These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

new player - Null NPC Mission Runner help?

First post
Author
Max Muni
Muni Corp
#1 - 2015-12-02 16:03:57 UTC
I just signed up a new toon for 6 months and want to run missions from an NPC Null station with a clone bay, so when I get exploded by locals I can just respawn until we become friendly and I can live there. (at least that's the plan) (I've already played the HS mission runner game last sub-go-round and don't want to repeat that experience)

With that said...

If this was your plan which corp would you work for and why?

Thanks in advance for your vet advice.

Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
Snuffed Out
#2 - 2015-12-02 16:25:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Lan Wang
Angel Cartel / Serpentis because Machariels and Vindicators, however many russians and chinese in those areas and people dont want to be friendly with people they can keep blowing up :)

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#3 - 2015-12-02 18:00:58 UTC
Probably Guristas or SoE, because it's not all that far from home, and I have a decent Guristas standing on one character thanks to the smash and grab Epic Arc.

But missions are too much effort.
ISD Decoy
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#4 - 2015-12-02 18:21:36 UTC
I am going to move this thread to the EVE New Citizens Q&A board so that you receive the responses you're looking for.

ISD Decoy

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
Already Replaced.
#5 - 2015-12-02 18:25:08 UTC
Pick the right place and the right ship(s) is the key to npc null mission running. Optimally you join an npc null group that lives in the area so you at least don't have to worry about them, but most npc null mission runners I know are solo.

Missions have some advantages: If people want to get at you they have to scan you down, and even the best prober is going to expose his probes to you before he catches you.

Also, the LP is very valuable and very resilient sure there is pressure on things like pirate shipsBPCs and the pirate ships themselves because of exploration and anomalies, but the pirate implants can be a VERY good wealth generator

The downsides are obvious: null, so anyone can shoot at you, and they will. Having to go through gates means using scouts (either real people, OR your own alt) or fitting your ship in a way that you don't need a scout. But fitting like that means you have to refit (like with a mobile depot) after you get through the gate. That's time consuming and time is money in mission. There's also logistics costs involved in moving the loot to high sec where people will buy it. And gathering the proper ships to maximize mission running can be a pain, or really expensive, most times both. Hell, I used to run npc null mission in a Tengu and just getting the right ammo was a pain.

And then there is the standings issue, running missions for pirate NPCs will eventually screw you in empire, meaning you have to have an alt for high sec if you want to do anything there.

All that being said, if your going to run npc null missions, I have yet to see a ship survive the ordeal better than a Tengu. Mind you, the Proteus is great too, Loki and Legion can do it too, but Tengu is king.

If you have specific questions, ask them (actually, the missions forum is a better place to do that btw).
Khanid Voltar
#6 - 2015-12-02 18:29:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanid Voltar
I would suggest that you choose the race to run missions for based upon the ships you can already fly. Sure there are a ton of good mission ships out there, but if you can't fly them, what is the point of suggesting them.

So if you are trained for Amarr ships, go for Sansha or Blood Raiders

if Caldari, go for Guristas

if Minmatar, go Angel

if Gallente, go serpentis?

I am sure there are others

Because basically the race you can fly will have primary resists for the pirate race for that faction & primary damage against that faction.

Hope that helps.
Max Muni
Muni Corp
#7 - 2015-12-02 18:40:08 UTC
Thanks for the responses, all...

Khanid Voltar wrote:

if Minmatar, go Angel

So, I should look to find the ARCHANGELS corp base with a Clone Bay?
What rats will I be shooting?

I will be flying a Thrasher now, then a Svipul... and will likely just stay there running level 3 missions when I play.
I want this character to be a purist Mini pilot, and it's all about the thrill more than the ISK. I've played the min/max game
already in HS and got bored. Being in Null or Low is exciting and starting from zero is fun, to see if MAX can survive the ordeal.

Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
Snuffed Out
#8 - 2015-12-02 19:58:46 UTC
Max Muni wrote:
Thanks for the responses, all...

Khanid Voltar wrote:

if Minmatar, go Angel

So, I should look to find the ARCHANGELS corp base with a Clone Bay?
What rats will I be shooting?

I will be flying a Thrasher now, then a Svipul... and will likely just stay there running level 3 missions when I play.
I want this character to be a purist Mini pilot, and it's all about the thrill more than the ISK. I've played the min/max game
already in HS and got bored. Being in Null or Low is exciting and starting from zero is fun, to see if MAX can survive the ordeal.

Curse - H-ADOC - Angel Cartel
Curse - OSY (next door to h-adoc) - Serpentis

Vindicators seem to be holding price pretty well compared to other pirate battleships so you will get decent isk for your lp, if you choose to sell the battleships, personally i done frigates and cruisers.

Its not that difficult running missions in curse, i use a tengu because its easier to gtfo if i need to

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Zero Crisis
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2015-12-02 21:24:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Zero Crisis
I recommend this:

1. Fly whatever pirate faction your home empire faction doesn't hate, factions that have 0.0 standing to your home empire e.g. Caldari would be the Angel Cartel or Serpentis Corporation. This way you are not gimping your home empire standing by running missions for a faction they hate ( have a negative standing) and this means you can return to your home empire to run standard missions when you get stuck/camped in (it will happen).

2. Pick a home pirate stations with lvl 1 security missions and a clone bay, try to avoid stations with a lot of people docked up. Thos people will inevitably try to kill you and will age quickly with the stress undocking causes.

3. Train infomorph psychology and set jump clones back in your home empire (see point 1).

4. Learn to love making book marks! Make undock warps with book marks, make safe spots and make navigation bookmarks (eg bookmarks based on old mission sites very high or very low in system that make you approaches to gates hard to predict). A fast ship is important for this because you will need to slow boat a few thousand km in some instances especially for station undock points.

5. Almost universally, for any faction doing level 1s use a missile ship (breacher, kestral or condor) that is very fast! (the range of missiles, all four damage flavours in missiles and uniform damage is ideal for newbros with small SP). For level 2s you can think about other ships. I like the kestral because it is also a decent pvp ship too (with rockets), even with minimal skills.

6. Understand that YOU WILL DIE to other players and even to the missions themselves. So take a way to be self sufficient out in deep space (such as a kestral BPO/multi run BPC).

7. Sometime the way out to your target system is the least direct way as seen on the map. Do not trust your autopilot, it will lead you right into the most camped systems, even in off times. Use the statistics tabs on the map control panel and plan your route carefully. Stabbing up your travelling ship won't hurt either.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2015-12-02 23:10:11 UTC
IMHO the specifics about the region that you will be living in are far more important than which race that you will be flying missions for.

I'd start looking at the map and identifying the NPC null mission regions. Then I'd do a little research on who is living where and which areas are more or less active during your main TZ and make my decision from there.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli