These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Restarting Eve - Lost with Tutorial

Author
Elo Mulo
Doomheim
#1 - 2015-06-18 14:16:16 UTC
Hello everyone, & thank you in advance for reading this.

I'm trying to be short : I played Eve around 6 months ago, not for to long, around 2 month, but I really liked the game, I did absolutely all the tutorial with the Gallente & the Minmatar, & was heading to the Sister of Mercy,

But, I had to move for work, and ended up without internet for 6 months.

So, as soon as I got acces to, I restarted Eve, with a new character, to make sure I didn't forgot everything.

But, I realize I was just absolutely lost, because the tutorial system had change, you don't start in a Capsule, with the IA telling you what to do, with Agents Missions & all.

So I'd just like to understand, do all I have to do is follow what the IA is telling me to do (the opportunities if I'm right), & it will be like the previous tutorial, or did I made something wrong ?

Thanks for reading.
Archibald Thistlewaite III
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Miners
#2 - 2015-06-18 14:19:51 UTC
Welcome back.

Press F12 and then the show carear agents button. Do all 5 agent's missions to get back into the swing of it. The opportunities is not very helpful to new players yet.

User of 'Bumblefck's Luscious & Luminous Mustachio Wax'

Juan Diolosa
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#3 - 2015-06-18 14:27:35 UTC
You didn't do anything wrong.

The old Aura-guided tutorial system was not conducive to the New Player Experience, as it literally held your hand the entire journey. The rewards for completing the tutorials were not an ideal approach for player retention, as it conditioned new bros to expect rewards for accomplishing things. At the end of the tutorials, new players were lost, because there were no clear cut rewards.

You can read all about the new CCP vision for the New Player Experience in a dev blog posted in February of this year.
Elo Mulo
Doomheim
#4 - 2015-06-18 14:35:03 UTC
Wow, thank you for these... really, like really, fast answers ^^.

I have to admit that I tough the old Aura (that was the name I was looking for by saying IA) was really directive ^^.

So everything I need to know about how to get a good start in the game is in this blog ? Well, in that case, thank you very much.
Memphis Baas
#5 - 2015-06-18 17:54:13 UTC
The blog won't contain everything, but it's easy to google "eve online guide" and get great tutorials. Or ask questions here, we don't mind.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#6 - 2015-06-18 20:17:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
The idea of opportunities is that YOU decide when and what you want to learn about.

You don't have to do any of them, or you can do all of them, and in any order. The choice is yours!

The most important thing I can tell you is to join a rookie-friendly corp ASAP (examples), and if you don't like that corp, join another one! EVE is player driven, and you will have much more success both finding content and generating content with the help of others.

Also, don't do stuff you don't find fun. Blink

Lastly, never be afraid to ask for help, and don't stop asking until you get an answer useful to you.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#7 - 2015-06-18 21:57:31 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Lastly, never be afraid to ask for help, and don't stop asking until you get an answer useful to you.
Just don't do it General Discussion, it be dark and full of trolls.

NCQA (here) is where you'll get decent answers to your questions.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2015-06-18 22:22:53 UTC
Eve is not a Theme Park MMO. It does not have a linear breadcrumb style questline thingy to get you from level 1 to level 100. You are supposed to find your own path through the game. The old tutorial system was just supposed to teach you the absolute basics of how to interact with the game. Basically just teach you the UIs not so much to teach you how to play the game.

I'm pretty sure that you can do opportunities without starting a new character. Even if you can't as I'm sure you've seen it's not like you are missing a bunch of groundbreaking secrets about the game or anything. IMHO you are probably better off going back to your old character if it has more skill points but if you like this one more then keep at it.

Anyway my main point is that you should not be looking for any type of in game mission system or other questline like hand holding. It does not exist by intended design. To me that is one of this games biggest selling points but for people used to all the WoW clones it can be scary at first.

If you want my advice on how to get back into this game then just try different things out. Play around with various aspects of the game. Read some guides and / or watch some videos and make friends that you can hang out with in game and ask questions of. Eventually you will find your playstyle.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Elo Mulo
Doomheim
#9 - 2015-06-19 12:03:53 UTC
Well, again, I'd like to thank you all for all these precise and fast answers, I didn't expect much even if my short time in Eve Showed me that the community had clearly no match in a matter of awesomeness.

I'm gonna try to reply to everybody without making a 3 foot long post.

First of all, I know about the fact that EvE is a non-linear, sandbox mmo, that's what I like. As I said, my question was really about knowing if there was a change with the tutorial or I was just a complete ******.

I'm still going to play with a new character, 2 month of skill training did not appear to be this much to me (especially since my training queue wasn't always full because of work). And beside, I had an ugly nose with the first character.

What I liked before, was mining (I had the feeling that it was really rewarding if you had some basic tactics to make profits) and "PvE" fighting, I didn't had the guts to face real player. So I don't know, maybe there's a Noob-friendly specialize in this or not ? Before, I was not in Eve-Uni, but I had their chat chanel open all the time & was chating with them.

So, with the Auro tutorial change, does the Career Agents disapeared or they're still there, with their easy missions for easy ISK ?

Again, thank you all again for all these answers, that's really cool.

