These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Alpha Skill Extraction? Reskilling?

Author
Svarty Svartyson
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2016-11-19 20:00:49 UTC
Alphas are going to run out of skill points.

With no access to Skill Extraction, they are going to find it very frustrating later on. This wasn't a problem when people could keep skilling forever, but with alphas they need to have a plan. Do you expect total noobs to have a plan? Me neither. Mistakes will be made.

This is my case for some kind of Alpha Reskilling.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#2 - 2016-11-19 20:14:17 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2016-11-19 20:32:50 UTC
There's a predetermined list of skills alphas can train.
You can train all of them as high as they allow you and then that's it.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#4 - 2016-11-19 20:43:16 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
There's a predetermined list of skills alphas can train.
You can train all of them as high as they allow you and then that's it.

Exactly this.

Even if Alphas could use skill extractors, they would essentially be retraining all the same skills to the exact same levels as before.

There is no point for an Alpha to use a skill extractor and "retrain."
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#5 - 2016-11-19 21:10:33 UTC
Svarty Svartyson wrote:
Alphas are going to run out of skill points.

With no access to Skill Extraction, they are going to find it very frustrating later on. This wasn't a problem when people could keep skilling forever, but with alphas they need to have a plan. Do you expect total noobs to have a plan? Me neither. Mistakes will be made.

This is my case for some kind of Alpha Reskilling.


When alphas start feeling frustrated due to the skill wall, that's the incentive to subscribe. The whole alpha ftp process was implemented because eve was too big a game to get a hang of in 2 weeks or even 30 days. Alpha also removes the pressure of trying to be sucky at a bunch of things for two weeks. Now newbies can take their time and try out different things and enjoy themselves.

At the same time, the skillset is good enough for an alpha to be a valuable member of a corp. So while many corps will have skill caps, there will remain many that will welcome active alpha accounts.

In the end CCP needs to make money. Every FtP game is about creating revenue, not removing those incentives.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2016-11-19 21:51:53 UTC
Last that I checked WoW was ftp up to level 20. Huge portions of the game are locked out to you at that level.

The point of alpha clones is not to convert the entire game to ftp. It just a way for people to take their time trying out the game and allowing them to relax and enjoy the new player experience. This is still a subscription based game and at the point which you feel like alpha clone status is holding you back that is the point where you should probably consider subbing.

Probably another intended goal is to get players who have been away for a while a chance to check back in with old friends and stimulate interest in resubbing.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

gfldex
#7 - 2016-11-20 02:54:30 UTC  |  Edited by: gfldex
ShahFluffers wrote:
There is no point for an Alpha to use a skill extractor and "retrain."


I beg to differ. All you need is to drop in one PLEX to extract skills worth a few years. If you drop in a PLEX once a year you pay less then 20% of the $ you would have on a SP farming account.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#8 - 2016-11-20 03:35:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
gfldex wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:
There is no point for an Alpha to use a skill extractor and "retrain."


I beg to differ. All you need is to drop in one PLEX to extract skills worth a few years. If you drop in a PLEX once a year you pay less then 20% of the $ you would have on a SP farming account.


There are some problems with your math.

Sp is gained at roughly 2m per month or 1m per month for an alpha. One skill extractor/injector is only good for max 500k sp. There is no way one plex can extract skills worth a few years.

In roughly 5-6 months, all alphas starting today that do not subscribe but stay active will cap their skills.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#9 - 2016-11-20 10:56:55 UTC
paying the subscription instantly solves the issue.

Just Add Water

Svarty Svartyson
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2016-11-20 16:07:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Svarty Svartyson
Someone put me straight on how this works in-game. I thought there would be a limited number of skillpoints as well as the limits on what you can can choose to train into.

I got the wrong end of the stick.

Thanks for the replles anyway. :)
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#11 - 2016-11-20 18:16:19 UTC
Svarty Svartyson wrote:
Someone put me straight on how this works in-game. I thought there would be a limited number of skillpoints as well as the limits on what you can can choose to train into.

There is no "hard cap" on how many total skillpoints you can accumulate as an Alpha (ex: you can only have 3 million total skillpoints).

However, there is a "hard cap" on what skills an Alpha can train and how high an Alpha can train those skills. With everything trained up as high as they can go, it just so happens to be "around 5 million skillpoints."

Also bear in mind that Alphas train at half the speed of Omegas (see: paying players).