These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

My take on the upcoming hilarity~

First post
Author
The Mittani
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2012-02-01 17:11:01 UTC
Here's an analysis of the upcoming election.

Quote:
What does all of this mean? In the era of the 24/7 Skype-wired CSM, the distinction between alts and mains is a relic, so its abandonment is merely recognition of the status quo. The new like-based nomination process will weed out many hopeless candidates, which is significant; past elections had a number of players throw their hats into the ring with no hope of actually getting elected, creating a long and cumbersome ballot. However, there is a substantial risk that an organized bloc will mass-vote weaker candidates past the 100-like-mark to clog the ballot; even a single well-organized corp could do this on a lark and nominate every hopeful. Future elections will almost certainly require a more strict nomination process to be effective.

The fact that only the top seven candidates will attend summits directly increases the power of the most organized player entities, namely the nullsec blocs and Eve University. Only these groups have the power to reliably get more than 2240 votes, the minimum needed to get the seventh slot in the CSM6 contest. A tidier ballot means less wasted votes, further raising the bar to reach the top seven, not to mention the greater expected overall turnout after the performance of CSM6. Grassroots candidates and niche constituencies (wormholers, faction warfare, roleplayers, etc) are likely to fill out the bottom seven slots, but the critical lobbying opportunities of visiting Reykjavik in the flesh will likely be held by the nullsec barons, something that Trebor Daehdoow of CSM6 noted in a recent blog.


no pollyannas zone, all realtalk

~hi~

Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#2 - 2012-02-01 17:18:33 UTC
How are you such a good poster? Teach me your ways.
Krios Ahzek
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2012-02-01 17:29:05 UTC
Akirei Scytale wrote:
How are you such a good poster? Teach me your ways.


You must unlearn what you have learned.

(Leave TEST)

 Though All Men Do Despise Us

Akirei Scytale
Okami Syndicate
#4 - 2012-02-01 17:30:29 UTC
Krios Ahzek wrote:
Akirei Scytale wrote:
How are you such a good poster? Teach me your ways.


You must unlearn what you have learned.

(Leave TEST)


But TEST has taught me to master the badpost! These things are not mutually exclusive.
Krios Ahzek
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-02-01 17:34:14 UTC
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Krios Ahzek wrote:
Akirei Scytale wrote:
How are you such a good poster? Teach me your ways.


You must unlearn what you have learned.

(Leave TEST)


But TEST has taught me to master the badpost! These things are not mutually exclusive.


The secret is to badpost on the EVE forums and goodpost everywhere else.

 Though All Men Do Despise Us

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#6 - 2012-02-01 18:56:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Krios Ahzek wrote:
The secret is to badpost on the EVE forums and goodpost everywhere else.

Consider all the badposting on the EVE-O forums. Perhaps this is not such a great secret?
Quote:
However, there is a substantial risk that an organized bloc will mass-vote weaker candidates past the 100-like-mark to clog the ballot; even a single well-organized corp could do this on a lark and nominate every hopeful.

Can we do this? It would be really great, there are many amazing hisec candidates that really do deserve those 100 likes!

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#7 - 2012-02-01 19:24:50 UTC
Does a bad post thought enter the head right before a pod explosion or right after the pod explosion?

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Krios Ahzek
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-02-01 19:28:06 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:

Consider all the badposting on the EVE-O forums. Perhaps this is not such a great secret?


Unless I'm mistaken, this is the only posting most of them do.

 Though All Men Do Despise Us

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#9 - 2012-02-01 19:29:34 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Krios Ahzek wrote:
The secret is to badpost on the EVE forums and goodpost everywhere else.

Consider all the badposting on the EVE-O forums. Perhaps this is not such a great secret?
Quote:
However, there is a substantial risk that an organized bloc will mass-vote weaker candidates past the 100-like-mark to clog the ballot; even a single well-organized corp could do this on a lark and nominate every hopeful.

