These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

What is a pubbie?

First post
Author
Kiandoshia
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-04-01 13:17:51 UTC
Topic title?

I remember a similar term, maybe the same, from the time when I used to play FPS games a lot. People would call random people on public server pubbies...

Also, in before someone answers: 'You!' =p
Farrisen
MoaR ChickeN
#2 - 2012-04-01 13:18:53 UTC
Kiandoshia wrote:
Topic title?

I remember a similar term, maybe the same, from the time when I used to play FPS games a lot. People would call random people on public server pubbies...

Goons Lol

http://i.imgur.com/DWBuV.png

Originally by: CCP Spitfire: It's because of falcon.

Alara IonStorm
#3 - 2012-04-01 13:19:12 UTC
Anyone who isn't a Goon.
Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-04-01 13:20:39 UTC
You'll find out when you turn 12 or 13.
cerbus
Carpe Noctem.
#5 - 2012-04-01 13:20:45 UTC
Kiandoshia wrote:
Topic title?

its a term commonly used for goon swarm members who've yet to reach level 85 on world of warcraft iirc

This character is no longer affiliated with the Caldari Prime Pony Club.

Kiandoshia
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-04-01 13:23:09 UTC
Ah, I was under the impression that anyone who is not in any 0.0 alliance is a pubbie, simply because I thought it actually came from this FPS term...

Why will I understand when I become 12 or 13?
Keen Fallsword
Skyway Patrol
#7 - 2012-04-01 13:27:41 UTC
CCP ally is a pubbie too
Kiandoshia
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-04-01 13:31:08 UTC
Who is not a pubbie?
Black Dranzer
#9 - 2012-04-01 13:31:41 UTC
I've always understood "pubbie" to mean "anybody in an NPC corp". All you really need to know is that it's a derogatory term for somebody of perceived insignificance.
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#10 - 2012-04-01 13:32:44 UTC
Kiandoshia wrote:
Ah, I was under the impression that anyone who is not in any 0.0 alliance is a pubbie, simply because I thought it actually came from this FPS term...

Why will I understand when I become 12 or 13?

The origin is what you thought it was.
Not in the loop, Global chat PUG warrior. Chin stubble was the lost in translation version.

I'd be a "pubbie" if it came down to it. Not tied to any NAP train, with no allegiances. Chribba being a notorious Pubbie. Nobody calls him one though because it might come back to bite them in the ass. Most of us "pubbies" are no threat. None at all.. never will be.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Kiandoshia
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-04-01 13:33:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Kiandoshia
I imagined as much.

Hey, I am a pubbie too =p
Keen Fallsword
Skyway Patrol
#12 - 2012-04-01 13:39:31 UTC
If we can form "Pubbies Nation" we are not longer pubbies ? :)
Kattshiro
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-04-01 13:41:33 UTC
Pubbie comes from fps games to mean public. Use to be PUG... Pick up group. as in "I was just fooling around on a PUG server" As opposed to clan server.
Vyl Vit
#14 - 2012-04-01 14:14:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Vyl Vit
It's an idiotic nickname the leader of the Goons endorsed for use by his mindless minions intended as a pejorative term for anyone but them...as though that's pejorative. You get this sort of thing from people who don't have the sense to recognize they generally have bad ideas, and should stick to naming their dogs "Fido", or "Spot". Either that, or wear a flourescent orange "I" on their backs to signify "idiot" so the general public doesn't have to wait to find out. (PUG still means PUG. No one gave anyone permission to change that one.)

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

SirMille
Sigma Kid Protection Services
#15 - 2012-04-01 14:23:29 UTC  |  Edited by: SirMille
Anyone who is not a memeber of the SomethingAwful.com forums. If you pay your $10 to Lowtax you are a goon, if you don't you are a pubbie. Depending on context it can be a term of endearment or as something akin to a derogatory slur. It's usage began outside this game.

Term of endearment example (except in the case of WIdot and Amok.):
Contrary to popular belief, a large portion of the GSF membercorps are in fact not goons, but pubbies.

Derogatory slur:
You're all pubbies.
Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2012-04-01 14:27:03 UTC
EvECynicalWiki wrote:
Pubbie is a code word issued to players by CFC members so that active forum harrassment can be applied to them, sometimes in the form of threadnaught type behaviour. Otherwise it is a derogatory term used as an insult simply to avoid issues in the belief they can arrogantly dismiss arguments without addressing the topic material presented. It has been unoffically linked to any CFC eugenics policies at this time.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#17 - 2012-04-01 14:28:48 UTC
<< Pubbie and proud of it Bear

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

SirMille
Sigma Kid Protection Services
#18 - 2012-04-01 14:29:10 UTC
Just like you use the word Goon as a dismissive term for our opinions, ideals, and beliefs, we use pubbie in much the same way.

Grumpy Owly is an example of a special subtype of pubbie, known as publord.
Spy 21
Infidelia Black
#19 - 2012-04-01 14:32:45 UTC
+1 just for the topic

Thread disappoints though with only 1 solid reference to short curly things

Obfuscation for the WIN on page 3...

SeaBassSA
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#20 - 2012-04-01 14:34:42 UTC
Vyl Vit wrote:
It's an idiotic nickname the leader of the Goons endorsed for use by his mindless minions intended as a pejorative term for anyone but them...as though that's pejorative. You get this sort of thing from people who don't have the sense to recognize they generally have bad ideas, and should stick to naming their dogs "Fido", or "Spot". Either that, or wear a flourescent orange "I" on their backs to signify "idiot" so the general public doesn't have to wait to find out. (PUG still means PUG. No one gave anyone permission to change that one.)

Given this beautiful poast, I think we should refrain from using pubbie and call them Vyl Vits from now on.

123Next page