These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Average ISK in wallet

Author
malaire
#1 - 2012-02-06 07:19:29 UTC  |  Edited by: malaire
Some numbers I found:

* Of the 588tn ISK in character wallets; the richest 200 characters hold 5.98% of that.
* The richest character in EVE only has one third of the wallet balance of the richest corp wallet. I won't say how much though. :)
* The richest 100 characters hold 4.13% of the ISK in character wallets.
* The richest 50 characters? They hold 2.82% of the total balance of character wallets.
* Active accounts only; 745k characters in EVE. 352k in NPC corporations, 393k in player corporations.
* 8.17 million non-deleted characters in EVE; 7.25m in NPC corporations, 0.92m in player corporations.
* 586.6tn ISK in character wallets.372tn on characters on active accounts.
* The mean wallet balance for chars between 5 and 10m SP - 358m ISK. Between 20 and 30m SP - 671m ISK. 50m-75m SP - 1,584m ISK.

Source: http://twitter.com/ccp_diagoras January 24,26-27

ps. below I use 588tn number instead of 586.6tn (difference isn't big). Also note that last line above tells mean values, not average.

AVERAGES

Average for all characters: 588tn ISK / 8.17 mil = 72 million ISK
Average for characters on active accounts: 372tn ISK / 745,000 = 499 million ISK

Average for 200 richest: 588tn ISK * 0.0598 / 200 = 176 billion ISK
Average for 100 richest: 588tn ISK * 0.0413 / 100 = 243 billion ISK
Average for 50 richest: 588tn ISK * 0.0282 / 50 = 332 billion ISK

Average for 51..100 richest: 588tn ISK * (0.0413 - 0.0282) / 50 = 154 billion ISK
Average for 101..200 richest: 588tn ISK * (0.0598 - 0.0413) / 100 = 109 billion ISK

So at least Akita T, Towaoc, Edwin Rothbard, Kara Roideater from http://eveboard.com/fullranks/47-most-isk are among 100 richest characters in EVE (when only checking wallet ISK). Congratulations to all. Big smile

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Jas Dor
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-02-06 07:51:48 UTC
Quote:

In 2007 the richest 1% of the American population owned 34.6% of the country's total wealth, and the next 19% owned 50.5%. Thus, the top 20% of Americans owned 85% of the country's wealth and the bottom 80% of the population owned 15%. Financial inequality was greater than inequality in total wealth, with the top 1% of the population owning 42.7%, the next 19% of Americans owning 50.3%, and the bottom 80% owning 7%.[17] However, after the Great Recession which started in 2007, the share of total wealth owned by the top 1% of the population grew from 34.6% to 37.1%, and that owned by the top 20% of Americans grew from 85% to 87.7%. The Great Recession also caused a drop of 36.1% in median household wealth but a drop of only 11.1% for the top 1%, further widening the gap between the 1% and the 99%.[17][18][19] During the economic expansion between 2002 and 2007, the income of the top 1% grew 10 times faster than the income of the bottom 90%. In this period 66% of total income gains went to the 1%, who in 2007 had a larger share of total income than at any time since 1928.[20]

According to Wikipedia. Its too damn late here for me to think. Can somebody get comparative numbers from the Dev in question. It would be interesting to see if EvE has more or less income inequality than the modern United States.
Steve Celeste
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-02-06 08:12:30 UTC
Most rich players keep their ISK in corp wallets of 1 man corporations to protect it from mistyping a price on the market or misreading the price of a contract.

I am sure that at least 100 players could beat 220 billion on eve-board if they transferred their ISK to their player wallets.

There must be multiple characters with over 10T capital, although getting a ton of ISK usually leads to a lack of interest in the game, feeling like you "won" EVE, if there is such a thing.
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#4 - 2012-02-06 08:17:38 UTC
malaire wrote:
* Of the 588tn ISK in character wallets; the richest 200 characters hold 5.98% of that.
* The richest character in EVE only has one third of the wallet balance of the richest corp wallet. I won't say how much though. :)
* The richest 100 characters hold 4.13% of the ISK in character wallets.
* The richest 50 characters? They hold 2.82% of the total balance of character wallets.