Can we do this? It would be really great, there are many amazing hisec candidates that really do deserve those 100 likes!


Of course you can do that, just find another 99 people and promise them they can skip the be scammed by goons phase, and head straight to the be phased out and ignored phase. Pretty good tempting reward I think so, for helping you jip jive elections.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#10 - 2012-02-01 19:37:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
rodyas wrote:
Of course you can do that, just find another 99 people and promise them they can skip the be scammed by goons phase, and head straight to the be phased out and ignored phase. Pretty good tempting reward I think so, for helping you jip jive elections.

What's this scamming you refer to? You mean the SPAIhunts, cause there's a ton of SPAIS here.

I was referring to just getting the hivemind to like all the hisec candidates. Likes on the forum are easy after all. Press butan.

Oh wait, I mean that'll teach us! If only we were able to block them from getting those 100 likes, but I'm sure the amazing forum users will make sure they flood the field with their candidates ...

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Issler Dainze
Tadakastu-Obata Corporation
The Honda Accord
#11 - 2012-02-01 19:51:29 UTC
The Mittani wrote:
Here's an analysis of the upcoming election.

Quote:
What does all of this mean? In the era of the 24/7 Skype-wired CSM, the distinction between alts and mains is a relic, so its abandonment is merely recognition of the status quo. The new like-based nomination process will weed out many hopeless candidates, which is significant; past elections had a number of players throw their hats into the ring with no hope of actually getting elected, creating a long and cumbersome ballot. However, there is a substantial risk that an organized bloc will mass-vote weaker candidates past the 100-like-mark to clog the ballot; even a single well-organized corp could do this on a lark and nominate every hopeful. Future elections will almost certainly require a more strict nomination process to be effective.

The fact that only the top seven candidates will attend summits directly increases the power of the most organized player entities, namely the nullsec blocs and Eve University. Only these groups have the power to reliably get more than 2240 votes, the minimum needed to get the seventh slot in the CSM6 contest. A tidier ballot means less wasted votes, further raising the bar to reach the top seven, not to mention the greater expected overall turnout after the performance of CSM6. Grassroots candidates and niche constituencies (wormholers, faction warfare, roleplayers, etc) are likely to fill out the bottom seven slots, but the critical lobbying opportunities of visiting Reykjavik in the flesh will likely be held by the nullsec barons, something that Trebor Daehdoow of CSM6 noted in a recent blog.


no pollyannas zone, all realtalk


I can't disagree with anything said. The only question in my mind is how much the CSM 6 got the attention of the unaligned high sec pilots. And if they suddenly find themselves feeling the need to get interested in the outcome of the CSM 7 elections if they can "get their shite together" and pull behind a small enough number of candidates to get someone that represents them in the top 7.

That will be a long shot for sure as the powerblocks start out with a huge organizational advantage.

It looks (I hope) to be a very interesting election!

Issler Dainze
Voice of Reason Party CSM 7 Candidate
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#12 - 2012-02-01 20:12:14 UTC
Alavaria, one of the most trusted and held close paranoid theory on the forums is that the goons create alot of candidates which will force the players votes to be spread thin. The goons of course dont fall for this, then come in with a strong vote and easily win the election, or other null sec blocks.

The like system was suppose to just create a few candidates, then those few candidates would have to work really hard to win votes, A good election would be the outcome. But now goons can create a 100 candidates and then they dont have to work hard for votes, a bad election will be the outcome.

As for scamming it is legal in the game, but goons have a notorious rep for it, and take more then a legal glee in performing scams.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Krios Ahzek
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2012-02-01 20:14:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Krios Ahzek
rodyas wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Krios Ahzek wrote:
The secret is to badpost on the EVE forums and goodpost everywhere else.

Consider all the badposting on the EVE-O forums. Perhaps this is not such a great secret?
Quote:
However, there is a substantial risk that an organized bloc will mass-vote weaker candidates past the 100-like-mark to clog the ballot; even a single well-organized corp could do this on a lark and nominate every hopeful.

