These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

All most interesting ideas for mining rewamp, in one place

Author
erg cz
ErgoDron
#1 - 2015-09-17 12:49:50 UTC  |  Edited by: erg cz
With current PLEX price development we will soon face increasing mineral prices due to tons of unsubscribed mining alts. It is time to let those, who stay, make mining more effective / rewarding through constant interaction. You still can AFK mine, but for less income. If you mine actively interacting with the game - you can get more in less time.

Apart from numerous simple (and stupid, IMHO) suggestions like buff yield of lazers, mining drones, ships or rorquals, I like those completely new approaches. They ensure more effective mining through pilot activity, not through plain "more m3 per hour cause I have bigger ship/laser"

Comet mining: fast movable mineable objects, that need to be scanned down, reqiure manually piloting to stay close and avoid toxic cloud

Mining probes and planet ring mining: probe down the proper place in planet ring, where you can mine, requires manually piloting to avoid collision with random moving piece of rock.

Multi Ore, Multi Methods: asteroids change during the process of mining it, requires manual adjusting of minig beam to ensure reasonable efficiency of mining laser, you can follow veins, etc

New Module -- Mining Laser Optimization Mid slot module, that would increase mining laser range
Boom Laison
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2015-09-17 16:16:18 UTC
And you call that 3 things "most interesting"?
Thron Legacy
White Zulu
Scorpion Federation
#3 - 2015-09-17 17:09:09 UTC
+1
erg cz
ErgoDron
#4 - 2015-09-18 13:10:47 UTC
Boom Laison wrote:
And you call that 3 things "most interesting"?


I welcome anyone to post here any better idea for mining.
Dror
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-09-18 14:15:29 UTC
erg cz wrote:
Boom Laison wrote:
And you call that 3 things "most interesting"?


I welcome anyone to post here any better idea for mining.

The best idea is freeing up that AFK activity for something else. Games like Evochron: Mercenary improve yield over the mining beam with a deployable mining probe (that jettisons the cargo in space once it's finished its one mining cycle). It requires being set up inside the asteroid, with misplaces failing, and this prevents that AFK style. What's more, jettisoning the can in space mitigates AFKing because that loot can be taken.

Why?
It frees up those ships for other purposes and playstyles. Maybe it's a subset of more a more active game, from PI through requiring these ships on fleets for something ("Rats are clearing out belts before they are capsuleer'd. Better take these mining ships, featuring modules that increase effectiveness vs. the rat mining fleets or that increase location finding or that increase loot storage."). Maybe deployables are key for more hit-and-run gameplay (sorta like an ESS, for example -- more content through setting up a tactical location that has to be dealt with). Maybe mining ships get the role of setting up stargates.

The problem with "manually piloting" a mining ship is that they're less than agile and such, so it's less than skillful.

Technically, mining should probably just be more profitable with more risk. It's a bit of an odd situation, because them being so subject to gate camps reduces the map flow that could come from more explorative philosophies. What's coming up as a simple idea is a deployable that reduces scan resolution, possibly just around a gate.

"SP is helpful for the game?" Here's all of the research on motivation -- it says the opposite! What purpose does it serve, then? Starter corps are non-competitive. Sov is unchallenged. "Fix sov!" you say? Remove SP.

Varyah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2015-09-18 14:56:07 UTC
You'd have to change most mining barges and exhumers too if you want manual flight, they are rather slow and borderline unmaneuverable.

But I don't think manual flight is appropriate for making mining a less boring afk activity.

How about putting seismic charges shooting guns on mining ships that break the asteroids apart; tractor the small chunks in. The small chunks loose cohesion quickly meaning they just vanish after a few seconds, reducing resources needed for the servers and keeping players active because they need to lock onto them and tractor them directly into the ore hold.
erg cz
ErgoDron
#7 - 2015-09-18 21:24:45 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Singularity Expedition Services
Singularity Syndicate
#8 - 2015-09-18 23:04:54 UTC
Varyah wrote:
You'd have to change most mining barges and exhumers too if you want manual flight, they are rather slow and borderline unmaneuverable.

But I don't think manual flight is appropriate for making mining a less boring afk activity.

How about putting seismic charges shooting guns on mining ships that break the asteroids apart; tractor the small chunks in. The small chunks loose cohesion quickly meaning they just vanish after a few seconds, reducing resources needed for the servers and keeping players active because they need to lock onto them and tractor them directly into the ore hold.


So loot spew for asteroids? No thanks.

I fully support the comet mining idea as usual though
erg cz
ErgoDron
#9 - 2015-09-22 08:51:19 UTC
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
Varyah wrote:
keeping players active because they need to lock onto them and tractor them directly into the ore hold.


So loot spew for asteroids? No thanks.



