These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Hacking

Author
Brechan Skene
Hmmzor.
#1 - 2015-12-29 09:21:55 UTC
I have just returned after a four year layoff. I have noticed that hacking has a mini game. i currently would like to get some practice in 'how to play the mini-game'. However, I am not really good at it. Actually I suck at it. is there any intro sites in EvE that assist someone as clueless as I am?
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2015-12-29 13:55:39 UTC
There are some videos on youtube. I've not found one that I would call great but I've not looked in a while either. When I was trying to learn the hacking mini-game after I had returned from a break I had watch several videos and read up a bit all through links that I found googling the topic.

I found some tips here and there that were helpful but most players said that you kind of had to get the feel for it and I found that to be true. You can read up on it and find out what the various things are and what they mean so that you understand what is going on but after that you just have to do the trial and error thing.

Or at least that's how it was for me.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Memphis Baas
#3 - 2015-12-29 14:49:55 UTC
CCP's official training video. The numbers in the boxes tell you how far away (how many nodes) from the goal (or from a bonus upgrade).
Oraac Ensor
#4 - 2015-12-29 14:51:08 UTC
Google YouTube videos by Jonny Pew.
Vol Arm'OOO
Central Co-Prosperity Union
#5 - 2015-12-29 21:41:52 UTC
Brechan Skene wrote:
I have just returned after a four year layoff. I have noticed that hacking has a mini game. i currently would like to get some practice in 'how to play the mini-game'. However, I am not really good at it. Actually I suck at it. is there any intro sites in EvE that assist someone as clueless as I am?


As a general rule, you want to work to the opposite side of the grid from where you start. Other then that there is no real strategy as it is mostly luck. To improve your chances of success, just train the necessary character skills and take the appropriate ships, such as a cheetah fitted mods that increase your probability of success such as the t2 code breaker. In short, mini-game gives the appearance of being an actual game where player action controls the outcome - but it is all illusory. The outcome is actually decided by a combination of luck, character skills, ship type and mod fittings.

I don't play, I just fourm warrior.

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#6 - 2015-12-29 23:38:01 UTC
my only issue is the highsec version of the game seems very simplified from what you can see in null sec hacking sites. I tried learning to hack in highsec and ended up just bulldozing the sites and there wasn't any challenge or anything to learn. jumping out into nullsec I pretty much had to relearn everything on the fly in the first site I went to.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Netan MalDoran
Hyperion Mining Incorporated
#7 - 2015-12-30 06:17:51 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
CCP's official training video. The numbers in the boxes tell you how far away (how many nodes) from the goal (or from a bonus upgrade).


WAIT
THERES NUMBERS???
PIC PLEASE!!!
I've explo'ed for my ISK for a long time and never noticed this! O.O

"Your security status has been lowered." - Hell yeah it was!

Falcon's truth

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-12-30 08:00:45 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
my only issue is the highsec version of the game seems very simplified from what you can see in null sec hacking sites. I tried learning to hack in highsec and ended up just bulldozing the sites and there wasn't any challenge or anything to learn. jumping out into nullsec I pretty much had to relearn everything on the fly in the first site I went to.

Twisted

EvE uni has a nice tutorial (have a look at the tips & tricks section) ... http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Exploration

I'm my own NPC alt.

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#9 - 2015-12-30 09:43:44 UTC
Tipa Riot wrote:
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
my only issue is the highsec version of the game seems very simplified from what you can see in null sec hacking sites. I tried learning to hack in highsec and ended up just bulldozing the sites and there wasn't any challenge or anything to learn. jumping out into nullsec I pretty much had to relearn everything on the fly in the first site I went to.

Twisted

EvE uni has a nice tutorial (have a look at the tips & tricks section) ... http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Exploration

The Hacking 101 (link on the UNI wiki page in the hacking section) was very useful as reference when I started doing exploration.

Remove standings and insurance.

Erin Oswell
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#10 - 2015-12-30 10:49:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Erin Oswell
A lot of the tutorial content I've found is rather outdated now tbh though I have to agree Pew's vids are probably the most detailed in terms of all round content and they give you a good idea of what you'll need. That and he's easy to listen to compared to some of the others I found who either rush through important stuff or have voices that make me want to drag my nails down a blackboard just to drown them out.

Rules of Acquisition #13: "Anything worth doing is worth doing for money"

StonerPhReaK
Herb Men
#11 - 2015-12-30 14:03:17 UTC
Jonny's Hacking Guide

Signatures wer cooler when we couldn't remove them completely.

Memphis Baas
#12 - 2015-12-30 14:12:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Netan MalDoran wrote:

WAIT
THERES NUMBERS???
PIC PLEASE!!!


Click the Jonny's Guide link above and look carefully at about 20 seconds into the video. You will see a single number in each circle that he clicks, which fades as he moves the mouse away or clicks another circle. That number tells you how far away you are from a buff. You can kinda guess which direction to go, if you're at the edges of the node map.