These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

ECM Burst- Usage, Effectiveness, and Consequences

Author
Captain JeanLuke Picard
Hobo Mining Consortium
#1 - 2017-03-09 20:53:53 UTC
Doing some antiganking in .5 space Uedama I used an ecm burst last night on a freighter gank, on 16 catalysts with eccms and 10 purifiers and 3 neutrals, the ecm burst broke the target lock of 6 of them plus 2 catalysts jammed for 30sec with 9.5 points of overheated jam strength in a griffin, it felt like I made a small difference against overwhelming odds, that almost saved the freighter down to the last second, if only there had been 3 or 6 of us. Here's a video sry about the screen rez: Freighter antigank ecm burst vid

I lost .4 security for the 2 neutrals i hit with ecm, not much, and they both got killrights on me, didn't attack their ships, they didn't lose their ships either, just for ecm burst only- 2 killrights seems a bit harsh. I made about 100mil off of catalyst/purifier/hound wrecks and salvage that day just mopping up, and very few of the freighter pilots had any reinforced bulkheads on, makes me wonder if they are really bots.
Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#2 - 2017-03-09 21:12:23 UTC
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:
makes me wonder if they are really bots.

Nope. They probably just don't know or even care what's going on in the game outside of their little bubble. Most players are like this, not just space truckers.
Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#3 - 2017-03-09 22:59:22 UTC
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:
Doing some antiganking in .5 space Uedama I used an ecm burst last night on a freighter gank, on 16 catalysts with eccms and 10 purifiers and 3 neutrals, the ecm burst broke the target lock of 6 of them plus 2 catalysts jammed for 30sec with 9.5 points of overheated jam strength in a griffin, it felt like I made a small difference against overwhelming odds, that almost saved the freighter down to the last second, if only there had been 3 or 6 of us. Here's a video sry about the screen rez: Freighter antigank ecm burst vid

I lost .4 security for the 2 neutrals i hit with ecm, not much, and they both got killrights on me, didn't attack their ships, they didn't lose their ships either, just for ecm burst only- 2 killrights seems a bit harsh. I made about 100mil off of catalyst/purifier/hound wrecks and salvage that day just mopping up, and very few of the freighter pilots had any reinforced bulkheads on, makes me wonder if they are really bots.

You knowingly illegally agressed 2 completely blameless innocent pilots who had not agressed you or illegally agressed anybody else. Sounds like you sir are the bad guy in this story

Member and Judge of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Noragens basically the Chribba of C&P - Zimmy Zeta

Confirming that we all play in Noragen's eve. - BeBopAReBop

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

'"****station games" - Sun Tzu' - Ralph King Griffin

Benson en Efnyssen
Celtic Anarchy
Dead Terrorists
#4 - 2017-03-09 23:36:09 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:
makes me wonder if they are really bots.

Nope. They probably just don't know or even care what's going on in the game outside of their little bubble. Most players are like this, not just space truckers.


I'd say this. The amount that fly through Uedama and Niarja either auto piloting or without tank shows as much. This weekend I went through that way I was moving several billion and I did it in four trips in an Impel. It's unlikely you'll stop a freighter gank while itsl's happening, best thing you can do is try to snatch the loot!

On the ECM burst note I'm looking forward to (bubbles permitting) warping my Suicide Scorpion ECM/Smarbomb into the Fight Club shenanigans in Catch this Saturday.
Pix Severus
Empty You
#5 - 2017-03-10 03:44:42 UTC
Noragen Neirfallas wrote:
You knowingly illegally agressed 2 completely blameless innocent pilots who had not agressed you or illegally agressed anybody else. Sounds like you sir are the bad guy in this story


Agreed. The real Jean Luc Picard wouldn't be so quick to endanger innocents.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Tig Shnifer
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2017-03-10 12:17:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Tig Shnifer
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:
and very few of the freighter pilots had any reinforced bulkheads on, makes me wonder if they are really bots.


It's unlikely they're bots as in actually bot software. The code.'s description of "bot aspirant" is pretty fitting.

If you look at all the complaining and ill thought out "solutions to ganking" posted on eve-o you will see they aren't bots, they just don't want to play the game, whilst still being rewarded for playing the game.
They want their isk and a plex so they can play for another month, but they don't want to actually do anything past accepting a contract, sticking cargo in and watching netflix for an hour while their ship autopilots.

This is the core problem with the anti ganking movement. There will always be another hauler that sticks 2bn of stuff in an untanked ship and autopilots through known gank systems, or another miner who puts 500 mil of modules on an untanked soloable ship then mines afk in a 0.5. It doesn't matter how hard you try to protect them, you'll never stop ganking simply because the victims often don't want to protect themselves.

That said, ganking and anti ganking is good practice and good fun.
Sasha Nemtsov
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2017-03-10 14:32:00 UTC
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:
that almost saved the freighter


I think that sums it up quite nicely, Captain.
Dom Arkaral
Bannheim
Cuttlefish Collective
#8 - 2017-03-10 14:51:01 UTC
Sasha Nemtsov wrote:
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:
that almost saved the freighter


I think that sums it up quite nicely, Captain.

Almost

But you know, CODE. won the moment he planned to disrupt the gank Lol

Tear Gatherer. Quebecker. Has no Honer. Salt Harvester.

Broadcast 4 Reps -- YOU ARE NOT ALONE, EVER

Instigator of the First ISD Thunderdome

CCL Loyalist

Sol epoch
HELVEGEN
#9 - 2017-03-11 01:54:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Sol epoch
Dom Arkaral wrote:
Sasha Nemtsov wrote:
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:
that almost saved the freighter


I think that sums it up quite nicely, Captain.

