These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

High Sec bumping

First post
Author
Roland Yaken
Eclipse Industry Inc
#1 - 2016-04-14 08:15:35 UTC
There I am, in an ice belt in High Sec, mining, watching a show on my other monitor, having a good time. Suddenly, a huge fleet warps in. I think to myself "cool, now they're going to wreck this belt in like 20 mins, might as well get what I can." Then, some ******* starts ramming my ship. Why this guy feels the need to deny my crappy little Retriever the few dozen ice chunks it'll pull before they wipe the belt is beyond me, but w/e.

So, I'm getting shoved away from the asteroids at mach 5, 10-20x faster than my ship can even move; can't turn, can't get back to my drones, I'm completely at his mercy. That would be fine, if there were something I could do about it. As it stands, it was nothing more than unbelievably frustrating and at no risk to the bumper.

Now, I have a few questions about this. The first and foremost of this: why is this even a thing? I'd rather have his ramming me deal damage so that he can get blown up by CONCORD, over the pure unadulterated griefing that I suffered. Other forum posts have suggested that CCP's stance on this is that it's okay...but why? I get that this game is a sandbox where anything goes, but this is ridiculous. The physics of this mechanic are bad, the outcome is stupid, and for a game that has a huge amount of realism (at least potential realism in the future), this simply does not make sense to me...
Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#2 - 2016-04-14 08:27:32 UTC
Can you dodge bumpers by orbiting the asteroid? Or by not beeing (semi)-afk?

Roland Yaken wrote:
[...] The physics of this mechanic are bad, the outcome is stupid, and for a game that has a huge amount of realism (at least potential realism in the future), this simply does not make sense to me...


It´s the shield of the ships. They are pushing each other away (like identical poles on a magnet).
Roland Yaken
Eclipse Industry Inc
#3 - 2016-04-14 08:31:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Roland Yaken
Raging Bull Unchained wrote:
Can you dodge bumpers by orbiting the asteroid? Or by not beeing (semi)-afk?

Roland Yaken wrote:
[...] The physics of this mechanic are bad, the outcome is stupid, and for a game that has a huge amount of realism (at least potential realism in the future), this simply does not make sense to me...


It´s the shield of the ships. They are pushing each other away (like identical poles on a magnet).


Whereas I'm technically semi-afk, I glance over very frequently, and I saw the entire thing happen. "Hey, that guy's pretty close to me...wait, what...what the hell is going on...holly hell I'm moving fast" etc. This was my first experience with such, so I didn't know what was going on until after the fact, and after Googling it.

Saying it's the shields is pretty poor justification, IMO. As well, if you throw one magnet at another at 1.5km/s you'd better damn well believe that it's going to smash into the other magnet.

Quick edit, I'll try orbiting next time. Didn't know that would help.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#4 - 2016-04-14 08:57:38 UTC
just think about your idea and imagine what would happen if it's in Jita undock, huh?

fyi, griefing is part of the game so better get used to it now.




Just Add Water

Roland Yaken
Eclipse Industry Inc
#5 - 2016-04-14 09:00:34 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
just think about your idea and imagine what would happen if it's in Jita undock, huh?

fyi, griefing is part of the game so better get used to it now.






Yeah, that's a very good point. Jita would be absolute chaos. Maybe remove collision unless target locked, and then have it deal damage?

Sure, griefing is part of the game, but there should be consequences. Being able to just grief someone with no repercussions is the part that pisses me off, and I don't think that's unreasonable.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#6 - 2016-04-14 09:22:22 UTC
Roland Yaken wrote:
Nat Silverguard wrote:
just think about your idea and imagine what would happen if it's in Jita undock, huh?

fyi, griefing is part of the game so better get used to it now.






Yeah, that's a very good point. Jita would be absolute chaos. Maybe remove collision unless target locked, and then have it deal damage?

Sure, griefing is part of the game, but there should be consequences. Being able to just grief someone with no repercussions is the part that pisses me off, and I don't think that's unreasonable.


what do you mean without repercussions? you can grief them as well, no problem.

whatever people can do to you in-game, you can do it to them too.

Just Add Water

Roland Yaken
Eclipse Industry Inc
#7 - 2016-04-14 09:34:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Roland Yaken
Nat Silverguard wrote:
Roland Yaken wrote:
Nat Silverguard wrote:
just think about your idea and imagine what would happen if it's in Jita undock, huh?

fyi, griefing is part of the game so better get used to it now.






Yeah, that's a very good point. Jita would be absolute chaos. Maybe remove collision unless target locked, and then have it deal damage?

