling about being jailed by speaking out against the government. I'll quote part of the text that I linked earlier, because you didn't read it and I want to show you that it has indeed happened:
Quote:
The Sedition Act of 1918 (Pub.L. 65-150, 40 Stat. 553, enacted May 16, 1918) was an Act of the United States Congress that extended the Espionage Act of 1917 to cover a broader range of offenses, notably speech and the expression of opinion that cast the government or the war effort in a negative light or interfered with the sale of government bonds. One historian of American civil liberties has called it "the nation's most extreme antispeech legislation.

It forbade the use of "disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language" about the United States government, its flag, or its armed forces or that caused others to view the American government or its institutions with contempt. Those convicted under the act generally received sentences of imprisonment for 5 to 20 years. The act also allowed the Postmaster General to refuse to deliver mail that met those same standards for punishable speech or opinion. It applied only to times "when the United States is in war." It was repealed on December 13, 1920.
Also, need I bring up China? What about Iran? Not only does it happen today, but it has happened since we started recording history. It can happen again - anywhere - and throwing someone in jail for a few unacceptable, distasteful (but harmless) tweets is proof of that

And I do mean harmless. If as adults we're support to be able to communicate without using offensive language, then we should also be capable of not freaking out when someone else does. That doesn't make it acceptable, but they're just words and they only have the power we give to them.
Zixie Draco
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#104 - 2012-04-03 15:52:50 UTC
Bob Bedala wrote:
Zixie Draco wrote:



The "ohforpeetssakes" award thread of the day


Lawyers don't really see that as an acceptable counter Blink



eeew lawyers

Would you like a kitten?

Ghoest
#105 - 2012-04-03 15:53:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Ghoest
Bob Bedala wrote:
Andrea Griffin wrote:
We just don't feel the need for the government to censor our speech. It opens the door to a lot of future government abuse.


UK laws regarding what you can say on broadcast media are more "free" than the US (I assume you are referring to the US), so, no




Thats not true. In the US broadcast entertainment has restrictions. But news media has essentially no restrictions and additionally through public means you are allowed to say anything - although you are liable for slander if somone can prove you lied about them.

As a private individual you can say any opinion you want and can say anything else you want as long as someone cant prove you lied.

Im speaking with respect to the law. In any given private venue the proprietor can have restrictions.

Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Basileus Volkan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#106 - 2012-04-03 16:06:19 UTC
I probably shouldn't even post here but... Has it occured to you that autism got its bad rep from the roughly 9 billion self-diagnosed autistics that roam the Internet? The ones that use their "specialness" as an excuse for their stupid uneducated opinions or just to garner attention?
Woo Glin
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#107 - 2012-04-03 16:07:05 UTC
I'm autistic and single.
Bob Bedala
#108 - 2012-04-03 16:07:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Bob Bedala
Andrea Griffin wrote:
Bob Bedala wrote:
Ask another twitter guy who profusely apologised once the Police turned up at his door and gave him a warning
I'd bet that he apologized because he felt he should and needed to, not because the police visit changed his mind about what he felt


Sure. But the question was whether he thought about it.

Andrea Griffin wrote:
And no, not tin-foiling about being jailed by speaking out against the government. I'll quote part of the text that I linked earlier, because you didn't read it and I want to show you that it has indeed happened:


I know it happened, the UK has similar wartime laws, I ignored it because I felt it wasn't relevant, sorry.

Andrea Griffin wrote:
And I do mean harmless. If as adults we're support to be able to communicate without using offensive language, then we should also be capable of not freaking out when someone else does. That doesn't make it acceptable, but they're just words and they only have the power we give to them.


as adults. Not all eve players are adults, as I mentioned.

I agree on your point regarding semiotics but I cannot agree it is "harmless". If it was harmless, bullying would not be a problem, inciting people toward committing violent hate crimes (what the law is trying to address at root, I suspect) would not be a problem.

Frankly you can of course hold whatever opinions you wish regarding "free speech" and a constitution shot full of holes (pun intended) and it's affect on governments, I am not talking about that.

I am taking a micro-case of this game, now, and whether the game would benefit from cases like the OP and similar being stopped. Weighing the pros and cons, I think the game would benefit; less people would leave the game due to displays of assholery and children may learn that what they say can affect other people negatively in a real way, and the world would benefit as a result. That's all.
EDIT: and oh yes the small point of CCP's possible legal liability in these regards.
Ashley SchmidtVonGoldberg
Doomheim
#109 - 2012-04-03 16:09:19 UTC
Basileus Volkan wrote:
I probably shouldn't even post here but... Has it occured to you that autism got its bad rep from the roughly 9 billion self-diagnosed autistics that roam the Internet? The ones that use their "specialness" as an excuse for their stupid uneducated opinions or just to garner attention?