Well, that was a valid idea how to keep mining more interactive. But probably not everywhere. That mechanic can be used in planet ring mining, for example.
Dreadchain
Lavateinn
#10 - 2015-09-22 09:30:11 UTC
How about this: Remove belts from highsec

Sure to make things interesting for everyone, with the possible exception of nullsec botters.

www.minerbumping.com

Boom Laison
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2015-09-22 12:56:53 UTC
Dreadchain wrote:
How about this: Remove belts from highsec

Sure to make things interesting for everyone, with the possible exception of nullsec botters.


Why miner bumpers hate miners so much? I mean - c'mon, they create content for you... If you failed to kill the ship, that can not fight back, it is because you sucks, not because it is in high sec.
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#12 - 2015-09-22 13:04:06 UTC
erg cz wrote:
With current PLEX price development we will soon face increasing mineral prices due to tons of unsubscribed mining alts.


Do you have a source for this bizarre statement, or is this just another "CCP, nerf PLEx prices naow!!!" thread?

Before you answer, look up what a rhetorical question is.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#13 - 2015-09-22 13:05:11 UTC
Boom Laison wrote:
Dreadchain wrote:
How about this: Remove belts from highsec

Sure to make things interesting for everyone, with the possible exception of nullsec botters.


Why miner bumpers hate miners so much? I mean - c'mon, they create content for you... If you failed to kill the ship, that can not fight back, it is because you sucks, not because it is in high sec.


List for me please all of the mining ships in this game that cannot shoot back.

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

erg cz
ErgoDron
#14 - 2015-09-22 13:10:32 UTC
admiral root wrote:
erg cz wrote:
With current PLEX price development we will soon face increasing mineral prices due to tons of unsubscribed mining alts.


Do you have a source for this bizarre statement, or is this just another "CCP, nerf PLEx prices naow!!!" thread?

Before you answer, look up what a rhetorical question is.


Best looked at 14 days time interval...
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#15 - 2015-09-23 00:19:46 UTC
erg cz wrote:
Boom Laison wrote:
And you call that 3 things "most interesting"?


I welcome anyone to post here any better idea for mining.


Dont change it.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Laendra
Universalis Imperium
The Bastion
#16 - 2015-09-23 04:38:42 UTC
Burned out on mining, but I would agree with higher yields for a mini-game that doesn't take your entire screen that requires you to keep the beam(s) in the proper randomly changing location during the mining process....perhaps give you 50% more output than AFK mining per cycle....but I'd at least reduce AFK mining by 1/2 of the bonus....so if afk mining was 100%, it goes down to 75% and active mining goes up to 125%.

That, in itself, would make mining more interesting, and at least give incentive for players to actively participate in mining.
Shallanna Yassavi
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2015-09-23 07:50:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Shallanna Yassavi
Ring mining which requires manual piloting to avoid damage sounds like something which can be done with four current mining ships:
Procurer/Skiff (afterburner, power rigs to drive afterburner, maybe agility in case too slow)
Venture/Prospect (naturally agile, because frigates)

The procurer is already the go-to barge because it's catalyst-resistant (hisec) and resilient against bigger rats (null) if fit properly. The other two need to either become a lot faster and pick up a little more power grid/another mid slot to be even looked at in a planetary ring (AB/MWD/survey scanner). The ring would be a Venture's natural habitat, though: two mining turrets, probes, MWD/AB, and just plain fast.

Still, why should barges be able to do everything in hisec? Leave them the static belts with cheap ore. Playing dodgeball with a venture over more expensive ore should have its place-and there's no way someone doing that is ever going to get ganked.

A signature :o

Rawketsled
Generic Corp Name
#18 - 2015-09-23 09:43:13 UTC
Partial loot spew for mining.

Regular mining lasers chip chunks off. Strip miners chip chunks AND hoover like they currently do.

Make mining drones tiny little packmules that fetch and return chunks.


What have I done?


  1. Made the newguy in a Venture useful in a fleet because they can collect loose rocks.
  2. Made actively paying attention more profitable than AFKing until you can't hear the humming sound.
  3. Differentiated miners and strip miners.
Helios Panala
#19 - 2015-09-23 09:50:32 UTC
Dreadchain wrote:
How about this: Remove belts from highsec

Sure to make things interesting for everyone, with the possible exception of nullsec botters.


Greatly reducing the amount of belts in highsec would be interesting. Outright removing them is never going to happen though.
erg cz
ErgoDron
#20 - 2015-09-24 13:28:12 UTC
Helios Panala wrote:


Greatly reducing the amount of belts in highsec would be interesting. Outright removing them is never going to happen though.


How exactly this will make mining more interactive? Push miners into low sec? They will not go there.
123Next pageLast page