These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

can you grow a steak from stem cells

Author
JC Mieyli
Two Steps From Hell
#1 - 2017-05-25 18:45:36 UTC
like a 3 ton steak
and maybe like a 3 ton cucumber
maybe this is the solution
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#2 - 2017-05-25 21:17:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
I think you could, if you would have a vat so big to grow it. And pumps to pump nutrients, and some security barriers and flamethrowers so it would not escape from laboratory. Better to be prepared. ☣
Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#3 - 2017-05-26 02:27:26 UTC
Theoretically, yes, you can grow steak using stem cells.

In fact, skip the stem cells entirely and just 'print' the steak using bone and muscle cells as ink and collagen scaffold as media. Technology isn't really there yet but it is getting there. We have started seeing organs getting printed after all.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

JC Mieyli
Two Steps From Hell
#4 - 2017-05-26 06:17:47 UTC
can it work for veg too
maybe this is the best way to get space food and probably earth people can eat it too
Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#5 - 2017-05-26 07:58:47 UTC
JC Mieyli wrote:
can it work for veg too
maybe this is the best way to get space food and probably earth people can eat it too


Best way is actually potatoes for carbs and beans or mushrooms for proteins. Meat production, no matter how you do it, is very inefficient and they also do not store well, while in dry conditions, potatoes and beans can be kept forever while mushrooms are just so easy to grow. In space, steak will be considered a luxury item instead of staple food.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#6 - 2017-05-26 09:13:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Elmund Egivand wrote:
JC Mieyli wrote:
can it work for veg too
maybe this is the best way to get space food and probably earth people can eat it too


Best way is actually potatoes for carbs and beans or mushrooms for proteins. Meat production, no matter how you do it, is very inefficient and they also do not store well, while in dry conditions, potatoes and beans can be kept forever while mushrooms are just so easy to grow. In space, steak will be considered a luxury item instead of staple food.

I think you could use cell that is engineered by use of CRISPR to produce good amounts of good tasting chemicals, for example final product could contain myoglobin, vitamin B, zinc, glutamates and many other tasty nutrients and could be composed into a nice patee spread, squeezable from a tube. You could get different flavours: chicken, beef, seafood and so on. Protein delicacies. 👌👌🚀
Industrially you then could get it on a big scale. It would make a nice spread on a toast.

Wait, did I said toast?... now I remember something, crunchy food is forbidden for now in space station because of lack of gravity and breadcrumbs that fly everywhere and get into fans and hairs. You have to use moist, pancake-like bread. 😟

But in EVE we have artificial gravity and breadcrumbs fall to be eaten by fedo. 😎👍
JC Mieyli
Two Steps From Hell
#7 - 2017-05-26 10:14:46 UTC
lack of gravity is the thing that sucks the most about space travel atm i guess
and gravity is the thing that sucks most about earth travel wow
Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#8 - 2017-05-30 03:17:24 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Elmund Egivand wrote:
JC Mieyli wrote:
can it work for veg too
maybe this is the best way to get space food and probably earth people can eat it too


Best way is actually potatoes for carbs and beans or mushrooms for proteins. Meat production, no matter how you do it, is very inefficient and they also do not store well, while in dry conditions, potatoes and beans can be kept forever while mushrooms are just so easy to grow. In space, steak will be considered a luxury item instead of staple food.

I think you could use cell that is engineered by use of CRISPR to produce good amounts of good tasting chemicals, for example final product could contain myoglobin, vitamin B, zinc, glutamates and many other tasty nutrients and could be composed into a nice patee spread, squeezable from a tube. You could get different flavours: chicken, beef, seafood and so on. Protein delicacies. 👌👌🚀
Industrially you then could get it on a big scale. It would make a nice spread on a toast.

Wait, did I said toast?... now I remember something, crunchy food is forbidden for now in space station because of lack of gravity and breadcrumbs that fly everywhere and get into fans and hairs. You have to use moist, pancake-like bread. 😟

But in EVE we have artificial gravity and breadcrumbs fall to be eaten by fedo. 😎👍


Mushrooms that taste like chicken? I'm okay with it.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#9 - 2017-05-30 08:39:38 UTC
Old School Sci Fi trivia time.

In what book did they depict meat grown merely from cells.


Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Royaldo
Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk Amarr branch.
Sev3rance
#10 - 2017-06-02 13:13:08 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Old School Sci Fi trivia time.

In what book did they depict meat grown merely from cells.



Auf Zwei Planeten?
LordOdysseus
The Illuminatii
Wrecktical Supremacy.
#11 - 2017-06-03 04:30:30 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#12 - 2017-06-03 07:47:41 UTC
Royaldo wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Old School Sci Fi trivia time.

In what book did they depict meat grown merely from cells.



Auf Zwei Planeten?



Might not be the one I'm thinking about. Tell me more.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Gimme Sake
State War Academy
Caldari State
#13 - 2017-06-05 10:13:51 UTC
Would a brain grown out of steam cells mind it was made out of steam cells? And, if yes, would it ask itself "Why do I taste like chicken?"

"Never not blob!" ~ Plato