These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

High sec mining, Ateroids or Ice?

Author
faraaj
Pattern Day Traders
#1 - 2011-09-10 01:52:36 UTC
I had a miner a long time ago and knew the numbers but it has been a while. ATM I am pulling about 6 mill an hour in reg ore. Would it be better to train ice and mine ice instead?
Kesshisan
#2 - 2011-09-10 02:11:24 UTC
A little birdie once told me that you could use math to figure out which one will be more profitable.
faraaj
Pattern Day Traders
#3 - 2011-09-10 02:29:07 UTC
How clever you are sir.........
Maven Deltor
Bad Sekta
#4 - 2011-09-10 05:27:01 UTC
You made 6m in an hour? That's just over 2 cans of veld at current prices. Based solely on your effort, I'd say you're probably better off mining ice as it sounds like you're highly distracted and ice mining is better suiting for longer moments of AFK.
Are'zu
Levy Guards
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2011-09-10 15:55:59 UTC
Ice offers longer afk cycles, u can run 3 cycles in the right fit and is therefore somewhat prefered by afk miners. Astroids do sell for more than ice, but if you need fuel, icemining works. There are also less icefields than astroidbelts and are known to have afkers, which means pirates and suiciders will find you more easily, and if youre mining in 0.5 you could easily be taken down before concord comes along.
Tikera Tissant
#6 - 2011-09-11 06:16:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Tikera Tissant
Well, it depends on your skills, and if you are mining alone or not, and if you like to go afk.

If you solo mine, it doesn't really matter. You will get pretty similar yields in terms of isk/hour.
If you can use T2 crystals, ore mining will be best. A hulk fit for high-sec hauling would be best.

If you are in a group, ice mining can give a bit better isk/hour.

And about 0.5 sec areas, well, you can survive if you fit your ships right. A hulk with about 9K EHP can survive long enough for concord to show up most of the time (but if they really want you dead, you are dead).

Edit:
A bit of math:
A fully spec Hulk with T2 crystals without support, should do about 8-10M isk/hour, without counting the round-trips, mining high-sec mines (depends on what you mine ofc).
A fully spec mackinaw with ice harvesters without support, should do about 6M isk/hour, without counting the round-trips.

Main difference, is that in the hulk you will have to be more aware of ore going out.
T1 harvester vs strip miner, its about 7M isk/hour for hulk vs 5M isk/hour for machinaw.
Emperor Salazar
Remote Soviet Industries
Insidious Empire
#7 - 2011-09-12 12:48:06 UTC
Mine ice and store it.

Hopefully soon CCP will remove it from high sec and we will see an awesome price spike in it.
Satav
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2011-09-12 15:33:31 UTC
Hmm i am slightly insulted as you did not care to do the math yourself. (which is not difficult btw.)

However, I shall humor you.

Mining 6 mil an hour in high sec is um.... how shall i put this, horrible. You must have bad skills, mining the least profitable ore or both. You should be making at least 8-10 mil an hour, 12 million with perferct skills and orca bonus.

Personally, i stick with mining PL legion hulls in 0.0 but thats just me.