These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

More RL Concord news

Author
#1 - 2017-04-07 16:45:49 UTC



Quote:
An off-Earth economy cannot truly take off unless moon miners and other pioneering entrepreneurs are able to operate in a safe and stable environment, said Air Force Lt. Col. Thomas Schilling, of Air University.



Appears the US Air Force might be space cop in the future.

Perhaps these people need to look at Eve Online and see this already-existing social experiment? If anybody here can get the ear of Lt. Col. Thomas Schilling it could be worthwhile.

The way I see it: we either have "space cops" and bear the cost of it (meaning space taxation out the wazoo) or we put guns on every ship.

The only real difference is that nobody is coming back in a new body.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

#2 - 2017-04-07 16:49:22 UTC
Whoa... looking for contact info and found this.

Eve players might be interested

Somebody give the Colonel a PLEX.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

#3 - 2017-04-07 16:49:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
I see the State Police enforcer protecting the State Company worker in the space in future in my crystal ball. Company assets will be protected and company will be paying taxes for those police forces.
#4 - 2017-04-09 06:43:20 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
I see the State Police enforcer protecting the State Company worker in the space in future in my crystal ball. Company assets will be protected and company will be paying taxes for those police forces.



States and corporations (who go to states to get incorporated) don't like to yield power so easily. The concept of Eve is that it's all up to corporations and alliances. But a state may see protection of commerce as a cash cow when it taxes said commerce.

I would not be surprised to see a kind of struggle occur in the space colonization years, which will be driven by resource harvesting once the resources are needed (that will be when space stations are all the rage because the cost of putting materials in orbit would make it a revenue sink), when security out on the frontier must be handled by corporate based asset protection but in the sectors around earth some kind of government entity lest different corporation start freebooting on each other.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

#5 - 2017-04-11 00:04:16 UTC
Wow. Lt. Col. Schilling is pretty cool, he's been doing some thinking and projecting into the future. He mentions "choke points," which is an old concept from naval strategy. The passage from the Red Sea around the Horn of Africa is one, the Molucca Straits is another. The state military people saw them as spots to that might be contested between states. I guess what they didn't consider was that both of them would attract enterprising pirates (from Somalia and Indonesia). Or that merchant commerce could be so affected by small, fast sea craft. Looks like Lt. Col. Schilling is thinking in terms of what will happen if there's a vulnerable spot, and smart private individuals do the natural thing and figure out ways to exploit it. Yeah, he's an EVE-thinker.



#6 - 2017-04-22 02:12:28 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Wow. Lt. Col. Schilling is pretty cool, he's been doing some thinking and projecting into the future. He mentions "choke points," which is an old concept from naval strategy. The passage from the Red Sea around the Horn of Africa is one, the Molucca Straits is another. The state military people saw them as spots to that might be contested between states. I guess what they didn't consider was that both of them would attract enterprising pirates (from Somalia and Indonesia). Or that merchant commerce could be so affected by small, fast sea craft. Looks like Lt. Col. Schilling is thinking in terms of what will happen if there's a vulnerable spot, and smart private individuals do the natural thing and figure out ways to exploit it. Yeah, he's an EVE-thinker.






If I had the time I would make it a mission to find out of he plays Eve and if not, get him to try it.
(and then gank him -- ok just kidding had to throw that in there)

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Amarr Empire
#7 - 2017-05-01 03:41:19 UTC
Imagine playing eve online but for real... It's your job to control 20 mining barges for 8 hours daily.
Lag, disconnects and space pirates included.
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2017-05-01 17:44:42 UTC
a man thinks he would probably lose his mind and be yelled at by the Minmatar for using their gates entirely too much in an RL situation.
Endless Black Ocean Spiritual Society
#9 - 2017-05-02 00:11:59 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
The only real difference is that nobody is coming back in a new body.



Not too sure about that. Walt Disney has been put on ice, and I figure Trump will be eventually too. Perhaps we'll see costs cut by someone buying their universal soldier selves and mass marketing them, resulting in a RL CONCORD entirely populated by Disney and Trump clone troopers.

I only post here if EvE is offline. Which means my posts are never well timed.

EAT KRABSAK.

#10 - 2017-05-02 00:29:51 UTC
Cybertherion wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
The only real difference is that nobody is coming back in a new body.



Not too sure about that. Walt Disney has been put on ice, and I figure Trump will be eventually too. Perhaps we'll see costs cut by someone buying their universal soldier selves and mass marketing them, resulting in a RL CONCORD entirely populated by Disney and Trump clone troopers.



Well there's talk of reviving frozen brains already and "head transplants".

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Forum Jump