These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Limited engagement and the po-po

Author
Dirt Nooch
State of Nature
#1 - 2016-08-01 01:27:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Dirt Nooch
Hi all,

Can someone clear this up for me.

If someone attacks me in hi sec, and I retaliate, does concord call off their response?
Cara Forelli
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#2 - 2016-08-01 02:00:50 UTC
Nope. If they commit a criminal act, concord will always show up, regardless of what you do.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

John Volan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2016-08-01 02:42:52 UTC
Here's a short article on some of the details of the criminal timer.
Memphis Baas
#4 - 2016-08-01 02:45:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
The moment they shoot, they get the Criminal flag, and Concord is scheduled to come after the number of seconds it takes based on the security level of the solar system where you are.

When you shoot back, you are shooting a criminal, and you also have a limited engagement, so Concord will not attack you too.

The only downside to shooting back is that you'll get the Weapons Timer, which prevents you from docking, jumping through gates, ejecting from your ship, or entering a new ship, for 1 minute.

So if you think you can make it through a gate or dock at a nearby station, don't shoot; your attackers will have the weapons flag and won't be able to follow you for 1 minute. With gate camps, typically this decision is made while you still have the gate invisibility; you're supposed to take advantage of it and look around, figure out what ships they have, and whether you can make it back to the gate.
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#5 - 2016-08-01 15:18:38 UTC
BTW, is that how stations games work? Shoot, tank 1 minute, then dock, refit, etc? So basically, the 1 minute timer doesn't reset with every shot?

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Dark Lord Trump
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#6 - 2016-08-01 15:28:45 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:
BTW, is that how stations games work? Shoot, tank 1 minute, then dock, refit, etc? So basically, the 1 minute timer doesn't reset with every shot?

It resets with every shot.

I'm going to build a big wall that will keep the Gallente out, and they're going to pay for it!

Memphis Baas
#7 - 2016-08-01 16:07:08 UTC
You have to wait 1 minute after you stop shooting (it keeps resetting with each shot), but basically yeah, station games are when one or both parties undock and then stare angrily rather than shooting, so they can dock at the slightest sign of danger. Or try to bump each other outside of the "0m" insta-docking range.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Apocalypse Now.
#8 - 2016-08-01 17:24:09 UTC
Which is why if you are going to engage a station game player, make certain you can blast through their tank in a minute... otherwise, don't play.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#9 - 2016-08-01 17:30:34 UTC
Dark Lord Trump wrote:
Iria Ahrens wrote:
BTW, is that how stations games work? Shoot, tank 1 minute, then dock, refit, etc? So basically, the 1 minute timer doesn't reset with every shot?

It resets with every shot.

every offensive module cycle so
guns
drones
ewar
points and tackle
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#10 - 2016-08-01 19:44:19 UTC
Alright, cool. I watched a Battlepenguins video where a guy docked in the middle of a fight, and swapped to a different ship. Figure that happened before the timer was introduced...

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Shallanna Yassavi
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2016-08-01 20:04:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Shallanna Yassavi
Iria Ahrens wrote:
BTW, is that how stations games work? Shoot, tank 1 minute, then dock, refit, etc? So basically, the 1 minute timer doesn't reset with every shot?

Not quite.

They get a limited engagement (either by dueling or being blinky), you shoot, they re-ship into a hard counter for your ship. If you don't figure out what they're doing and leave (much preferably to a randomly placed bookmark, but a belt or a customs office at 100km works too) before they land a point, you're dead.

A signature :o

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#12 - 2016-08-01 20:15:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Alright, cool. I watched a Battlepenguins video where a guy docked in the middle of a fight, and swapped to a different ship. Figure that happened before the timer was introduced...

no no, weapons timer only applies to your offensive modules.
you can de-aggress (60sec timer) and dock/jump mid fight if you have the tank to last.
limited engagement is aggression rights and has no other effects beyond who can shoot whom

i have used this at least twice on pirat.
i started chewing on one of their guardians +5 jumps from amarr ,
didn't have the dps to kill it before every Russian between amarr and jita came pouring into system.
so i pulled my drones in, stopped shooting and i waited till they were all on me and had timers (which was a lot of angry russians)
before blowing razberrys in local jumping the **** out of there.
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#13 - 2016-08-01 22:14:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Alright, cool. I watched a Battlepenguins video where a guy docked in the middle of a fight, and swapped to a different ship. Figure that happened before the timer was introduced...