Sure, griefing is part of the game, but there should be consequences. Being able to just grief someone with no repercussions is the part that pisses me off, and I don't think that's unreasonable.


what do you mean without repercussions? you can grief them as well, no problem.

whatever people can do to you in-game, you can do it to them too.


Do you honestly believe this oral diarrhea that you're touting?

First of all, I can't do it back to him unless he is doing what I was doing...otherwise it would not have the same effect, as such it would not be griefing. Because of this, it's neither a repercussion unless he is mining and I bump him off his asteroids.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#8 - 2016-04-14 09:48:06 UTC
This is a rant by someone that is not a new player (this character has existed since 2014) and is abusing NCQ&A for attention purposes.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Roland Yaken
Eclipse Industry Inc
#9 - 2016-04-14 09:51:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Roland Yaken
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
This is a rant by someone that is not a new player (this character has existed since 2014) and is abusing NCQ&A for attention purposes.


So, simply because I created the account in 2014, that automatically makes me a veteran? Even if I've only got like 35-40 total days of playtime?

And by 35-40 days of playtime, I mean a month back in 2014, and like 1-2 weeks recently.
Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#10 - 2016-04-14 10:13:56 UTC
Well maybe a solution is to get out of that vile and dishonest highsec! Blink

Plenty of great ore in null and in wormholes, and you pay more attention than some of the miners I know! With comms and Intel channels, especially in null, you'll have plenty of warning. Just a thought

Welcome back to New Eden Smile

@lunettelulu7

Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#11 - 2016-04-14 10:16:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Nat Silverguard
Roland Yaken wrote:

Do you honestly believe this oral diarrhea that you're touting?

First of all, I can't do it back to him unless he is doing what I was doing...otherwise it would not have the same effect, as such it would not be griefing. Because of this, it's neither a repercussion unless he is mining and I bump him off his asteroids.


wtf, man. what did i do to deserve this reply?

you can't defend yourself quit mofo!

Just Add Water

Roland Yaken
Eclipse Industry Inc
#12 - 2016-04-14 10:23:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Roland Yaken
Lulu Lunette wrote:
Well maybe a solution is to get out of that vile and dishonest highsec! Blink

Plenty of great ore in null and in wormholes, and you pay more attention than some of the miners I know! With comms and Intel channels, especially in null, you'll have plenty of warning. Just a thought

Welcome back to New Eden Smile


Hmm. I'd like to know more. Care to indulge me?


Nat Silverguard wrote:
Roland Yaken wrote:

Do you honestly believe this oral diarrhea that you're touting?

First of all, I can't do it back to him unless he is doing what I was doing...otherwise it would not have the same effect, as such it would not be griefing. Because of this, it's neither a repercussion unless he is mining and I bump him off his asteroids.


wtf, man. what did i do to deserve this reply?

you can't defend yourself quit mofo!


You're right. You didn't deserve that insult. I'm just salty.
Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#13 - 2016-04-14 10:26:14 UTC
Roland Yaken wrote:
Lulu Lunette wrote:
Well maybe a solution is to get out of that vile and dishonest highsec! Blink

Plenty of great ore in null and in wormholes, and you pay more attention than some of the miners I know! With comms and Intel channels, especially in null, you'll have plenty of warning. Just a thought

Welcome back to New Eden Smile


Hmm. I'd like to know more. Care to indulge me?


I'll send you a mail. Recruitment is illegal in New Citizens Q&A

@lunettelulu7

Memphis Baas
#14 - 2016-04-14 11:57:11 UTC
To answer your question:

If ship collisions caused damage and Concord, then good luck undocking from any busy station such as Jita.

Also, it's easy to assign "blame" if your speed is 0 and the bumper's speed is non-0. However, if you're both moving, who's ramming whom?

Finally, if collision causes damage, good luck getting in an asteroid field, or too close to a station, wreck, etc.

The bumpers will just adapt: bump you with a cheap ship; the cheap ship gets Concorded but your ship now has non-zero speed. And if they bump you into another ship, suddenly you are "bumping" the second "innocent" ship that was just sitting there with 0 speed, you evil person you. So, Concord time for you, enjoy!

As you can see, your question is of the "ask a stupid question, get lots of stupid answers" variety, which is why you're being called a troll.

The bumping mechanic has been acceptable to CCP for 10+ years, it's somewhat unlikely to change. This is the game, accept it.
ISD Max Trix
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#15 - 2016-04-14 11:58:13 UTC
Quote:
3. Ranting is prohibited.

A rant is a post that is often filled with angry and counterproductive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and is helpful in development of the game and community. Rants are disruptive, and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise and clear manner while avoiding going off on rambling tangents.


Bumped.

ISD Max Trix

Lieutenant

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to EVE mails about forum moderation.