These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Mini-freighter?

First post
Author
Lesath Scorpii
Cyclone Solutions
#1 - 2012-04-10 13:12:50 UTC
A freighter holding 200,000 m3 or so taking the same training as a regular freighter and being a little faster, smaller and agile would be really cool. There's quite a gap between an industrial and a freighter and it really should be filled.

Don't bring up jump freighters, just don't...
lol fourm troll
Doomheim
#2 - 2012-04-10 13:19:16 UTC
Try an orca.
Xearal
Dead's Prostitutes
Initiative Mercenaries
#3 - 2012-04-10 13:45:44 UTC
it's called an Orca

Does railgun ammunition come in Hollow Point?

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#4 - 2012-04-10 13:47:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Ronuken
Heh. I want one. Mentioned it in F&I

Something that's not on a totally different training track, and a lower asset risk, rather than traveling half empty.

The discussion
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=53470

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Nazowa Warsong
Resilience.
The Initiative.
#5 - 2012-04-10 13:51:41 UTC
I see this coming up again and again and every time I give the same answer. Please add this, please...
Tarn Kugisa
Kugisa Dynamics
#6 - 2012-04-10 13:59:46 UTC
If you haul stuff a lot you might have Racial Industrial to V, and after that it only takes about an hour of training.
I'd train for it right now if the skillbooks didn't cost over 100 million for the pair.

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to troll everyone you meet - KuroVolt

General Trajan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-04-10 14:19:40 UTC
actually, i'd like to side step that in favor of being able to repackage ships with rigs on with a bit more mass as a penalty.

this would make my freighter and jump freighter very happy. Big smile
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#8 - 2012-04-10 14:26:12 UTC
Tarn Kugisa wrote:
If you haul stuff a lot you might have Racial Industrial to V, and after that it only takes about an hour of training.
I'd train for it right now if the skillbooks didn't cost over 100 million for the pair.

That gap isn't skills. It's size (and speed).

Something in between, that doesn't require a totally different training plan is what's being asked for. Quite happy for it to take the same skills as a freighter, as is the OP

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Zifrian
The Pannion Domin
Ghostbirds
#9 - 2012-04-10 14:55:26 UTC
Orca was created for this exact purpose.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Nekopyat
Nee-Co
#10 - 2012-04-10 14:55:39 UTC
I am really hoping they revisit this at some point, EvE has all sorts of room for a variety of specialized industrial ships, with a mini-freighter being one of the better defined one.

The Ocra was nice, but they tried to shove too many roles into a single hull. It does them all 'ok', but it is a compromise they never would have considered for a combat ship. The Orca could have been half a dozen new ships, each one filling a specific role well.
lol fourm troll
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-04-10 16:01:45 UTC
I count one role, mining fleet suupport ship, a nice secondary is the ability to haul lots of goods, but that stays under the industry umbrella. Anything else done with the orca is player adapting.
Celeritas 5k
Connoisseurs of Candid Coitus
#12 - 2012-04-10 19:22:36 UTC
Maybe just a boost to the tanky T2 haulers' cargo space? It's messed up that a mastodon has a smaller hold than an itty 5.
Adunh Slavy
#13 - 2012-04-11 00:00:30 UTC
A 250,000 M3 smaller sized freighter would be nice.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#14 - 2012-04-11 01:36:10 UTC
Celeritas 5k wrote:
Maybe just a boost to the tanky T2 haulers' cargo space? It's messed up that a mastodon has a smaller hold than an itty 5.

The T2 DSTs could indeed use a bit of love.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#15 - 2012-04-11 01:37:08 UTC
When you are going slow, being able to haul a massive amount makes a big difference.

Orca is slower than a freighter. I have little use for my Orca as a hauler. I removed the cargo rigs even. For its speed (without having to pulse a MWD), it just doesn't have as good hauling efficiency.

Seriously, try a freighter. You may find that you don't care about 200k ships anymore.
Alyssa SaintCroix
Leihkasse Stammheim
#16 - 2012-04-11 03:39:22 UTC
The only thing I dislike about Orcas and Freighters these days is the price...
D Program
#17 - 2012-04-11 05:29:04 UTC
You feel like this only as newbie. As you get into the game, soon enough you have a Freighter and never will think about this idea ever again. Three months into the game you can be moving tens of billions already.

It's not that the game has to be easier, it's that you have to play better.

What is this sorcery?

http://www.eve-cost.eu

Aurel Svenson
Cyclone Solutions
#18 - 2012-04-11 11:13:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Aurel Svenson
We have a corporate freighter already (I'm her corp-mate)

We would like a corporate mini-freighter as well. It's quite often we're moving loads between 60,000 and 200,000 m3... Honestly, the big freighter is really only needed for strontium clathrates as production materials.

Edit: right, and our freighter pilot is training for a jump freighter and doesn't want to waste 37 days on getting an Orca which does a really crappy job in the mini-freighter role.
Reppyk
The Black Shell
#19 - 2012-04-11 13:14:16 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Orca is slower than a freighter.
Freighter : warp in what, 45s ?
Orca : 10s to enter warp.

Moookaaaaaaaay.

I AM SPACE CAPTAIN REPPYK. BEWARE.

Proud co-admin of frugu.net, a French fansite about EVE !

Khenar
Awesome Corp
#20 - 2012-04-11 15:39:18 UTC
As others have mentioned, the Orca was created for this exact purpose. It was a heavy lobbying point for the CSM that existed before the release of Quantum Rise (the expansion that gave us the Orca) because there was no in-between hauler back then that could serve as a "step-up" from an industrial to a freighter.

It has a sizable Corporate Hangar Array, an ore hold, a Ship Maintenance Array, a large cargohold, a very respectable tank, _and_ the ability to fit gang links. Its ability to swap between tanking, alignment speed, and cargohold depending on what is needed make it a much better option than a regular freighter for everything but the massive cargohold the freighter provides. There's absolutely no need for a "mini-freighter" when the Orca practically has everything but the kitchen sink.

PS: The MWD pulse trick practically halves the time it takes for the Orca to enter warp. If you want it to go faster, then bring a Rapier with you.
123Next pageLast page