These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Booby-trapped container

Author
Daedalus II
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-01-09 14:40:14 UTC
My idea here is for haulers to be able to give their cargo some sort of protection (or at least stop it from reaching the hands of their enemy).

The functionality should be simple:
The container can't be anchored in space, but whenever it's either opened or picked up by anyone other than its owner it would explode, heavily damaging or destroying the offending ship and destroying all its contents in the process.

It should not be concealed as a harmless container (well it will look like any other container, but the info should clearly state that it's booby-trapped). A warning window should also pop up before opening or picking it up.

There is a cost to using them though. They are both more expensive and less efficient than your standard container. A standard container can contain a bit more than their own volume. The booby-trapped containers should be the other way around, perhaps only being able to contain 50% of their own volume (the rest is taken up by explosives).

Hence, if you want to "protect" your cargo you would have to both pay more and only be able to carry half as much. Typically I would assume that you haul bulk stuff without protection and put expensive low volume stuff in these containers.
Stringar
I Am America and So Can You
#2 - 2012-01-09 15:36:05 UTC
would make them think twice about stealing Lol
Jenshae Chiroptera
#3 - 2012-01-09 16:15:14 UTC
Quote:
now, that would be a fun idea just needs a little work namely that it explodes when you open it
so if thats in space, it causes severe damage to your ship
if its in your cargo hold, it blows your ship and pod up
if its in a station, it causes severe damage to all your stored items

*Arches an eyebrow*

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Daedalus II
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-01-09 17:22:43 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Quote:
now, that would be a fun idea just needs a little work namely that it explodes when you open it
so if thats in space, it causes severe damage to your ship
if its in your cargo hold, it blows your ship and pod up
if its in a station, it causes severe damage to all your stored items

*Arches an eyebrow*

I thought about the same thing myself, it sounds fun, but also an itsy bitsy bit overpowered :D
The amount of griefing one could do posting those letter bombs in contracts...
Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-01-10 18:53:55 UTC
As long as it becomes permanently sealed and explodes on next opening no matter who opens it, owner included.
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#6 - 2012-01-10 19:42:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
Should be a basic function of the ship. Normally you select cargo and right-click > Eject Jetcan.

Well, in this case, you select 4 Mjolnir Rage Torpedoes and a chunk of ore, Right-click, and eject Blastcan. - Pretend you're mining into it, and when a looter comes in you just stray ever so slightly away in search of a new rock.

Looter comes up, opens can to look inside and snatches the ore to promote agression; without noticing that the can has less cargo capacity than it should, (Just enough to hold one chunk of ore. The Agression kicks in as normal and the can explodes with an alpha equivalent to the 4 Rage Torpedoes on his probably stationary ship.

Everyone gets a good laugh.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Daedalus II
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-01-10 19:52:30 UTC
Caliph Muhammed wrote:
As long as it becomes permanently sealed and explodes on next opening no matter who opens it, owner included.

I could live with that. Without a booby-trapped container the cargo would have been lost anyway.

But from a usage standpoint it seems a bit weird, I mean how could the container be used at all if it always exploded as soon as you opened it? Or is it somehow intelligent enough to recognize that the ship exploded and it's now in space instead of in a cargohold, but not intelligent enough to take a defuse-code from its owner?
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#8 - 2012-01-11 02:32:13 UTC
I had a similar one but that involves enhancing hacking profession. The can's computer uploads a nasty virus if the hacker makes a mistake.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

M'nu
Vard School of Cryo Cuisine
#9 - 2012-01-11 02:44:27 UTC
+1, but I would change your idea to this. What you mentioned could "destroy" hisec I dropped a can "duels". If that is even worth saving is worthy of a diff thread.

Allow secure containers to be hacked by a codebreaker.

Allow what you are proposing, but have some skill trained to V to be able to anchor these cans that mimic secure cans. The difference between these and the normal ones that you cant normally open, is that these have an set to be determined percent chance to not only not open for them with a successful codebreaker attempt, but to also damage said intruder.

The reasoning behind this, is; even if you do anchor a can in hisec or losec that is password protected, and you store stuff in it and use it regularly, there should still be a means for your stuff to get ganked other than waiting for you to warp to it. After all, EvE is never safe.