These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

random containers around low sec gates

Author
Syrilian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-06-18 20:59:49 UTC
More and more I am seeing random abandoned containers around low sec gates. For awhile I was confused why a random container would just be chilling out in low sec with no one else in system but I am thinking it is left over from a gate camp. My thinking was they would be containers out to force decloak.

Is this correct?
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#2 - 2015-06-18 21:01:14 UTC
Probably.
Paranoid Loyd
#3 - 2015-06-18 21:03:13 UTC
Most likely, especially if there are large amounts of them.

If it is just one or two, it could be stuff that was abandoned due to full cargo holds and loot drops that were better than what was in the cargo.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#4 - 2015-06-18 21:59:22 UTC
The term is "dirty gate" and you're exactly right.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2015-06-18 23:13:55 UTC
I've also seen snipers use them. I'm not exactly sure what they do with them but I think it has something to do with being aligned with something that can be both click on in the selected item window as well as warped to while remaining on grid.

They could also be used as bait. For example someone could hang out near one but away from the gate. This gives an attacker a warp to that is nearish to the player in question. Once you warp to the container to engage the player you are now out of jump range of the gate and his friends can now come help without too much worry of gate games. Or at least I've seen them used that way in null sec so I am assuming the same thing could happen in low.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#6 - 2015-06-21 10:01:05 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
I've also seen snipers use them. I'm not exactly sure what they do with them but I think it has something to do with being aligned with something that can be both click on in the selected item window as well as warped to while remaining on grid.

Containers are the easiest way to hold a grid open, compress it by tilting a fixed grid one way, etc. You don't need them for warp-in points, because you can align and warp to bookmarks and they show in space these days.

Nobody's doing anything fancy with the random ones by the gate in low, though, they're just trash people left around for the same reasons people litter in real life. Ran out of pocket space, just kind of a ****, finished eating half of a hauler then didn't want the rest of the meal, etc.