no no, weapons timer only applies to your offensive modules.
you can de-aggress (60sec timer) and dock/jump mid fight if you have the tank to last.
limited engagement is aggression rights and has no other effects beyond who can shoot whom

i have used this at least twice on pirat.
i started chewing on one of their guardians +5 jumps from amarr ,
didn't have the dps to kill it before every Russian between amarr and jita came pouring into system.
so i pulled my drones in, stopped shooting and i waited till they were all on me and had timers (which was a lot of angry russians)
before blowing razberrys in local jumping the **** out of there.


Well, I was thinking of this video http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/ABP/ABP6_Were_backv1.wmv which included my corp getting wrecked by like 5 ships at the beginning of the video. It was a wakeup call for the corp. And it made me a spider-tanking whore. I was absent, but it was my friends. IIRC, ProGod was in the fight, he might have even started FCing by this--it was one of his goals from the start, but the Corp was young and we made so many mistakes it hurt. But it shows how far some of us have come...

Anyway, it will take an hour to dl the video to rewatch, so I'm not sure whether he docked while shooting or not. But it was long enough ago that you can see several mechanics in play that no longer exist.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#14 - 2016-08-03 13:13:00 UTC
Ok, now that I know what to look for, re-watching the video, I do see that he turned his offensive modules off for a minute before docking.

Still learn stuff every day here.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Dirty Forum Alt
Forum Alts Anonymous
#15 - 2016-08-03 13:22:13 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Ok, now that I know what to look for, re-watching the video, I do see that he turned his offensive modules off for a minute before docking.

Still learn stuff every day here.

if you ever try it yourself - make sure you recall your drones in addition to shutting down all your offensive modules...

Always kind of funny when somebody tries to de-aggress but forgets their drones in space...but not for them.

The dead swans lay in the stagnant pool. They lay. They rotted. They turned Around occasionally. Bits of flesh dropped off them from Time to time. And sank into the pool's mire. They also smelt a great deal.

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings (Sussex)

Major Trant
Red Federation
RvB - RED Federation
#16 - 2016-08-04 11:11:31 UTC
Dirty Forum Alt wrote:
Always kind of funny when somebody tries to de-aggress but forgets their drones in space...but not for them.

It is even funnier (not) when you are the Logi and the fleet is told to deaggress. You sit there continuing to rep people and your aggression counting isn't ticking down.

For those who don't understand the mechanics. Remote repair including cap transfers are not aggressive acts, but you inherit the aggression flag on anyone you rep / cap transfer to. Thus when you rep someone who is shooting, you get a 1 minute agression counter, but when he stops shooting his aggression counter starts falling and so does yours even while you continue to rep him.

Now assume you have got a 20 man fleet with four Guardians all cap chaining off each other. You are losing the battle, so the FC calls to deagress and approach gate. You need to survive for 1 minute before everyone can jump out and the Logi need to keep repping people during that minute. Except one person stays aggressed and if he gets repped by just one of the Guardians the aggression counters passes to that Guardian and then to every other Guardian via the cap transfer chain. All the logi are shouting "WHO IS STILL AGGRESSED, PULL DRONES, PULL DRONES". One minutes passes and the fleet either have to jump out leaving the Logi behind or stay on field longer sacrificing further DPS ships in a desperate attempt to save the Logi.

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Apocalypse Now.
#17 - 2016-08-04 15:45:00 UTC
Major Trant wrote:
... All the logi are shouting "WHO IS STILL AGGRESSED, PULL DRONES, PULL DRONES". One minutes passes and the fleet either have to jump out leaving the Logi behind or stay on field longer sacrificing further DPS ships in a desperate attempt to save the Logi.


What, you mean Logi's aren't disposable? I thought all Fleet Commanders expected to sweep them into the trash bin after each fight... LolShocked