These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Jettison booby trap - suggestion

First post
Author
Trucky Davis
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-04-12 13:27:44 UTC
Hi all new to the forums, really happy to see you all!

I would love to give a humble suggestion to the community, develop booby traps for Jettison cans, so each time a player steel your cans they blow up - inflicting some damage!

What do you think?

// Trucky Davis -_ Your Hauler/fFreighter for hire_

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2 - 2012-04-12 13:38:43 UTC
I think this isn't the features & ideas forum.
Shaardis
Twin Sun Shipping
#3 - 2012-04-12 13:39:01 UTC
Jetcan booby traps already exist. They say, "Free stuff!!!" Grab from one, and you'll see.
ISD Grossvogel
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#4 - 2012-04-12 13:54:07 UTC
Thread moved from General Discussion.

ISD Grossvogel (ISD Гроссфогель) Captain, Community Communication Liaisons (CCL) Волонтёр группы по взаимодействию с игроками Interstellar Services Department

Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#5 - 2012-04-12 13:59:49 UTC
I'd love to see this. I don't think it should be enough damage to destroy a ship but enough to give the occupant a shock.

Yet another consumable which could be player created.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#6 - 2012-04-12 15:00:15 UTC
Heh heh heh....

Put a large smartbomb in one, and have the option for it to explode if opened by a third party who is not at least blue to you.
(What? it IS a smartbomb in this example)
Katerwaul
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-04-12 18:54:44 UTC
For Decoys & Traps.....

Possible Trap Types
  • Warp Scram.
  • Webifier.
  • Tracking Disruption.
  • Sabotage. (damages and turns off an equipped module at random.)

I think :)

That would be terrifying, you go to grab something from a can & get Warp Scrammed. It'd also be helpful for the onboard computer to warn a new player "Unable to access full inventory information. Attempting to take items from this location may result in harm to ship systems and would be considered theft."

They might actually pay attention then.
Working with everyone to improve New Eden -- Internet Spaceships Iz Serious Business.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2012-04-12 22:12:35 UTC
Sure, but using them in highsec would get you concorded.
Katerwaul
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-04-12 22:20:25 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:

If it tags correctly, then someone taking something out of the can would trigger aggro and in response the item/can goes off confirming aggro & combat options for both sides but not involving concord.
Working with everyone to improve New Eden -- Internet Spaceships Iz Serious Business.
Miles O'Connor
Red Pegasus Fleet
#10 - 2012-04-13 03:22:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Miles O'Connor
Katerwaul wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:

If it tags correctly, then someone taking something out of the can would trigger aggro and in response the item/can goes off confirming aggro & combat options for both sides but not involving concord.

Unless it's an area-effect explosion, as noted above, and a third party is damaged. I can already see people jetting these things all over the place within range of stations, gates, guns, etc.

That said...it would be rather amusing for a while.
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#11 - 2012-04-13 10:11:47 UTC
Trucky Davis wrote:
Hi all new to the forums, really happy to see you all!

I would love to give a humble suggestion to the community, develop booby traps for Jettison cans, so each time a player steel your cans they blow up - inflicting some damage!

What do you think?

Well, its not really an original idea, but i dont think you have thought it through very well.....

Why do people can flip -----> To see if the original can owner will shoot at them, and thus getting agro so they can blow up the can owner.

What will a booby trap can do, and I quote you here "inflicting some damage" ------> Can flipper instantly gains agro and explodes you.

So, after noob miner finally learns that boobytraps get him killed, they will stop being used, appart from bait canflip traps. I guess the initial bit of dammage against the flipper might help in that situation.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

GizzyBoy
Aperture Harmonics
#12 - 2012-04-14 03:34:14 UTC
if you have a group of friends and they happen to love them some pvp and your having trouble with one particular player griefing you.

one way you can catch them out is to have your friend create a can, and then you start using it, your friend remains cloaked
and sits in wait for the eventual aggression.

will it work in your case?
maybe? who knows,

your friend might win, he might lose, you all might loose your ships through some comical tragedy, but at least you tried something different.

There's plenty of areas in the game where a little creativity can make things interesting, because if you did this now you really would want him to play his games so you can nab him.

Victor Bastion
Danger Management
#13 - 2012-04-14 11:25:41 UTC
I for one love the idea. It's been something talked about for a while. Though I think the concept of disabling the ship in some way for a period of time is the better concept. The Web / Warp scram perhaps or simply that their ship get's powered down entirely for 20 seconds and is totally helpless. That would give enough time for a cloaked ship to uncloak, lock and do some damage.

This would allow a ship to drop a can next to a miner alt and cloak and wait for a can flipping sucker to make their move. It would delay them long enough to give the cloak ship time to uncloak, lock and pin them.

Because the can belonged to the cloaked ship they are the ones who have the rights to fire and no area of effect means no concord worries.

Might want to actually have a Bobby trap ammo type that can be placed in the can to make it have this effect. That way you could also have the same device available to put onto other players anchored objects like GSC's. So the PVPer's could have their fun with it too by booby trapping another players containers. But this WOULD trigger concord in high sec as it is in effect a direct attack.

Hell make booby trapping a skill. Then you could have another use for hacking which would be used to find and remove booby traps.