This. really i mean this.


I have two degrees in psychology and know a lot about psychopathology and the above comment could not be more astute.


Standing in for Karn Dulake who was banned for saying bad words

Proteus Maximus
Insurgent New Eden Tribe
SE7EN-SINS
#110 - 2012-04-03 16:18:04 UTC
Ashley SchmidtVonGoldberg wrote:
Basileus Volkan wrote:
I probably shouldn't even post here but... Has it occured to you that autism got its bad rep from the roughly 9 billion self-diagnosed autistics that roam the Internet? The ones that use their "specialness" as an excuse for their stupid uneducated opinions or just to garner attention?



This. really i mean this.


I have two degrees in psychology and know a lot about psychopathology and the above comment could not be more astute.




100% this. Droves of idiots everyday seek an excuse or crutch for the stupid an bask in the attention afforded by claiming their a special little snowflake.
There is a cure for stupid..eventually.

If Goons were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.

Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#111 - 2012-04-03 16:31:42 UTC
Just want to point out that the OP didn't contain any complaints or requests for sympathy. The poster just explained his EvE resume for background and raised a topic for discussion. Come on guys, read the content before you jump to any conclusions! Poor reading and poor listening are epidemic in America (maybe elsewhere too). Smile

(BTW, dad of an autistic (not Asberger's) 12-year-old. Some simple things he struggles with, some very complicated things he's incredibly brilliant with. Completely out of the blue unique talents. Society's not used to autism yet, but eventually it will adapt. There will always be a few racists, haters, ignoramuses, asshats, whatever around, that's a given. But the overall understanding will be better).
Caldari Citizen20090217
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#112 - 2012-04-03 16:37:25 UTC
Woo Glin wrote:
I'm autistic and single.


a/s/l Twisted

I scored 28 on the test.... Noooo!!! I might be one of.... them
Josef Djugashvilis
#113 - 2012-04-03 16:41:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Josef Djugashvilis
Perhaps the folk in Iceland think 'aspie' and 'sperg' means that someone comes from Aspen, Colorado, and that they are simply being 'called' for living there?

This is not a signature.

Ashley SchmidtVonGoldberg
Doomheim
#114 - 2012-04-03 16:44:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Ashley SchmidtVonGoldberg
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Perhaps the folk in Iceland think 'aspie' and 'sperg' means that someone comes from Aspen, Colorado, and that they are simply being 'called' for living there?



No they wont. People outside of America know that america exists but they dont know much more. America is not the centre of the Universe

Standing in for Karn Dulake who was banned for saying bad words

ILikeMarkets
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#115 - 2012-04-03 16:44:54 UTC
It also doesn't help that a lot of people online use Asperger's as an excuse (often when they don't suffer from it) for being socially awkward, so people have become somewhat desensitized to it and no longer take it as seriously as they should.

Proof that capital ships are rare in EVE: http://imgur.com/gallery/jJJE1

Kattshiro
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#116 - 2012-04-03 16:53:56 UTC
Jessie-A Tassik wrote:
Kattshiro wrote:
Jessie-A Tassik wrote:
[quote=Kattshiro]
So mercury isn't a neurotoxin now, zippy? Thimerosal did not contain mercury?

Of course, I have to say the exact cause cited... because Rule #1 of doing the idiot roll is to never argue facts, never bring up facts, just be condescending.... like you know what you are talking about, which you don't.

But the doses were too low!

Cause, you know, one year old baby resistance to neurotoxins is honestly probably higher than a full grown mans! Just saying. Ya know. It just makes sense!

Of course, they still stopped using it. But you know, a bunch of people said it was dangerous, and then the medical industry stopped using it.

My mamma always said, were there is smoke, there certainly ain't fire! Anyone who tells you different, they probably is lying to you!

Oh, and zippy, vaccines in general.... you know, not nearly safe as you think. Normal product liability is suspended for vaccines in the United States. You want to know what *BLEEP* they replaced it with? Use google.



Cool story bro. I mean it is a story.

Also names not Zippy, Champ.


Thanks for arguing the facts. Oh wait, I meant doing the idiot roll. Good slave! Master give good slave a cookie!


Lol my facts involve doctors and are readily available to look up. Go to itunes U and listen to the lectures on Autism. But I already know what you'll say.

Those guys (doctors or other people with PH.D's) are wrong. Those guys work for big pharma... This guy (Jenny Mcarthy says this. She got rid of autism with a colon cleanse BTW)

So what's the point in arguing with a wall? And that walls never changes it's answers or cares to look up the science?

