These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Damage per hit vs Rate of fire

Author
Ju Keng-Ho
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2016-08-05 14:27:13 UTC
I am a newb player and have several questions to ask. I've got a feeling that in the DPS equation for Turrets, rate of fire skills, modules, rigs et.c. contribute way more than their damage per shot equivalents. The damage per hit part has a strong RNG component and seems to be dependent on some factors that you can't fully control. While at the same time, you fully control the rate of fire of the weapons.

So the questions are:
* What are the scenarios when damage per hit is more important than the rate of fire?
* If you overheat weapons how does rate of fire vs damage per shot hold up?
* if you target paint or stacis somebody, does damage per shot value increase vs rate of fire? If yes, how much?
O'nira
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2016-08-05 15:22:36 UTC
a high damage per hit can alpha(1shot for high damage or kill) through reps, rate of fire doesn't really matter all that much its damage per second(dps) you want to be looking at as well really and with a high damage per second you can slowly break through reps.

damage per shot stays the same i believe with overheat while rate of fire gets a decrease(more shots per x time) so the dps is increased. but with a rate of fire you can also "alpha" stuff with high damage per hit if you overheat a cycle the 2nd shot will land a lot faster meaning you have a higher chance of breaking through the reps.

target paint and stasis webs affect the application or how much you hit the target for, rate of fire is not affected. you can click show info on the target paints and stasis webs so see how much they do and they are affected further by skills and ship bonuses.

damage per hit doesn't really matter unless you are doing pvp with a few people usually, if you can't 1 or 2 hit stuff then it generally doesn't matter all that much.

you want to be looking at damage per second, tracking, optimal and falloff and damage types(em/thermal/kinetic/explosive) most likely

RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#3 - 2016-08-06 16:06:38 UTC
Ju Keng-Ho wrote:
I am a newb player and have several questions to ask. I've got a feeling that in the DPS equation for Turrets, rate of fire skills, modules, rigs et.c. contribute way more than their damage per shot equivalents. The damage per hit part has a strong RNG component and seems to be dependent on some factors that you can't fully control. While at the same time, you fully control the rate of fire of the weapons.

So the questions are:
* What are the scenarios when damage per hit is more important than the rate of fire?
* If you overheat weapons how does rate of fire vs damage per shot hold up?
* if you target paint or stacis somebody, does damage per shot value increase vs rate of fire? If yes, how much?

Different tactics for different situations.
It would be hard to make a blanket statement that covers the question of 'which is more important'.

If your sniping from 100km away, the general idea is big damage or 'alpha' from the first shots.
If your up close and personal, rate of fire and range are important. Angular velocity control is a big deal for both pilots.

Rate of fire is a skillable thing. You can fit modules/rigs/implants, that also improve rate of fire.
Overheat improves rate of fire. Simple as that. It's not a thing that you would compare damage per shot to.

Damage per shot can also be skilled, rigged, and modded. But it can also be manipulated with pilot skills. Flying parallel with. or straight at a target can improve solid hits. Flying at optimal range is a primary goal. Too close, or too far = bad application.

Yes, Painters and webs help a lot, in the right conditions. Painters at longer ranges. Webs at close range, and to slow down the faster ships. Both modules will help with damage application/ better hits.

Rate of fire, by the way, is never a bad thing. Even if you're doing bad damage, you need to get that next shot off, asap.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#4 - 2016-08-08 20:40:54 UTC
I have two favourite ships. They have roughly the same DPS with the fits I use. [Which will make some people cringe.]

One is a short range & high RoF blaster fit assault frigate, the other a longer range & low RoF artillery fit battlecruiser. The battlecruiser is far more effective at quickly removing ships from the field than the assault frigate, but the assault frigate has far more survivability on average.

One-on-one I'd never use that battlecruiser, but it is ideal in a fleet of almost any size.

The issue isn't just damage vs. DPS. It also includes other factors like range, survivability, utility, speed & manoeuvrability, signature radius, tracking, etc.
awesomegamer 99199
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2016-09-30 06:23:15 UTC
Ju Keng-Ho wrote:

Rate of fire, by the way, is never a bad thing. Even if you're doing bad damage, you need to get that next shot off, asap.

If you're struggling with cap then the additional RoF isn't always a good thing...
Andrew Indy
Cleaning Crew
#6 - 2016-10-03 08:48:05 UTC
awesomegamer 99199 wrote:
Ju Keng-Ho wrote:

If you're struggling with cap then the additional RoF isn't always a good thing...

Only if you are trading RoF for Alpha. If its just a question of more or less RoF then its never a bad thing as you can just stop firing to let you cap regen (if you fair 10 % faster you can just not fire for 10% of the time worst case)