PS : I apologize if sometimes I might sound weird, english isn't my mother tongue.
Juan Diolosa
Scary Wormhole People
#10 - 2015-06-19 12:22:11 UTC
Elo Mulo wrote:
I had an ugly nose with the first character.

I've biomassed several multi-million SP characters for less than that.

Elo Mulo wrote:
What I liked before, was mining (I had the feeling that it was really rewarding if you had some basic tactics to make profits) and "PvE" fighting, I didn't had the guts to face real player.

Please glance over this site, and prepare yourself appropriately for CODE enforcers. I'd suggest taking it seriously, if you wish to mine in Highsec.

Elo Mulo wrote:
So I don't know, maybe there's a Noob-friendly specialize in this or not ? Before, I was not in Eve-Uni, but I had their chat chanel open all the time & was chating with them.

There are many noob-friendly corps. You can look at some recruitment threads here.

Elo Mulo wrote:
So, with the Auro tutorial change, does the Career Agents disapeared or they're still there, with their easy missions for easy ISK ?
Still there, and you can do them. In fact, you can do them in all the Rookie Systems.

Elo Mulo wrote:
PS : I apologize if sometimes I might sound weird, english isn't my mother tongue.
Your English is fine. Where are you from?
Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#11 - 2015-06-19 15:04:57 UTC
Welcome back Big smile

@lunettelulu7

Elo Mulo
Doomheim
#12 - 2015-06-19 15:18:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Elo Mulo
Juan Diolosa wrote:
I've biomassed several multi-million SP characters for less than that.

Well, I'm not surprised, the character creation can make a character go from epic to stupid with 1 little change ^^.

Juan Diolosa wrote:
Please glance over this site, and prepare yourself appropriately for CODE enforcers. I'd suggest taking it seriously, if you wish to mine in Highsec.

So, from what I got, it's like, a gentleman rule of mining, that consist in not afk farming, neither farming to much, in HighSec systems ?

Juan Diolosa wrote:
There are many noob-friendly corps. You can look at some recruitment threads here.

Thank you for the link, I'm going to look at it right now.

Juan Diolosa wrote:
Still there, and you can do them. In fact, you can do them in all the Rookie Systems.

Ok, that's cool so. I find them to be a nice start with the ships and item they offer ^^.

Juan Diolosa wrote:
Your English is fine. Where are you from?

I'm french. That's why I'm so insecure about my english, we're not famous for having the best educational system when it comes to foreign language ^^.

As I said before, I also like the "PvE", like, the missions the career agents give you, about killing NPC pirates and all. But is it posible to do a living of it in the game ? I think I remember someone saying to me once it was like, looking around for missions, gather bounty, than go somewhere else. But I'm not 100% sure.
Juan Diolosa
Scary Wormhole People
#13 - 2015-06-19 17:00:34 UTC
Elo Mulo wrote:
I think I remember someone saying to me once it was like, looking around for missions, gather bounty, than go somewhere else. But I'm not 100% sure.

Yea, you can make a living doing nothing but Missions for NPCs (Mission Agents). It may get old fast to some people, but for others, they live for it and do it exclusively.

Regardless, look here:
https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Agent

Pay particular attention to Choosing the NPC corporation topic about 3/4 into the text.

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#14 - 2015-06-21 09:53:13 UTC
Juan Diolosa wrote:
The old Aura-guided tutorial system was not conducive to the New Player Experience, as it literally held your hand the entire journey. The rewards for completing the tutorials were not an ideal approach for player retention, as it conditioned new bros to expect rewards for accomplishing things. At the end of the tutorials, new players were lost, because there were no clear cut rewards.

This is the theory, yes.

In practice, the new system is just useless because it doesn't actually explain how half of the mechanics ******* work.

Stridently insisting that a bug (or poor documentation) is actually a feature doesn't actually make it so.
Elo Mulo
Doomheim
#15 - 2015-06-22 08:09:01 UTC
Well, I think I had all the answers I needed, at least for now.

So again, thank to everyone who answered this thread, & people who whished me a good comeback ^^.

With all the information I have, I think I'm going to be ok for now, & I'm more of a wiki reader, it was just that for this time, I couldn't find anything about the opportunities (especially because I didn't knew it was called like that ^^).

I'm gonna do some carreer agents missions, probably the Sister of Mercy to, all of that while looking for a noob-friendly corp'.

And after that, I'm probably going for some mining ^^. And you know, one day, we'll meet again, & I'm going to do to all of you a hell of a discount on my ore ^^.

Thank you all. And see you in game ^^.
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2015-06-22 08:30:25 UTC
Bienvenue a EVE! Ton anglais est impeccable Blink.

(Welcome to EVE! Your english is great).

If you're more comfortable speaking french, there's quite a few french speaking corps around, but don't be afraid of joining an english speaking corp with a more international member base. Since english is the modern lingua franca, you'll fit right in in most english speaking corps with any kind of EU presence.

Just know that both are options.

Here is a great thread with some basic advice on looking for a good corp. It's mostly common sense, but it's easy to get caught up in how odd EVE corps are compared to 'guilds' in other MMOs, so a lot of that is worth a reminder.

Grrr.