These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Race change for characters created before f2p

Author
Devaider
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2016-11-18 17:17:17 UTC
Hi, when i joined eve for the first time i choose Amarr as my race but i trained only for Caldari (stealth bomber/tengu/missiles,shield tank), now as a alpha player all my skills are useless.
I there a one time race change option, or sp/isk refund for all useless skills/ships i have?
Keno Skir
#2 - 2016-11-18 17:20:16 UTC
Nope :D Best get training.
Eli Apol
Definitely a nullsec alt
#3 - 2016-11-18 17:25:21 UTC
Can alpha clones use skill extractors and injectors?

but what would I know, I'm just a salvager

Maekchu
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2016-11-18 17:27:01 UTC
You can't extract Alpha skills.

But I think you can use the injectors.
Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#5 - 2016-11-18 17:48:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Neuntausend
You can only extract any SP beyond 5M, which is likely why they limited the skillset to <5M. Injectors should work just fine, although I haven't tried that.

I have an account that is in the same situation, and really - it's probably best to just start a new character. You will start out with almost 400k, and get another 80k during the tutorial. When the account is being created with an invitation from an Omega, you get another 250k, at least if I interpret the text correctly. That makes 730k SP for a new character, all in a usable skillset. With that, you should already be fairly well off, potentially even better than with what you have now, and you can pick a new race if you want to.

Finding someone willing to invite you to the game shouldn't be difficult either.

for reference: https://secure.eveonline.com/recruit/
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#6 - 2016-11-18 18:59:48 UTC
Not possible, sorry.

Sic semper proditores Blink





Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2016-11-18 20:35:27 UTC
I doubt they'll do that. I wouldn't be opposed to it because I initially chose Caldari in 2009 but flew gallente stuff mostly.
I tried to log in shortly a few days ago and i had to redo my character creation on him so I logged out to do it another time.
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2016-11-18 20:37:39 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
You can only extract any SP beyond 5M, which is likely why they limited the skillset to <5M. Injectors should work just fine, although I haven't tried that.

I have an account that is in the same situation, and really - it's probably best to just start a new character. You will start out with almost 400k, and get another 80k during the tutorial. When the account is being created with an invitation from an Omega, you get another 250k, at least if I interpret the text correctly. That makes 730k SP for a new character, all in a usable skillset. With that, you should already be fairly well off, potentially even better than with what you have now, and you can pick a new race if you want to.

Finding someone willing to invite you to the game shouldn't be difficult either.

for reference: https://secure.eveonline.com/recruit/

That's something I never understood.

Couldn't you just ban extractors from alphas outright and then any skill point cap would have been unnecessary.
7.5m or 10 or 2.5m as an arbitrary number opposed to 5m. It wouldn't matter because extraction wouldn't be possible anyway.
Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#9 - 2016-11-18 20:58:35 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
Couldn't you just ban extractors from alphas outright and then any skill point cap would have been unnecessary.
7.5m or 10 or 2.5m as an arbitrary number opposed to 5m. It wouldn't matter because extraction wouldn't be possible anyway.

It's still :ccp:, and thinking things through is not exactly their strongest suit.
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#10 - 2016-11-18 21:13:42 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
Neuntausend wrote:
You can only extract any SP beyond 5M, which is likely why they limited the skillset to <5M. Injectors should work just fine, although I haven't tried that.

I have an account that is in the same situation, and really - it's probably best to just start a new character. You will start out with almost 400k, and get another 80k during the tutorial. When the account is being created with an invitation from an Omega, you get another 250k, at least if I interpret the text correctly. That makes 730k SP for a new character, all in a usable skillset. With that, you should already be fairly well off, potentially even better than with what you have now, and you can pick a new race if you want to.

Finding someone willing to invite you to the game shouldn't be difficult either.

for reference: https://secure.eveonline.com/recruit/

That's something I never understood.

Couldn't you just ban extractors from alphas outright and then any skill point cap would have been unnecessary.
7.5m or 10 or 2.5m as an arbitrary number opposed to 5m. It wouldn't matter because extraction wouldn't be possible anyway.


I doubt the skill cap is there only because of extractors. There still needs to be incentives to upgrade, and if the only benefit were double skill training speed, that wouldn't be enough for many. Currently, the alpha skill set is a viable skillset, good enough for people to contribute, but low enough to create incentives to upgrade. If they weren't doing a 5m skill cap because of extractors, they probably would have done a level 3 skill cap on all skills or something to that effect.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#11 - 2016-11-18 21:51:35 UTC
Skills you can't use can be extracted and then injected as unallocated SP. If you have less than 50 million SP, you lose 20% - extract 500K, inject 400K. You must have at least 5.5 million SP left to use an extractor. Extractors are fairly expensive but a returning player probably has assets that can be used to buy them.

