These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Vikaram Skjorn Hisec Unity

Author
Vikaram Skjorn
Honorable Mayhem
#1 - 2016-02-01 09:35:03 UTC
I am announcing my candidacy for CSM XI based on a hisec platform.

What makes me different from any other hisec candidate? I am not a carebear, I want to bring together and represent all forms of hisec content. I want to represent the carebear, the miner, the station trader, the newbro, the incursion runner, the relic runner, the ganker, the war target hunter. Some of these groups have little to no representation in CSM.

Alot of hisec players are independent and feel no sense of community to those who play differently then them. How many incursion runners out there have stopped playing for a week just because Marmites war decd them that week? How many miners run to a station every time a Code operative comes into local? How many station traders get mad because someone crashed a market they were in?

I see all of this as content, we all need each other. Without the miner, Code doesnt exist, without the station trader how are prices kept in check? If we do not have content or social interactions, the game dies.

I do not represent a block, I am not looking to change the way nullsec, lowsec, or wormholes function or operate. I am here simply because after years of playing I am still blown away that hisec has virtually no sense of community. What makes eve so great is the social aspects and the butterfly effect. Every time an incursion runner loses a vindi, some indy guy who builds them makes a sale, some kid who just bought his first t2 bpc gets to sell some t2 blasters, etc etc. As for the vindi pilot, well he learns to appreciate what he has, and now he has a reason to grind even more. Maybe he will get a scout alt, or maybe he will start an intel channel and get people involved in it and get everyone more organized so less vindis will be lost. Then the ganker in turn will need to become even more dedicated and more organized if he wishes to score that next sweet kill.

People are what make eve great, so lets play together. Any questions, concerns, suggestions, or anything please send me a mail.

+About me, I have done a bit of everything, I have been in nullsec blocs, I have been in FW, I've mined, I've ganked miners, I was a hisec mission runner for a while, I lost an incursion fit vindi to verge of collapse (Back when vindis were actually expensive), I started my own corp and know the pains of building something from nothing, and as of late I have been station trading while deciding on what I would like to do next.+
Black Pedro
Mine.
#2 - 2016-02-01 11:16:32 UTC
Vikaram Skjorn wrote:
I do not represent a block, I am not looking to change the way nullsec, lowsec, or wormholes function or operate. I am here simply because after years of playing I am still blown away that hisec has virtually no sense of community.
I am a little confused why you say there is no sense of community. Clearly there are sometimes even large communities of players that have appeared in highsec. I am referring to incursions communities, hauling and trade channels, ganking and anti-ganking groups, and so forth. Do you think there should be a single, unifying community where everyone who lives in highsec should identify with? If so, what form would you envision this to take and how would you go about bringing such a community into existence?

I will also take this opportunity to ask some more specific questions. What are you thoughts on the current state of incursions? Do you think the current reward is balanced for the amount of effort and risk that they require? And what are your thoughts on the new Drifter Incursions? Do you think they should replace the Sansha Incursions in highsec, or continue to live along side them?

Vikaram Skjorn
Honorable Mayhem
#3 - 2016-02-02 05:21:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Vikaram Skjorn
I mean community in a broader sense. There are some great incursion communities out there, I personally have flown with TVP and TDF and had a great experience with both groups. There are some great indy corps out there, good mining corps, some great chat channels.

What I am referring to is the fact that typically hisec dwellers tend to gravitate towards one thing, they may be full time incursion runners, or they may multi-box a bunch of skiffs in an ice belt, but they tend to spend most of there game time doing that one thing. There is nothing wrong with that nor am i looking to change that. What I am looking to do is bring people together in such a way that they really begin to understand how every single person has an impact in eve. I would like to see more honest dialogue between people of different play styles.

Here is an example, ill look at the solo miner, and the solo miner-ganker. Ganker kills the miner, miner sends hate mail, ganker posts the hate mail on miner-bumping.com, gankers laugh, and end of dialogue. Now what if we streamed a show where we took a few miners, a few gankers, through them on comms together for a while, and let them talk about eve. How interesting would it be to hear about the challenges that both sides face. How cool would it be if a few miners actually became friends with a few gankers? This is just a small sample of the type of interaction that I think would change how at least some players feel about hisec in a positive way.

As far as your incursion based questions, I personally feel that sansha incursions have an adequate payout and here are a few reasons why. Its risky to fly around hisec in a bowhead with 2 blingy faction battleships and a logi cruiser in there. You lose that bowhead, you are out 6bil easy all told, nothing to scoff at. Depending on what incursion community you run with, you will average somewhere in the 150 mil an hour mark while running the incursion, up or down depending on some factors. So to make back that 6bil, that will take you 40 hours of running incursions. That does not factor in travel time, waiting for fleet invites, times where no incursion is up, etc. For hisec this isk seems excessive, but it is the only way for a single account player to make real isk in hisec. L4 missions are ok isk, usually you upgrade from there to incursions to do better. Mining income in hisec is horrible if your a solo account, you basically need to multi-box to make any real isk hisec mining. Hisec explo is a crap shoot and has tons of competition. Hauling pays not that great in hisec, you have to be a nullsec jf pilot to make real money doing that. So by comparison, since incursions are the only real isk maker in hisec for a single account player, let them print isk doing that.

