These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

But...I don't want to fly a Rifter

Author
Kai Sunji
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-04-21 12:26:48 UTC
I started this character with the goal of getting into faction warfare. I have zero pvp experience. Are any of the Caldari frigates and cruisers useful for pvp? I've seen a few rocket kestrel setups bandied about, would that be viable? How about a cheap ewar blackbird?
Corporate Envoy
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-04-21 13:27:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Corporate Envoy
If you can afford losing a cheap Blackbird it will be a welcome addition to any fleet. And if you like being really really annoying, ECM will be right up your alley.
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#3 - 2012-04-21 15:51:29 UTC
The Rifter is far from the only good t1 frigate. Both the Kestrel and the Merlin are great
Liam Mirren
#4 - 2012-04-22 07:17:50 UTC
Both Kestrel and Merlin are great in their own right, in fact a Merlin will win against a Rifter just fine assuming comparable skills/fits. Once you move up a little there's the Harpy, while AFs are quite expensive atm that thing is all kinds of awesome bundled in a tiny package. If you move up in size there's the Blackbird in a support role, Caracal in an anti-frig role and Moa in the "go on, attack me... I'm just a dumb idiot, honest" role. After that you get the amazing Drake and I'm fairly confident the Ferox will get boosted pretty soon.

There are differences between the races ofcourse, the Minnie ships are just way faster, don't rely on cap so much, are easier to fit and have damage type selection but that doesn't mean "must fly Rifter", anyone telling you that should be ignored. Also, I have this hunch that things might be turned up side down completely in the next few months.

Fly what you want to fly.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#5 - 2012-04-22 19:05:22 UTC
Rifter is favored mainly because it's very newbie friendly to fit and can fit to any frigate role from heavy DPS to hero tackler.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#6 - 2012-04-22 19:56:05 UTC
Fly what you want. However I thought I would add that during my short stint in FW I was in the Amarr forces. Everybody I flew with that flew frigates was in a Rifter. However every Minmatar faction pilot in a T1 frigate we came across was in a Punisher (Amarr ship). Apparently there is a bit of 'grass is greener envy' going on.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-04-23 10:29:06 UTC
Hookbill is awesome in FW.

Merlin is a great ship the only problem is that it is realy skill in tensive.

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#8 - 2012-04-23 11:52:19 UTC
A Tristan can hold its own against the other frigates as well, however I'd recommend using a destroyer and slaughtering all frigates on your path instead Twisted
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-04-23 11:57:41 UTC
Then don't fly the rifter, there are plenty of other frigates to fly in EVE

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Lyric Lahnder
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-04-23 14:33:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Lyric Lahnder
The merlin is a rock solid little tackle frigate

1v1 against a rifter if the rifter is fitted and flown properly yes the rifter will win.
But theres tons of stuff a Merlin can kill try this on for size

2 x Light electron blasters Null(s)
2 x Rocket launcher II's

1 x Medium shield extender II
1 x Warp Scrambler II
1 x Stasis Webifier II
1 x 1 mn upgraded Microwarpdrive

1 x Damage control II
1 x Micro auxilliary power core II

2 x small polycarbon rig I
1 x small anti em screen reinforcer I

Also if you plan on tackling and killing big stuff you could use a long point and a tracking disruptor

Blackbird is win

Caracal can be used as a sniper but you must always dictate range and be aligned to GTFO. Low dps but can project it at 159km. Always warp to your target at range. A warp to zero with this in a fight will get you insta popped.

5 x Heavy missile launcher II (caldari navy heavy Scourge missile)
1 x Medium shield extender II
2 x sensor booster II Targeting range script II
1 x Target painter II
1 x 10mn Experimental microwarpdrive II

1 x Ballistic Control Unit II
1 x Damage control II

2 x Hyrdaulic bay thruster I
1 x Anti Em screen reinforcer I

Finally theres the Moa this is a brawler fit. 31k EHP and 280Dps with null at 9km op and 9km fall off

5 x Heavy Ion Blaster II
1 x Small energy neutralizer II

1 x Large Shield extender II
1 x Large shield extender II
1 x Warp scrambler II
1 x 10mn experimental micro warpdrive I

2 x Magnetic field stabilizer II
1 x Tracking enhancer II
1 x Damage Control II

1 x ancillary current router I
2 x Medium core defence shield extender I

So contrary to popular belief the Caldari can bring hurt to a fight. Thank you blaster buff.
Fly smart.

Noir. and Noir Academy are recruiting apply at www.noirmercs.com I Noir Academy: 60 days old must be able to fly at least one tech II frigate. I Noir. Recruits: 4:1 k/d ratio and can fly tech II cruisers.