These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Rivver for CSM (Your best advocate)

Author
Rivver
Legions Ltd
#1 - 2016-01-28 02:32:15 UTC
Hello guys! I'm rivver and after many years of Eve Online, I felt that was finally time to apply for the CSM.

I am running on no platform. I know that sounds strange but I believe my role should be as your advocate rather than to push a agenda. Speaking as someone who has remained independent since inception, I don't have any dogs in the fight. I do want to see the CSM return to the spirit in which it was intended and that means showing CCP where the problems are and helping them get the player viewpoint.

You can be anyone and bring something to me. I'm not running to push a specific change, I'm there to report a problem and deliver possible solutions. We know that we can't just say that a ship is too strong or that Jita station is too small, we have to deliver something that can make things work. Everyone has a different viewpoint or desire but at the end of the day, we need to focus on what makes the game thrilling and brings us back for more.

My personal interests are hauling cargo that is difficult and dangerous and the in-game economy. I'm not much of a combat person but I love the thrill of slipping past camps with precious cargo and I only contract direct with the client. Special jobs for special needs, giving me a small role in a metagame as well as the chance to rub elbows with the movers and shakers of the eve universe. In other words, I am very neutral because my in-game profession depends on it.

These things said, I am there for you, regardless of who you are. I've played this game for over a decade and I would love to play it for a couple decades more.

Thank you for your time!
Rivver
Legions Ltd
#2 - 2016-01-29 13:16:23 UTC
Hi Guys!

I am still playing with the structure but I wanted to let you know that I will be asking for at least four "secretaries" from the player base to help field game mechanic issues. I might ask for more helpers later but the role of these people is grab the particular issues from their respective neighborhoods. This is means a high sec, low sec, wormhole and null sec person. This person can be affiliated with anyone and I am just looking for someone that can take an accurate non-biased view of their particular area.

Post in my thread if you are interested in helping out. I won't pick anyone out until after the election.

Thanks!

Rivver
Legions Ltd
#3 - 2016-02-01 13:03:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivver
I liked EVE-NT's questions so much, I thought I would go ahead and post my answers here. EVE-NT, I hope this is okay!!!

1. Please start by giving us a short introduction to who you are and your history within EVE Online. Include how long you have been playing and the groups you have been involved with.

I’ve played EVE Online since beta. I think I’m one of the last remaining “broken” characters that is in a CEO role. I’ve met a lot of folks from different groups but I am neutral since I love small groups. My space profession thrives on neutrality.

2. Who would you consider to be your key constituents? Who you would best represent within the playerbase?

Everyone. Neutrality means that I don’t have any agenda preference and I prefer the best solution for any problem.

3. Please summarise your platform. (Preferably using key bullet points)

The No-Platform platform is not a reform platform but a return to the intent of the CSM. The CSM was developed to keep CCP in check, not to push changes that only certain groups want.

4. Why have you decided to run for CSM this year?

It was time. It seems that every year there is a controversy with the CSM. Changes also don’t seem to happen as they should and it seems like the CSM is more of a token piece than what it was originally intended. If CCP is simply going to use a single player’s idea without consulting the CSM, why have it at all?

5. Have you run for or been a member of CSM in the past? If so please list each year and if you were elected.

Never have.

6. What makes you a unique representative when you compare yourself to other candidates?

I think my platform is rather unique. I’m an older player that has seen a little bit of everything. And because I am neutral does not mean that I don’t have strong opinions or that I am oblivious to the politics.

7. Do you have any out of game experience and skills that make you a good candidate?

I’m technical and I have project management experience. For the CSM role, I think the project management experience is critical.

8. What areas of EVE are you weakest at knowledge wise?

Every single area. If you think you know EVE, there is always something new to learn. Referencing question #7, part of my technical expertise is problem/incident simulation testing, i.e. recreation of a issue. Or as I call it, building a puzzle. If I run across something that I need to know in EVE, I usually test it on the test server.

9. If you were offered unlimited development time - what's the biggest change you would lobby for in EVE?

I’m not a developer and it is very hard to say. I think the changes need to be linked so it’s really a design thing rather than a developer thing. Best example would be the jump changes. In my mind, it made more sense to increase fuel costs rather than add incremental timers. Why? Increased fuel costs meant that miners would need to mine more, creating more targets for PVPer. All professions would receive a boost and the cost of the fuel would normalize as long as miners were able to provide product. That would ultimately leave power projection in the players hands because opposing forces could embargo fuel or send small teams to hunt miners.

I believe that all sectors of EVE are linked and it is bad design to change something in one single area. High sec players often lack excitement due to this and if high sec changes are made, nullsec players are often gripey. Make changes fit everyone because this is a single universe. The economy as it sits is a brilliant control if used properly.

10. If you could wind back the clock - what feature or change would you remove from EVE?

Warp to zero change and mines. I miss mines.

11. If you could pick one candidate to be elected with you who would they be and why?

I’m not sure on this. The large blocs usually send good folk but they see problems that smaller groups don’t. I’ve always been fond of Sugar Kyle.

12. What is your favorite memory in EVE and why?

A client contracted me to evacuate their assets from Delve. It required two freighters, two jump freighters, two orcas and about 10 characters. Staging for the job took at least two days and the owner of the assets was very antsy since his stuff had been trapped for a while. It started out as standard run until my jump freighters hit lowsec on the return and a small gang of battleships caught me on a undock. I thought for sure that I was going to die and lose the assets but I made it through. I had to wait them out for a while but my pulse was pounding like nothing else!

13. What platform(s) do you use currently to engage with the wider player base? If someone wanted to contact you what is the best way to do this? (Include Twitter/Emails/Skype/Slack etc.)

I’m still playing with this and it will probably be why my campaign fails. I’m not extremely social because it’s hard to be neutral when you spend a lot of time around other EVE players. Human psychology means classifying people into buckets and I just want to be nice and outside of someone’s bucket. I have opinions and these shouldn’t be drawn into the wider metagame but simply considered. EVE players are passionate and sometimes extreme in their views, I’m mindful of this fact.

14. If people wanted to find out more about your platform - where is the best place to do so? (Include blogs, forums posts and podcasts)

My CSM Campaign thread. Ask me anything within reason.
Rivver
Legions Ltd
#4 - 2016-02-01 13:03:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivver
15. In short - what is your closing statement (no more than 500 words please!)

I really want the chance to represent all of you. I’ve met some brilliant minds over the years but I think the spirit of the CSM has been corrupted and it needs to return to what it is: a council. I don’t have the answers, I don’t have any way to force CCP to do anything or even a way to reform the council. All I can do is change my approach, make it different than the other approaches and hope that it adds value.

I will need at least four players to help me. Each of the four will represent their respective areas of highsec, nullsec, lowsec and wormhole space. These players will farm bugs and issues. I plan to use Trello to track each issue and I plan to issue a report on what I will take to council. Each reported issue must have the problem described and a possible solution. If there is a change that affects multiple groups, each group can have a potential solution and the CSM can bring it up to CCP. I’m not tied to any problem or solution, I’m YOUR advocate. I hate campaign promises and they always go wrong but this is my single promise: if you bring me the issues, I will take them with me, no matter who you are or where you are from.

Thank you!