Can we do this? It would be really great, there are many amazing hisec candidates that really do deserve those 100 likes!


Of course you can do that, just find another 99 people and promise them they can skip the be scammed by goons phase, and head straight to the be phased out and ignored phase. Pretty good tempting reward I think so, for helping you jip jive elections.


Goons don't scam.

I just got in today. I paid my security deposit and processing fees just like everyone else. It took a few weeks but once the check was done, I got all of my ISK back, with interest, and now all of my possessions are on a jump freighter to VFK. You don't get to be a 3300 player corporation by never letting anyone in.

Most people can't stand the background check and subsequent wait and end up calling it a scam, at which point they have failed the test and forfeited their ISK.

Can YOU make it in?

 Though All Men Do Despise Us

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#14 - 2012-02-01 20:15:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
rodyas wrote:
Alavaria, one of the most trusted and held close paranoid theory on the forums is that the goons create alot of candidates which will force the players votes to be spread thin. The goons of course dont fall for this, then come in with a strong vote and easily win the election, or other null sec blocks.

I haven't heard it, so I guess it is indeed held close. But surely all the candidates running about are popping up naturally? They might only need a bit of help if they somehow can't get the 100 likes the deserve...
rodyas wrote:
The like system was suppose to just create a few candidates, then those few candidates would have to work really hard to win votes, A good election would be the outcome. But now goons can create a 100 candidates and then they dont have to work hard for votes, a bad election will be the outcome.

Depends on what you consider bad, of course.

People who love the Mittani's goodposting will be overjoyed to read his updates in the extremely favorable case that he gets another round promoting our heartfelt love for EVE on the next CSM.

EVE Online:Killmails are like love letters

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#15 - 2012-02-01 20:21:49 UTC  |  Edited by: rodyas
He could offer good meta gaming by taking the 100 likes route, not sure about good posting will be upheld with that route. Maybe it can, maybe he can do good posts while good meta gaming.


EDIT: on the part about what candidates deserve, that is a bit lackluster area, hilmar has cut 20% of the company as well as promised no more big adventures for us. So the candidates should not go into the race expecting bigs things will happen or so. Reading the mittani's post he is asking vile rat to step down over it and I imagine all those little cute candidates are gonna have to bite a similar bullet.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#16 - 2012-02-01 20:38:06 UTC
rodyas wrote:
Reading the mittani's post he is asking vile rat to step down over it and I imagine all those little cute candidates are gonna have to bite a similar bullet.

I'm pretty sure Vile Rat didn't want to run. At least that's what I heard.

If by cute candidates you mean the highsec ones, well I don't think they would follow the Mittani's orders. We would be better off if they did, but alas life is never so easy. One needs must work to obtain explosions.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#17 - 2012-02-01 20:56:08 UTC
He is indeed vile then for not wanting to run again. But anyhow good luck getting hi seccerers to like you in order for them to go to low and null to be blown up.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#18 - 2012-02-01 21:10:53 UTC
My own personal intuition is that EVE is going to be alright for a while and so the current CSM is right in the short term, but in the long term, EVE is going to take a deadly blow whenever someone realizes that CCP abandoned a market niche they used to hold for years.
Shazzam Vokanavom
Doomheim
#19 - 2012-02-01 21:50:42 UTC
A bad post usually follows the thought: "What kind of pygmalion should I create today?" Blink
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#20 - 2012-02-01 21:59:13 UTC
Krios Ahzek wrote:
I just got in today. I paid my security deposit and processing fees just like everyone else. It took a few weeks but once the check was done, I got all of my ISK back, with interest, and now all of my possessions are on a jump freighter to VFK. You don't get to be a 3300 player corporation by never letting anyone in.


btw, the rhea with your stuff was killed by belt rats

sorry :\

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

123Next page