As far as drifter incursions, I do not feel that they should replace sansha incursions. It is up to the player base to decide what they want to run, so if the players decide to ditch sansha for drifters, thats on them, but if ccp eliminated sansha incursions and forced us to run drifters or simply not incursion, I would be upset with that. That said, I ran in a drifter incursion fleet once with ISN, we used suicide caracals then did a reship to bombers and it was a blast, I think I am going to run more of them personally. I highly recommend everyone try them at least once. I see no reason why both incursions cannot live side by side.

*before anyone says it, yes I know station trading is technically the best isk maker in the game, I left that out on purpose when I said incursions are the only real isk in hisec cause station trading really is its own thing*
Black Pedro
Mine.
#4 - 2016-02-02 07:22:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Black Pedro
Vikaram Skjorn wrote:
What I am referring to is the fact that typically hisec dwellers tend to gravitate towards one thing, they may be full time incursion runners, or they may multi-box a bunch of skiffs in an ice belt, but they tend to spend most of there game time doing that one thing. There is nothing wrong with that nor am i looking to change that. What I am looking to do is bring people together in such a way that they really begin to understand how every single person has an impact in eve. I would like to see more honest dialogue between people of different play styles.

Here is an example, ill look at the solo miner, and the solo miner-ganker. Ganker kills the miner, miner sends hate mail, ganker posts the hate mail on miner-bumping.com, gankers laugh, and end of dialogue. Now what if we streamed a show where we took a few miners, a few gankers, through them on comms together for a while, and let them talk about eve. How interesting would it be to hear about the challenges that both sides face. How cool would it be if a few miners actually became friends with a few gankers? This is just a small sample of the type of interaction that I think would change how at least some players feel about hisec in a positive way.
Yes, I think almost all of us can agree that more player interaction is good in this MMORPG about player interaction. I am asking if you have a specific ideas on how CCP could facilitate that. Would region-wide chat channels be a good thing? Player-built advertising structures? Cheaper wardecs?

How can you encourage players, especially from different groups or professions, to interact more in highsec?

Vikaram Skjorn wrote:
... So by comparison, since incursions are the only real isk maker in hisec for a single account player, let them print isk doing that.

As far as drifter incursions, I do not feel that they should replace sansha incursions. It is up to the player base to decide what they want to run, so if the players decide to ditch sansha for drifters, thats on them, but if ccp eliminated sansha incursions and forced us to run drifters or simply not incursion, I would be upset with that. That said, I ran in a drifter incursion fleet once with ISN, we used suicide caracals then did a reship to bombers and it was a blast, I think I am going to run more of them personally. I highly recommend everyone try them at least once. I see no reason why both incursions cannot live side by side.
From a game design perspective, how does it make sense to leave the Sansha Incursions in the game along side the new Drifter ones? If the Drifter ones are harder, ever-changing, not completely min-maxed and thus pay less than the current Sansha, why would anyone choose to run them as an ISK-making activity? If no one runs them (aside from the handful of groups looking specifically for a new challenge - most sit unrun until they expire), then why should CCP spend significant amounts of their development effort iterating on and expanding them? Don't you think it is a waste of time to ask CCP to develop new PvE content that is just going to be ignored by the majority of the PvE playerbase?

Personally, setting aside the overall economic issues with incursions runners capturing so much of the economy outlined by CCP Quant in his devblog, I think the stale Sansha incursions are well past their best-before date - the content is old, completely beaten and hasn't been updated in a long time. From a universe perspective, the Sansha have spent over 5-years attacking without much success and I would think them ready to give up and try a new approach. Anyways, those are my thoughts as a highsec player.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions - I have all the information I need. Best of luck on your CSM run.
Vikaram Skjorn
Honorable Mayhem
#5 - 2016-02-03 21:53:10 UTC
Region wide chat channels would be cool, I know years ago people were talking about how interesting those would be, but it never went anywhere. More methods for player adverts should be implemented. I have alot of ideas on wardecs to benefit both the war deccer and the carebear, and a change in cost structure is one of those ideas. Since I am on the topic of war decs; I will say that due to seeing so many new players quit the game over a war dec since a 16 day old account sitting in a retreiver has no idea how to deal with it, I would like to make it so accounts that are under a certain age, say 30 days or 45 or w/e will be exempt from the war dec. They can be in the corp that is war decd, but they wont be flashy red to the war deccers or anything like that unless the account has aggressed someone in hi or low sec thereby voiding the war dec immunity since at that point the account is being used to pvp.

As far as getting people in hisec from different professions interacting, I think chat streams are growing in popularity and alot more people are listening to them, so those can be utilized. Also I would like to organize more game wide player events, the last event I remember where the whole game was invited was burn amarr. I would like to structure various types of events open to the whole game but probably will be attended mostly by empire dwellers, and run them relatively often, get people out of there normal day activity and doing something with alot of people.

