These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Launcher Issue: Give us a workaround

Author
Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-05-03 18:30:50 UTC
So I am sure many of us have the issue of the launcher not validating the client when we first open it. This involves closing and restarting the launcher multiple times until it finally does do the validation and we can log in, or running the exe file directly, which has it own issues (no, NES for example).

I would like to propose that CCP offer a workaround until such time as the launcher issue can be identified and resolved.

Give us a button that forces the client validation. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would much rather click an extra button than open and close the launcher a dozen times until it decides to do its primary function.

CCP, give us this - make our lives a little easier.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2015-05-03 18:32:32 UTC
How HAVE a workaround. You even describe the damn thing. Just use the exefile. How often do you use the nex anyway?
Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-05-03 18:37:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Elenahina
Danika Princip wrote:
How HAVE a workaround. You even describe the damn thing. Just use the exefile. How often do you use the nex anyway?

Using the exe file helps you how exactly when the client files change but the launcher won't update them? That's one of the other issues with using the exefile.

And using the exefile isn't a proper workaround - it works because CCP hasn't made changes to make it not work - something they have repeatedly warned would eventually happen - at which point, welcome to playing open and close for 15 minutes trying to get into the game.

Iain Cariaba
#4 - 2015-05-03 18:47:12 UTC
Elenahina wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:

Using the exe file helps you how exactly when the client files change but the launcher won't update them? That's one of the other issues with using the exefile.

And using the exefile isn't a proper workaround - it works because CCP hasn't made changes to make it not work - something they have repeatedly warned would eventually happen - at which point, welcome to playing open and close for 15 minutes trying to get into the game.

When did they say they were going to make changes so the exefile won't work?

Once again, the exefile is the work around. Use the work around, or keep relaunching the launcher. Your choice.
Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-05-03 18:56:01 UTC
Again, I repeat - how does using the EXE file help you come patch day?

Give me a sensible answer and I'll drop it. (One that doesn't involve sacrificing a chicken to placate the angry volcano god).

The point being I'd like CCP to offer us a way to use their product the way they intended it to be used. Not to either skip my way passed it or play launcher roulette.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#6 - 2015-05-03 19:09:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Haven't had a validation error in a while, but what annoys me beyond measure is that I have to use SISI and TQ in one cache. This constant error message that I use files that are too awesome for TQ is irritation. And then the constant patching of Sisi and TQ because they both depatch each other upon launch... DOD is a fail.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Iain Cariaba
#7 - 2015-05-03 19:24:41 UTC
Elenahina wrote:
Again, I repeat - how does using the EXE file help you come patch day?

Give me a sensible answer and I'll drop it. (One that doesn't involve sacrificing a chicken to placate the angry volcano god).

The point being I'd like CCP to offer us a way to use their product the way they intended it to be used. Not to either skip my way passed it or play launcher roulette.

You use the launcher for what it really is, a patcher, then you go back to using the exefile. Also, if your patcher is still broken, maybe the problem is local on your system. I use the patcher as a launcher on my laptop and have zero issues. Launches every time.

Rivr Luzade wrote:
Haven't had a validation error in a while, but what annoys me beyond measure is that I have to use SISI and TQ in one cache. This constant error message that I use files that are too awesome for TQ is irritation. And then the constant patching of Sisi and TQ because they both depatch each other upon launch... DOD is a fail.

When I first disabled DoD on my desktop, I told my TQ and SiSi installs to use seperate caches. Have had no issues switching between the two.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#8 - 2015-05-03 19:57:27 UTC
Or you fix your computer?
Given how many people have no issues, this sounds very much like your computer is the issue. Possibly try a fresh install, and no, not the repair tool, a true fresh install with a defrag in the middle.
And don't listen to the people saying 'bypass the launcher'. Nearly every complaint at patch time has 'I normally bypass the launcher and now x happens'. When it's such a common theme, consider that bypassing the launcher may actually cause the issues in some way.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#9 - 2015-05-04 13:32:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Given how many people have no issues, this sounds very much like your computer is the issue..

There are exactly 7 of us that have posted here, wondering how you come up with this statement, what is your source?
Because people do not openly complain about it does not mean they are not having the same problems.
Leto Aramaus
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#10 - 2015-05-04 18:31:26 UTC
I've never had this issue or anything like it once.