The goal with Alpha State was to create a viable experience without diminishing the value of a subscription. It may take a bit of iteration to get the balance right but it looks good so far.
Solonius Rex
F0RCED ENTRY
Negligent. Discharge.
#12 - 2016-11-18 22:54:32 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
Neuntausend wrote:
You can only extract any SP beyond 5M, which is likely why they limited the skillset to <5M. Injectors should work just fine, although I haven't tried that.

I have an account that is in the same situation, and really - it's probably best to just start a new character. You will start out with almost 400k, and get another 80k during the tutorial. When the account is being created with an invitation from an Omega, you get another 250k, at least if I interpret the text correctly. That makes 730k SP for a new character, all in a usable skillset. With that, you should already be fairly well off, potentially even better than with what you have now, and you can pick a new race if you want to.

Finding someone willing to invite you to the game shouldn't be difficult either.

for reference: https://secure.eveonline.com/recruit/

That's something I never understood.

Couldn't you just ban extractors from alphas outright and then any skill point cap would have been unnecessary.
7.5m or 10 or 2.5m as an arbitrary number opposed to 5m. It wouldn't matter because extraction wouldn't be possible anyway.


Sure. And then Id make 100 alpha accounts, queue them up with long training skiills, come back a year later, sub one, extract all the skillpoints, then use that isk to buy plex to sub the rest and keep extracting and making a huge amount of isk.

Id only make a hundred, but im sure someone out there would be willing to make a thousand. Remember the Ponzi scheme lasted for 8 months and they ran away with a trillion isk. Eve players are fine with waiting for the long haul, the long con.

Kinda game breaking, dont you think.
Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#13 - 2016-11-18 23:07:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Neuntausend
Very good point. They'd have to tack on weird rules like "can't use skill extractors unless subbed for x consecutive months" or exclude the whole alpha skillset from the skills that can be extracted to counteracct this, which would only complicate things. I still think if there's anything I don't like about the Alpha skill sets it is that they cannot crosstrain. Minmatar will be stuck with 3 measly drones and no support, Amarr will be stuck with no missiles. It keeps their fitting- and playstyle-choices very limited, and as they are, the different races are very unbalanced, with Gallente being brilliant for about everything, Amarr being good, Caldari being decent and Minmatar being f\\ked. Normally you'd say - if Ship X doesn't work for what you want to do, just train for Ship Y. Alphas can't do that.

But yes, that is a very good reason not to allow >5M SP
Matthias Ancaladron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2016-11-19 01:48:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Matthias Ancaladron
Solonius Rex wrote:
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
Neuntausend wrote:
You can only extract any SP beyond 5M, which is likely why they limited the skillset to <5M. Injectors should work just fine, although I haven't tried that.

I have an account that is in the same situation, and really - it's probably best to just start a new character. You will start out with almost 400k, and get another 80k during the tutorial. When the account is being created with an invitation from an Omega, you get another 250k, at least if I interpret the text correctly. That makes 730k SP for a new character, all in a usable skillset. With that, you should already be fairly well off, potentially even better than with what you have now, and you can pick a new race if you want to.

Finding someone willing to invite you to the game shouldn't be difficult either.

for reference: https://secure.eveonline.com/recruit/

That's something I never understood.

Couldn't you just ban extractors from alphas outright and then any skill point cap would have been unnecessary.
7.5m or 10 or 2.5m as an arbitrary number opposed to 5m. It wouldn't matter because extraction wouldn't be possible anyway.


Sure. And then Id make 100 alpha accounts, queue them up with long training skiills, come back a year later, sub one, extract all the skillpoints, then use that isk to buy plex to sub the rest and keep extracting and making a huge amount of isk.

Id only make a hundred, but im sure someone out there would be willing to make a thousand. Remember the Ponzi scheme lasted for 8 months and they ran away with a trillion isk. Eve players are fine with waiting for the long haul, the long con.

Kinda game breaking, dont you think.


Alpha skills are non extractable though are they not?
But TBH that seems more like a straw man argument full of fluff to try and post the worst case scenario that maybe 1 person would actually try out of a million people who would just go about their normal business.
And that's easily something they would catch from having multiple email accounts coming from the same modems unless this person is also spending the monthly costs of multiple isps to have different locations set up and doing all these seperate emails rather than linking bulk accounts to one dump email.
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#15 - 2016-11-19 02:55:36 UTC
OP, if you don't have the minimum skills for an alpha clone, you could petition and they might give you them as unallocated sp to train.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#16 - 2016-11-19 04:25:11 UTC
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
But TBH that seems more like a straw man argument full of fluff to try and post the worst case scenario that maybe 1 person would actually try out of a million people who would just go about their normal business.

Do not underestimate Eve Players. If something can be exploited, they will do exactly that.
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#17 - 2016-11-19 04:54:06 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
Matthias Ancaladron wrote:
But TBH that seems more like a straw man argument full of fluff to try and post the worst case scenario that maybe 1 person would actually try out of a million people who would just go about their normal business.

Do not underestimate Eve Players. If something can be exploited, they will do exactly that.


Quoted for truth.

It is what we do. Meta gaming in the extreme.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.