These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

WH Podding Ruins Pilot's Face!

Author
Kerono Thalmor
Band of Buggered
Band of Buggered Alliance
#1 - 2012-03-26 20:33:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Kerono Thalmor
(EDIT: This is not a "I LOST MY SHIP AND POD, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!" post, it's just a neat little story I wrote today after getting podded in a WH. I thought it'd be neat of my character suffered some permanent damage after getting podded so far away from the cluster. I'm actually glad it happened, it lets me add something to my character's backstory. I'm a roleplayer at heart xD. That said, here's the story.)

In an unfortunate turn of events, I was forced to destroy my own pod

I was exploring in the Geminate region, F-ZNNG constellation, E-91FV system. I found a wormhole, I decided to go through and check it out. It was owned already, but I decided to play it dangerous. So I made a safe spot and then proceeded to scan for the next few hours. I was down to the last signature I could find, and then they found me. A Cheetah showed up, I warped off, and faster than I've ever done in the past, I got back to the wormhole I came from and got the hell out of that system. I got away from the wormhole back in E-91FV, I retreated to the scanning spot I had used to find the wormhole initially. However, I had lost the signature for the wormhole, so I scanned it down again. I decided to go back to the system, and make a new scan spot and find that last signature. I warped to the sun, making sure to bookmark a spot while in warp. Except, I never made it back to the spot

I was met almost immediately by a Hound. Before I could react, he had scrambled my warp drive and was launching torpedoes at me. My little probe didn't stand a chance, it was built to run in case of danger, not to fight it off. I escaped in my pod, and kept bouncing between my two scan sites in the system so they couldn't scan me down. You might be wondering why I didn't just leave the system. Well, I would have loved to, but I couldn't. In my haste to remain undiscovered at the wormhole I came from, reasoning that they had probably found it by now, I left without bookmarking it. That mistake proved fatal. I was trapped! So, with literally no other option, I self-destructed my capsule

I woke up, back in Republic space. The technicians were there to greet me, except as soon as I left the vat, their normal, cold, observing expressions changed. For some, it was horror, others, it was shock. My head hurt like hell, and I found I couldn't remember a couple things. They checked my clone, it had been up to date when I arrived, none of my skills were missing. One of them, a short woman, handed me a mirror. I was horrified at what I saw

My skin was deathly pale, I had absolutely no hair anywhere on my head, not even my eyebrows. There were defects on my face that had not been there before, and my eyes had gone from grey, to solid white. I don't know how I was able to see, really. Immediately, they began diagnostics on their systems. If I had come through different, then how many other pilots could come through the same way, or even worse? Nothing was wrong on their end. They asked where I was last, I told them, and they realized what had happened

When you've gone through a wormhole, your local channel stops working properly. This is due to there being no comm beacon anywhere within a few light years. Well, when you get podded, it seems that while in most cases your consciousness arrives back in your clone safe and sound, there is a 1 in 10 quadrillion chance that it will not arrive completely. This chance is increased, however, when you're thousands, maybe even millions of light years away from the nearest clone bay. I was unfortunate enough to be that one in 4 quadrillion (I honestly don't know how they came to that figure), and bad things happened to me. The mental scars, that is, a slight personality shift, and loss of certain areas of reasoning, they could very certainly explain. Apparently they had noticed some degradation but dismissed it simply as a calibration error, a problem easily fixed. The physical scars, however, there was a lot of speculation there. Most of them seemed to agree that it was a result of what they called the "Clone Re-modeler", that bit of equipment that can change your hair, give you scars, instant tattoos, change your eye color, etc., receiving an error because of my degraded consciousness. It had apparently permanently altered my genetic code in such a way that there was nothing they could do to fix it without putting me at serious risk of permanent death

They told me it might fix itself over time, but that the chances of that were very small. I will be like this forever, all my future clones are now damaged. As always, I will carry on. My vision is not perfect, nor is my hearing. I can still see and hear with my mind, though, this hasn't affected my pod piloting abilities very much at all. I just hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

█░█░███░███░█░█

███░░█░░██░░█░█

█░█░░█░░█░░░███

Aiden Andraste
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-03-26 20:33:39 UTC
cool story bro.
Glockshna Quant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-03-26 20:46:02 UTC
Aiden Andraste wrote:
cool story bro.

Naia Alland
#4 - 2012-03-26 20:57:42 UTC
Kerono Thalmor wrote:
... I was unfortunate enough to be that one in 4 quadrillion....

I can't imagine your horror of self-destructing one moment and finding yourself emerging in a new clone the next. A clone with it's face stuck in perma-derp-lock. Oh wait, a skin issue with some scarring you say... are you positive you didn't just jump into a teenager backup clone of yourself?
Alexa Coates
Coalition Of Misfits
#5 - 2012-03-26 21:23:35 UTC
nice read.

That's a Templar, an Amarr fighter used by carriers.

Copine Callmeknau
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-03-26 21:33:21 UTC
Kerono Thalmor wrote:
Apparently they had noticed some degradation but dismissed it simply as a calibration error, a problem easily fixed.

I would fuckiing sue mate

There should be a rather awesome pic here