These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

cut the front of the venture off or add third turret point

Author
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2016-11-22 05:55:25 UTC
It's weird seeing it only be able to fit two turrets when it has 3 boxes and was designed around 3 hardpoints

http://i.imgur.com/7zRn4afh.jpg
Right on the dotted line so that there's only two hardpoints for the turrets and gets rid of the unnecessary third compartment.
Or give it access to all three for mining laser turrets so it's not wonky looking.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#2 - 2016-11-22 06:31:52 UTC
It is better for a ship to graphically have more potential hardpoints than less. It gives DEVs more flexibility in how they can adjust the stats without having to harangue the Art team.

There are other ships that share this little quirk
Off the top of my head...
- Vexor
- Hyperion
- Omen Navy
- Armageddon
- Curor

In any case... you can always slap on a salvager to the extra high-slot to ease your OCD.
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2016-11-22 06:36:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Matthias Ancaladron
ShahFluffers wrote:
It is better for a ship to graphically have more potential hardpoints than less. It gives DEVs more flexibility in how they can adjust the stats without having to harangue the Art team.

- Vexor
- Hyperion
- Omen Navy
- Armageddon
- Curor

In any case... you can always slap on a salvager to the extra high-slot to ease your OCD.

That's actually what I've done and left it offline in the middle slot so I have a laser in the front and back and it's more symmetrical.
Just seems like a waste of a high slot/potentional hardpoint.
They could give it an extra low for another mining upgrade and drop the third highslot altogether too.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#4 - 2016-11-22 06:46:13 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
It is not quite that simple.

If you give a ship an extra low slot and an extra turret slot, you then have to increase the CPU and Powergrid to allow for greater fitting room.

But then you run into the issue of people using it for purposes beyond mining. Or instead of mining altogether. And then you have to consider what it can and cannot do relative to other ships.

Right now you can make a half-ass combat ship out of the Venture (better than any of the Rookie/Corvette ships).

If an extra turret slot is added you can get a fair bit more combat potential out of it. Combined that with the Venture's innate +2 warp strength you might have the makings of the perfect cheapo hit and run ship that makes other combat ships less desirable.

An extra low slot? You can add to the ship's already high agility... making almost like an Interceptor... but cheaper.

Yeah... ship balancing is never as simple as "add a slot and we are done." It goes WAY beyond that.

edit: also consider that while a "utility high slot" (a high slot with no turret or missile hardpoint) may be useless for you... it may not be so for another player.

Some may find use in slapping on a Tractor Beam.
Or fitting a probe launcher.

You never know.
Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#5 - 2016-11-22 14:53:16 UTC
The venture originally was going to have three turret slots.
Under this idea, the art team made the current design.

Some testing led the devs to cut down the turrets to two, but the art was already done.

Hence why the Venture looks as it does now.

The Venture is too new for an art redesign already... and since it set the pattern for the modern look of ORE ships, I don't see it getting replaced any time soon.

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Scuzzy Logic
Space Spuds
#6 - 2016-11-22 18:21:50 UTC
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:

Some testing led the devs to cut down the turrets to two, but the art was already done.

The Venture is too new for an art redesign already... and since it set the pattern for the modern look of ORE ships, I don't see it getting replaced any time soon.

--Gadget

I don't think you understand just how easy it is to chop the model. About 30 mins of restitching the textures and about 4 mins redoing the model in 3DSMax...

Also, the main reason the Venture doesn't have 3 hardpoints is because of gas cloud harvesting.
Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#7 - 2016-11-22 18:50:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Gadget Helmsdottir
Scuzzy Logic wrote:

I don't think you understand just how easy it is to chop the model.

Quite correct.

My careers have led me to tread very different paths, so I'll take your word on the above info.

Maybe it's on the back burner... right behind WiS. Blink

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#8 - 2016-11-22 18:56:48 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:

- Vexor
- Hyperion
- Omen Navy
- Armageddon
- Curor

That's actually what I've done and left it offline in the middle slot so I have a laser in the front and back and it's more symmetrical.
Just seems like a waste of a high slot/potentional hardpoint.

So, say they implement this idea.

When you put two miners and a salvager on a venture afterwards, where does the salvager go?

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2016-11-22 20:31:07 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
edit: also consider that while a "utility high slot" (a high slot with no turret or missile hardpoint) may be useless for you... it may not be so for another player.

Some may find use in slapping on a Tractor Beam.
Or fitting a probe launcher.

You never know.

Or you know - a PL batphone (aka a cyno)

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#10 - 2016-11-22 20:44:04 UTC
Scuzzy Logic wrote:

--Gadget

I don't think you understand just how easy it is to chop the model. About 30 mins of restitching the textures and about 4 mins redoing the model in 3DSMax....

And then you have to recode the ship itself so that turrets cannot be placed in the empty space in front of the ship (because turret placement can be toyed with), resize the hitbox, make sure the texture does spaz out for whatever reason (because **computers**)... and all because some people can't deal with what essentially equates to a "quirk."

And then the DEVs have to go through all that again if or when they decide to rebalance the ship.

Yeah... if I was a DEV I would be throwing popcorn at this thread saying "lolno."
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#11 - 2016-11-22 21:50:21 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Scuzzy Logic wrote:

--Gadget

I don't think you understand just how easy it is to chop the model. About 30 mins of restitching the textures and about 4 mins redoing the model in 3DSMax....

And then you have to recode the ship itself so that turrets cannot be placed in the empty space in front of the ship (because turret placement can be toyed with), resize the hitbox, make sure the texture does spaz out for whatever reason (because **computers**)... and all because some people can't deal with what essentially equates to a "quirk."

And then the DEVs have to go through all that again if or when they decide to rebalance the ship.

Yeah... if I was a DEV I would be throwing popcorn at this thread saying "lolno."

Remember , :CCP:
"Nope, can't do it, those is load bearin codes, touch those and you risk the market collapsing"