As far as incursions go, I agree sansha incursions are dry and need an update, so I think an update should come. Drifter incursions are such a different play style I honestly do not understand how they can replace the sansha incursions, it's kind of like saying why run DED sites in hisec when u can just run L4s and get that stable income. While both are combat oriented, there are very different pve content. Incursions are similiar, sansha sites are run in blingy faction fit ships that ourside of incursions most players will never fly. Drifter incursions are run mostly in suicide cruisers and catalysts and bombers and that kind of stufff. If both incursions were being run with fleets of vindis and scimitars I would say yeah we have redundant content, but as of the currents state we do not. Plus drifter incursions are still kind of new, it took people a while to get good at sansha incursions (anyone remember hour long TPPH's in drake fleets?) and people are still feeling out the drifters, in time we will have a better idea of where the relationship between the 2 incursions.

On a side note, I agree that story-line wise, sansha has failed for years now, so I think some interesting plot twists could happen if sansha incursions were updated properly and some things change, and we got a cool scope video or 2 of new sansha rats invading to drive the plot.
Aurum Exodus
Hell House
#6 - 2016-02-04 20:24:42 UTC
You have some interesting ideas concerning empire, I wish they did have more events that were game wide in high-sec, I might actually be tempted to leave null for a minute.

Good luck with your campaign.
Vikaram Skjorn
Honorable Mayhem
#7 - 2016-02-06 04:20:24 UTC
Lets make EVE as a while better.
Vikaram Skjorn
Honorable Mayhem
#8 - 2016-02-10 23:02:25 UTC
Bump.

Come on empire dwellers, lets make some change together.
Borat Guereen
ARRAKIS Ltd.
#9 - 2016-02-18 16:16:27 UTC
You are on my shortlist for votes but I have a few questions for you:

- Did you do any interview about your platform? If yes, where, and if not, why not?

- You say you want to represent all high sec. There is a fundamental difference of play styles and objectives between gankers and regular high sec denizens like new bros or those that simply do not wish to risk their assets and remain in high sec. Others are already running to represent clearly the gankers. Why are you qualified to represent all of high sec?

- CCP has given gankers a boon in February with increasing HP of wrecks, and in March will increase the hull HP of all ships by 33%, something gankers are now crying about. Where do you stand on those changes?

Candidate for CSM XII

Vikaram Skjorn
Honorable Mayhem
#10 - 2016-02-25 19:42:25 UTC
Borat Guereen wrote:
You are on my shortlist for votes but I have a few questions for you:

- Did you do any interview about your platform? If yes, where, and if not, why not?

- You say you want to represent all high sec. There is a fundamental difference of play styles and objectives between gankers and regular high sec denizens like new bros or those that simply do not wish to risk their assets and remain in high sec. Others are already running to represent clearly the gankers. Why are you qualified to represent all of high sec?

- CCP has given gankers a boon in February with increasing HP of wrecks, and in March will increase the hull HP of all ships by 33%, something gankers are now crying about. Where do you stand on those changes?

I did an interview for eve-nt, no one else really seems to be interested with speaking to me, I do not represent any of the well known alliances so I am having a hard time getting my word out other then right here.

For your second point, yeah I have been gazing at the other hi-sec candidates and essentially they are either in the ganker/war deccer group, or they are carebears that want ganking to be nerfed; 1 candidate this year want as far as to say that hi-sec ganking should not even be a thing. Essentially I am both of these things, I went thrasher ganking in jita a few days ago, and as I am typing this I am alt tabbing my freighter with some contracts I am running. I have been on both sides of a war dec and I can see where that needs to be worked on from both sides, where as most players have only been the defender. As far as gankers/gank targets Same thing, I damn near rage quit when I lost an incredibly expensive ship that I spent alot of time grinding the isk to get, and A day after I got the ship I lost it. I was broke, but I got my stuff together and went on with my life instead of being a baby about it, and I am much better for it. Since then I eventually became a ganker myself, and now I know so much about ganking that I know alot of tricks to keep my vargur from getting blown to hell as I cart that around to do l4s from time to time. Bottom line, I know the fears and joys of both sides of the coin.

Your third point is interesting, as of right now all I can honestly say is that while yes it is going to take more to drop a freighter, a white knight will not be able to just shoot the can like currently. So in the end while it will cost more to do a gank, the rewards will be better because gankers should be able to loot every wreck once the wreck HP buff goes into effect. So there is good and bad here, honestly for years I have felt that wrecks need more hp, so I am happy that is happening, as far as the 33% hull boost that is going to hurt gankers but it is going to help most of eve so I am going to have to say I like it, besides maybe new ganking strategies will come out of this, one thing eve has taught me is you never know.

TLDR:

-Somebody interview my please.
-Carebear/anti -carebear relationship needs work
-Freighters getting hp buff but you can always loot the wreck, a win for everyone including gankers