"**** facts they disagree with me."

So call me names Zippy (usually indicative of sound mature state of mind and argument ability) , but at least im an educated slave...
Josef Djugashvilis
#117 - 2012-04-03 16:55:07 UTC
Ashley SchmidtVonGoldberg wrote:
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Perhaps the folk in Iceland think 'aspie' and 'sperg' means that someone comes from Aspen, Colorado, and that they are simply being 'called' for living there?



No they wont. People outside of America now that america exists but they dont know much more. America is not the centre of the Universe


Complete fail on my part. I was trying to be funny.What?

This is not a signature.

Ashley SchmidtVonGoldberg
Doomheim
#118 - 2012-04-03 17:32:19 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Ashley SchmidtVonGoldberg wrote:
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Perhaps the folk in Iceland think 'aspie' and 'sperg' means that someone comes from Aspen, Colorado, and that they are simply being 'called' for living there?



No they wont. People outside of America now that america exists but they dont know much more. America is not the centre of the Universe


Complete fail on my part. I was trying to be funny.What?



+1 for being a God among men. This may be one of the few times in recorded Internet history of someone not arguing back for the sake of it. Big smile

Standing in for Karn Dulake who was banned for saying bad words

Korsiri
Defying Vision
#119 - 2012-04-03 17:33:31 UTC
haven't read whole thread but I'd like to state, as a mom of an Asperger's kid, LMFAO if any of the posters actually think Aspie kids (or adults) give a **** what other people think about them Big smile Seriously, go look up the syndrome before kneejerk responsing with the typical can I haz ur stuffz comments lol

Also at OP, it's simply a side effect of social awareness of Autism and Asperger's. Regardless of which side of the fence you are on as to the ultimate causes (evolution due to computer age, genetic difference or vaccination caused), the point is that more and more people are being diagnosed with something along the spectrum. Whether that is an artifact of increase in the syndrome, or merely an increase in diagnoses, who can tell. Eventually our grandchildren might be able to after enough time has elapsed for studies to complete and be properly processed by the scientific community.

Therefore, with more people being diagnosed there has been a rise in public awareness of it as well. Look at shows featuring autistic people, or with the protrayal of autistic/asperger's people within the last ten years or so - what was once simply written off as either being a geek, nerd or a truly ******** person, is now being looked at differently. As that happens, you can watch the way humans explore the topic and their reaction to it, in the media, in games, exactly like you describe.

There are good and bad things with this exploration. Like any other topic, it's easy to be disparaging about it. New hot trends are the easiest to mock with little knowledge. At the same time, the fact that it's even there, with any resulting knowledge, is very interesting.

So, in my personal opinion, you hit the nail on the head actually; it's following either the same or a very similiar pattern to 'gay' now. Different reasons, no doubt, but look at the level of acceptance of gay as a term, still derogatory, but at the same time divorced of the origin as hatred for a sexual choice (when used as a pejorative).

Anyway way too philosophical for a game forum perhaps but still fun topic :P
Kaitlin smithson
Murmurs And Whispers
#120 - 2012-04-03 17:38:57 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
Just want to point out that the OP didn't contain any complaints or requests for sympathy. The poster just explained his EvE resume for background and raised a topic for discussion. Come on guys, read the content before you jump to any conclusions! Poor reading and poor listening are epidemic in America (maybe elsewhere too). Smile

(BTW, dad of an autistic (not Asberger's) 12-year-old. Some simple things he struggles with, some very complicated things he's incredibly brilliant with. Completely out of the blue unique talents. Society's not used to autism yet, but eventually it will adapt. There will always be a few racists, haters, ignoramuses, asshats, whatever around, that's a given. But the overall understanding will be better).



be proud of your child sam. people don't realize that a child/children are a gift and you should be proud of what you created. we influence them to be good or bad thru TLC. unfortunately, we can't always watch them 24 hrs a day and stop the bad influences from making them do the wrong things. why would anyone want to lose their freedom and be couped up in a 10 X 10 room? I have a wonderful niece and nephew both autistic and they, too, can turn on a computer, tv, dvd player and use the remote and put on their favorite movies/shows whatever. Once they learned from watching their parents, grandmother,uncles and aunts do it, they learned to do it by themselves. we don't evenhave to change dvd's for them either.
In eve you can blow my ship up to smithereens and my brains away, too, but in real life, you can never take the joy of having two wonderful members of my family away from me just because they're autistic. I'll love them to the end and give them love as long as I wander on this earth. I may not wander throughout all of eve because I'm not in any big alliances but life isn't easy. never has and never will be. Big smile