Fix your own installations. CCP's launcher isn't broken. Your instance of it is.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#11 - 2015-05-04 18:39:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Leto Aramaus wrote:
I'CCP's launcher isn't broken. Your instance of it is.

Roll That is a blatant lie. CCP's launcher is very far from being a properly working piece of software. You have to close it to initiate an update, for instance, it doesn't even have Patch Notes for launcher updates. Since recently, when I enter my password with typos, I get a character selection question like in the forum/eve gate log in only to learn in the next step that my PW was wrong. And then I get back to the usual user/pw text box view, only that not my char I want to log in is selected in the user list but the char with the last successful log in. So, please do not call the launcher "not broken". Thank you.

It works well enough, which seems to be CCPs new standard of doing things: Make it barely work and it's fine.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Madd Adda
#12 - 2015-05-04 20:01:51 UTC
i have the verification error, and i'm not about to completely reinstall eve just to fix what CCP broke.

Carebear extraordinaire

Iain Cariaba
#13 - 2015-05-05 22:25:38 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Given how many people have no issues, this sounds very much like your computer is the issue..

There are exactly 7 of us that have posted here, wondering how you come up with this statement, what is your source?
Because people do not openly complain about it does not mean they are not having the same problems.

Because the players of this game are some of the whiniest people on the internet. If something in EvE breaks, there are a hundred threads made to say it's broken, and that it's a sign that eve is dieing. Once whatever was broken is fixed, there's an additional hundred threads made to complain that it wasn't fixed the way the poster wanted it fixed, and that EvE is dieing because of it. If this were still a widespread problem, there would be many, many more threads on the topic.

This problem you have was a real problem, at one time. CCP fixed the problem for the majority of its players. The fact that there are seven of you still bitching about this, as opposed to the many that were complaining before CCP fixed it, tells me that the real issue is a localized one.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#14 - 2015-05-06 14:38:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
Iain Cariaba wrote:
This problem you have was a real problem, at one time. CCP fixed the problem for the majority of its players. The fact that there are seven of you still bitching about this, as opposed to the many that were complaining before CCP fixed it, tells me that the real issue is a localized one.

The launcher problems myself and dozens of other EvE players I know are all to real. The launcher crashing the moment it opens requiring a reboot, the launcher freezing part way through the load or log in process requiring a force quit or a complete reboot,and the list goes on. No I am sad to inform you that the launchers does indeed have serious issues that need attention and the simple fact that you do not experience them does not mean they do not exist.
Brendan Collin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2015-05-17 07:55:22 UTC
I have the same difficultys with my launcher. I don't know what went wrong, but from time to time it works perfectly well and on other days it doesn't matter how often I start the launcher but it would not validate my client.
I hope they fix it as soon as possible. Annoys me
Corraidhin Farsaidh
Singularity Expedition Services
Singularity Syndicate
#16 - 2015-05-17 09:50:16 UTC
This is driving me nuts, I get .pyo errors and premissions faults and am waiting on a respone to my bug report. using the evefile.exe just leads to main game starting and then hanging.

Very annoying!
Samillian
Angry Mustellid
Lost Obsession
#17 - 2015-05-17 12:34:47 UTC
Brendan Collin wrote:
I have the same difficultys with my launcher. I don't know what went wrong, but from time to time it works perfectly well and on other days it doesn't matter how often I start the launcher but it would not validate my client.
I hope they fix it as soon as possible. Annoys me

As above for a while now.

While you can start from the .exe at present it has been stated in relation to the two factor security recently introduced that eventually that functionality will be removed as it makes that security upgrade a bit pointless.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#18 - 2015-05-17 15:07:20 UTC
I only use launcher to patch.

Exefile is OP, pls CCP buff launcher.

I mean, make launcher less bad.
Pls no exefile nerf.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Brendan Collin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#19 - 2015-05-21 20:01:06 UTC
Once more. My problem is not to login to game. I just want to get a functional launcher. If they don't wont us to use the launcher they should delete it and we can start eve as we did before the launcher.
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#20 - 2015-05-21 20:40:17 UTC
Ive had luck changing the langauge in the settings menu and then changing it back to english. This information could be found in forum titled "work arounds" :)
12Next page