Almost

But you know, CODE. won the moment he planned to disrupt the gank Lol


Shut up you tart! you would try to punch yourself and miss, like Saeger and Xorphic or whatever them girls are called.
Dom Arkaral
Bannheim
Cuttlefish Collective
#10 - 2017-03-11 02:11:58 UTC
Sol epoch wrote:
Dom Arkaral wrote:
Sasha Nemtsov wrote:
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:
that almost saved the freighter


I think that sums it up quite nicely, Captain.

Almost

But you know, CODE. won the moment he planned to disrupt the gank Lol


Shut up you tart! you would try to punch yourself and miss, like Saeger and Xorphic or whatever them girls are called.

Miner, calm down
I thought you knew better than to talk **** to people who literally don't care Roll

Tear Gatherer. Quebecker. Has no Honer. Salt Harvester.

Broadcast 4 Reps -- YOU ARE NOT ALONE, EVER

Instigator of the First ISD Thunderdome

CCL Loyalist

Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#11 - 2017-03-12 02:54:46 UTC
Sol epoch wrote:
Dom Arkaral wrote:
Sasha Nemtsov wrote:
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:
that almost saved the freighter


I think that sums it up quite nicely, Captain.

Almost

But you know, CODE. won the moment he planned to disrupt the gank Lol


Shut up you tart! you would try to punch yourself and miss, like Saeger and Xorphic or whatever them girls are called.

I musta missed something. Did they have unwanted contact with one of your internet spaceships possibly resulting in your demise or do you just get attached really easily?

Member and Judge of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Noragens basically the Chribba of C&P - Zimmy Zeta

Confirming that we all play in Noragen's eve. - BeBopAReBop

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

'"****station games" - Sun Tzu' - Ralph King Griffin

1Lt Aldo Raine
Doomheim
#12 - 2017-03-13 16:29:33 UTC  |  Edited by: 1Lt Aldo Raine
The Captain is right, and not just because he outranks me.

ECM Burst should have far less dire consequences for security status, if at all. The killrights alone are consequence enough. Especially against ships that can't target other ships, aka capsules.

No more human shields Jason Kusion. 'Floaters' are people too!

Plus It's high time gankers got a nerf. ECM Burst Gankers that is!

Proud member of the High Sec Militia, the combat arm of the Anti-Ganking movement.

Mike Adoulin
Adolescent Radioactive Pirate Hamsters
CODE.
#13 - 2017-03-13 21:45:29 UTC
1Lt Aldo Raine wrote:
wisdom



I completely agree. Why, I should be able to ECM burst folks all day in hisec and not even go Suspect.

*checks sensor strengths of barges and exhumers again*

*looks at his ECM burst Scorpion*

Bear

Everything in EVE is a trap.

And if it isn't, it's your job to make it a trap...:)

You want to know what immorality in EVE Online looks like? Look no further than Ripard "Jester" Teg.

Chribba is the Chuck Norris of EVE.

Azov Rassau
The Hornets Cartel
#14 - 2017-03-13 22:20:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Azov Rassau
Captain JeanLuke Picard wrote:

Ooh wow. That video brought back tons of beautiful Highsec AG memories. I like it how you placed all your overheated jammers on the Function keys to quickly activate them. It requires some practice but it works because it's quick. I have saved so many miners with that setup. While ECCM provides some nice boost to Cata's sensors, even a Double-ECCM Catalyst can get jammed by a well-skilled Falcon pilot who activates, in ample time, 5-6 overheated magnetometric jammers on it.

Of course, there were times when my jamming attempt would fail either because I screwed up (every second counts in such situation) or the ganker had an unexpectedly strong ECCM-oriented fit or, in one case, the ganker brings with him a Suicide-Griffin to jam me so that I cannot jam his ganker alt ShockedSmile (Quality Highsec Content there, folks - I saw this happen a few times during the 2013 CFC Caldari Ice Interdiction)

Regardless of the outcome, (your success or failure) GFs in local with the ganker follow but that goes without saying for many. Oh, also I used to learn a lot by watching my recording of the encounter (everything happens within 20 seconds) to see possible mistakes of mine, the general review of the situation and also to think about changing and adapting my tactics to ruin his next gank. So my recommendation for you would be to record as many encounters as possible.

I fully agree with you about the fact that it's better when there are multiple ECM ships around. I remember that time when the situation had become hilarious and ironic on a superior level as we had teamed up with Goon Anti-Gankers to disrupt the Confederation of xXPIZZAXx's freighter ganking fleets in Niarja a few years ago. It was great fun.. Lol

Highsec can indeed be great fun after all. Miners, Gankers and Anti-Gankers all contribute to it.


1Lt Aldo Raine wrote:
The Captain is right, and not just because he outranks me.

ECM Burst should have far less dire consequences for security status, if at all. The killrights alone are consequence enough. Especially against ships that can't target other ships, aka capsules.

No more human shields Jason Kusion. 'Floaters' are people too!

Plus It's high time gankers got a nerf. ECM Burst Gankers that is!

I saw on the HSM blog the other day that you guys killed over 400 ganker scouts within a month. That's crazy, allow me to use this post to say Well Done! Smile I wish I could have the occasion to join those ops (blame rl shenanigans). Ganking their scouts en masse is great. You know, if more people had your attitude (that is, shooting your enemies instead of crying on forums) Highsec would be a much better and fun place for everyone involved.

Be the change you want to see in Highsec.

Anti-Ganking Fun: www.gankerjamming.com