These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ewar drones and missile PVE

Author
Kiddoomer
The Red Sequence
#1 - 2015-05-15 12:04:24 UTC
Having done a lot of pve for a time, I'm thinking now about changing playstyle, doint brawling instead of long range/MJD .
I'm actually looking at using torpedoes on a barghest (for fun of course, not efficiency), and started looking at EW drones to help land the torpedoes on the rats.

There is two types of drones I could use, the target painters and the webifiers. First I notice the big malus in signature radius of these drones, so they will not be usable in some missions with elite frigates everywhere.

But still the webifiers are very interesting at first glance because of them being a "medium ranged stasis webifier", but 3-4 of a medium flight (not 5 because stacking-penalty) would really help ? And if not, is there anyone using the target painters kind ? they give a bonus equal to +8% signature radius for one medium drone.

Thanks for reading and yes, I know cruise missiles could work better, but I always preferred rockets and HAM for now, so torpedoes look like the way to go for me.

In the name of Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen : “Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.”

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2015-05-16 11:21:59 UTC
haven't ran any numbers but

I'm fairly certain that:
- whilst TP drones will give you some DPS increase to your missiles
- regular combat drones will increase your overall DPS more

the problem is with how missiles apply damage
the (explosion radius & explosion velocity) vs (sig radius & speed) enforce hard limits on effectiveness
the TP drones will only really have a useful effect on ships where (sig radius) comes into play as a limiting factor
which is ships that are smaller than the weapon size class

similar limits will affect the usefulness of web drones
yes a slower target will take more DPS from your missiles
but again the mechanics put hard limits on the damage increase gained
and again regular combat drones will probably give you a higher overall DPS increase

just my initial thoughts on your question
it's a nice theory
but I don't think it will work the way you want it to
Kiddoomer
The Red Sequence
#3 - 2015-05-16 11:41:19 UTC
ok thanks for the explanation, I noticed too while trying those that I can't even take them back when they take aggro because they nearly insta-pop anyway. I'll stick to combat drones.

In the name of Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen : “Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.”