Sadly statistics drawn from the personal wallet balances of individual characters isn't very informative and doesn't really reflect the wealth of actual players, as a rich player's wealth is generally spread between multiple alt and corp wallets as well as a massive pile of assets.

I may appear twice in the top 100 character wallet ballances, with two of my more liquid alts, but in reality I doubt I'm even in the top 200 richest EVE players.

DelBoy Trades
Trotter Independent Traders.
#5 - 2012-02-06 09:03:58 UTC
Steve Celeste wrote:
Most rich players keep their ISK in corp wallets of 1 man corporations to protect it from mistyping a price on the market or misreading the price of a contract.

This...Last week I accidently put a Legion up for sale at 27 billion and lost nearly a quarter billion in broker fees. Another zero or 2 would have been painful.

I'm sure many of the richest players will have a fairly large chunk of their isk in escrow/tied up in investments etc, interesting numbers though..

Damn nature, you scary!

Ocih
Space Mermaids
Somethin Awfull Forums
#6 - 2012-02-06 09:24:54 UTC
Interesting stats none the less.

All derived from API data explaining why corp wallets didn't make it in to the numbers but it is accurate based on my experience. I never took the time to go stat hunting, just used what I knew to be the case and 400 mill was what people usually had available to them.
flakeys
Doomheim
#7 - 2012-02-06 12:58:05 UTC
malaire wrote:
when only checking wallet ISK

The numbers seem VERRY odd if you look at it that way , it would mean that a week or 2 ago i was amongst the top 100 richest chars in eve and today i am allmost at the average rate for ALL players , yet from those 2 weeks ago till now i made at least 6B+ and that's even after i take a 2.9B loss off - damn high sec smartbombsRoll.

Average in wallet is one of the worst ways to calculate , i got a load of ingame friends who have maybe 1 to 2 B in the wallet yet if they would unload their crap now and specially their T2 bpo's they would be in the top 50 rank Blink

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

flakeys
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-02-06 13:06:14 UTC
DelBoy Trades wrote:
Steve Celeste wrote:

This...Last week I accidently put a Legion up for sale at 27 billion and lost nearly a quarter billion in broker fees. Another zero or 2 would have been painful.

Petition it , i got 1.25 B back once because of the same mistake :) '

As allways needed to go wrong first before i also made a seperate corp trade wallet and keep the savings in a seperate corp wallet Lol

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

DIsposible Hero
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-02-06 21:49:57 UTC
Yeah, I like to keep a 1 bil "safety net" in liquid isk, anything over that gets spent. It doesn't mean i've gotten poorer all of a sudden, just that my assets have been converted into DPS Smile

That said, I have no idea how you would track the value of non-liquid assets given the constantly shifting nature of the market.
Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#10 - 2012-02-07 01:41:01 UTC
Bad Bobby wrote:

Sadly statistics drawn from the personal wallet balances of individual characters isn't very informative and doesn't really reflect the wealth of actual players, as a rich player's wealth is generally spread between multiple alt and corp wallets as well as a massive pile of assets.

Yes, pretty much this. The problem is that it's very hard to determine objective wealth numbers based on assets.

For instance, I almost never have more then 1B in liquid ISK laying around. It's either tied up in buy orders, or items that I got for cheap and haven't yet sold or used, or in ships/toys, or as stuff up for sale on the market.

Why let ISK lay around in my wallet being lazy? It should be out there earning me more ISK.
Adunh Slavy
#11 - 2012-02-07 02:19:14 UTC
Total ISK, averages, etc are also meaningless with out some numbers related to productivity.

Suppose there is only 100,000 ISK in the entire economy, but 2 players, making frigs and selling them for 50 ISK each. Or suppose there are 1000 players making frigs and selling them for 10 ISK each. The two situations are quite different , the value of ISK in each case is different, productivity is different, velocity of the money supply is likely different.

One number, in a world of relative values, is meaningless.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

DelBoy Trades
Trotter Independent Traders.
#12 - 2012-02-08 20:00:13 UTC
flakeys wrote:
Petition it , i got 1.25 B back once because of the same mistake :)

I did, and was returned with a warning to please be more careful next time. I've always skimmed anything over a few bilion onto alts out of paranoia of accepting one of those ridiculous contracts.

Damn nature, you scary!

Dersk
Perkone
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-02-08 22:20:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersk
Jas Dor wrote:
It would be interesting to see if EvE has more or less income inequality than the modern United States.

Income inequality is a useless catchphrase used in political circles where people are incapable of speaking in both an educated and truthful manner.

Bill gates, while recently losing the title of "richest man in the world", still has over 50 billion dollars in assets such as Microsoft (c)(R)(tm)(\o/) stocks. He "only" makes 8 figures a year nowadays, and if you were to look in his bank accounts there'd be no clue as to the mass of his wealth.

It is this discrepancy between income, liquid assets, and true wealth that anyone with so much as a checking account and mortgage understands.

Over the summer I took a glimpse at the financial investment involved with alliances that have large amounts of 0.0 infrastructure, supercapitals, and pos equipment. The trillions reported here are cute.
De Guillaume
Van Lanschot Banking
Van Lanschot
#14 - 2012-02-09 10:46:21 UTC
I am only ranked 13th. Oops

Has you ever went so far as chose to go even use want to look more like do?

Fat Buddah
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-02-10 02:39:33 UTC
If you look into the Wallet and Asset API sides only, things get more interesting if you a producer.

Let's say I buy minerals to build an Orca.

This is shown in API as : ISK in wallet goes down but asset goes up. Tie the asset API with EVE-Central then things get roughly balanced. Not perfect but can live with it.

But when I start the production job, suddenly several hundred millions worth of assets simply disappear from the API info.

When the job is done and delivered to hangar, ~500M worth of sh*t appears out of nowhere.

Of course I could pull the data from the Industry API and tie the jobs info with EVE-Central again, but things get real messed up due to BPO/BPC getting mixed up.

It's difficult enough to know the exact value of one's own net asset value, so judging someone else's exact value would be virtually impossible.

malaire
#16 - 2012-02-15 08:38:46 UTC
I saw mentioned in other thread about "how many chars could have over 1 trillion in wallet".

Even throught these numbers are quite meaningless as already said here, I just wanted to calculate this, since I like math. Big smile

So, top 50 chars have 588tn ISK * 0.0282 = 16.5816 tn ISK total, so we get hard limit of max 16 chars.

But if 16 chars would have 1 trillion ISK, other 34 in top 50 would only have 0.58 tn ISK / 34 = 17 bil ISK on average which is not possible since even top 51..100 have 154 bil average and top 17..50 must have more.

If 11 chars have 1 trillion ISK, other 39 of 50 would have 5.58 tn ISK / 39 = 143 bil on average - not possible.

If 10 chars have 1 trillion ISK, other 40 of 50 would have 6.58 tn ISK / 40 = 165 bil on average which is possible in theory with these stats.

So max 10 characters can have over 1 trillion ISK in their character wallet.

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#17 - 2012-02-15 14:21:35 UTC
So if CCP can query wallets, why not query all assets in the game, personal and corporate?
If 3rd party apps can estimate asset wealth, why not CCP?

I would be curious to know exactly how much the value is of EVERYTHING in Eve.
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#18 - 2012-02-15 14:37:18 UTC
malaire wrote:
So max 10 characters can have over 1 trillion ISK in their character wallet.

So is anyone going to own up? Who scoffed all the pies?

It's not me. Since my previous post in this thread I've expended most of my liquidity and wouldn't even appear in the top 200 now.
Freddy Dreamer
Doomheim
#19 - 2012-02-16 13:36:53 UTC
if i were to liquidate all my chars and assets including my collection of all the AT tourney ships i figure i would have over 700bil maybe more. i wonder where i am at compare to the rich industrialist out there What?