These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

VAT included in price?

First post
Author
Mikrak Egdald
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2015-04-07 08:26:10 UTC
What does the vat included mean? Does it mean that the the 20% tax has already been added to the price of 14.95€ or do I have to be sure to have more than 15 € on my credit card? Do I have to pay like 14.95€ plus 3€(20%) vat?
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#2 - 2015-04-07 09:04:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
VAT is included in the price you see. There are no hidden extra charges unless you live in a country with localised sales taxes.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#3 - 2015-04-07 09:26:26 UTC
Value Added Tax is included in the quoted price for subscription if you live in the eu .

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#4 - 2015-04-07 11:47:31 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Value Added Tax is included in the quoted price for subscription if you live in the eu .

Always annoyed the **** out of me when I was in the US, and had to add tax to the price shown.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#5 - 2015-04-07 11:58:37 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Always annoyed the **** out of me when I was in the US, and had to add tax to the price shown.

Yup, irritated me immensely also.

Memphis Baas
#6 - 2015-04-07 12:43:44 UTC
Is ok, we get EVE Vegas.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#7 - 2015-04-07 13:42:42 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Cause math is hard?

Just tack on 20% to anything you buy in the states. Be pleasantly surprised when it is less than that.

Eventually you just get a feel for it.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2015-04-07 17:27:32 UTC
Mikrak Egdald wrote:
What does the vat included mean? Does it mean that the the 20% tax has already been added to the price of 14.95€ or do I have to be sure to have more than 15 € on my credit card? Do I have to pay like 14.95€ plus 3€(20%) vat?

Sorry...but really.

VAT included....that already says it....it is included.

*me waves at Cpt Obvious.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2015-04-07 17:28:37 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Same here.

Or at least read the small printed checkout price at the bottom

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#10 - 2015-04-07 20:15:42 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Cause math is hard?

Just tack on 20% to anything you buy in the states. Be pleasantly surprised when it is less than that.

20%?!?! good lord.

In california, where i live, the most you pay in tax atm for sales of goods is 9%

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#11 - 2015-04-07 20:38:20 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Cause math is hard?

Math isn't hard (Well, not this math. It's been a while since I had to do anything with matrices, for example)

I just prefer not to have to deal with it. The price you see, should be the price you pay.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2015-04-07 20:59:00 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

I am born and raised in the US, lived here my whole life and was brainwashed by it's school system and it still annoys me. IDK if it's like this anywhere else but I seem to just expect everything to have a catch and that nothing is ever what it seems. It's like living inside of a con job.

When I travel outside the US and pay only what the price tag says it is so refreshing. I am almost joyed to be spending money.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Phig Neutron
Rubicon Cubism
#13 - 2015-04-07 22:01:13 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

The reason European countries have a VAT is so that the tax is invisible and you don't know how much you're being squeezed by your rulers. As somebody commented above, even the most hard-left liberal state in the USA, California, is only charging about 10%, while your masters in the EU are taking 20% out of you. (Sort of. VAT as I understand it is charged at several parts of the supply chain, so you're actually being bled for a lot more than the stated amount.)

TLDR: the fact that the tax annoys you is a feature, not a bug. It makes a citizen aware of the cost of what he's voting for. It should reduce the tendency to vote for free stuff without regard to the pain it inflicts on others. Now, if only we could do away with the automatic deduction of income taxes.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2015-04-07 22:15:28 UTC
Phig Neutron wrote:

The reason European countries have a VAT is so that the tax is invisible and you don't know how much you're being squeezed by your rulers. As somebody commented above, even the most hard-left liberal state in the USA, California, is only charging about 10%, while your masters in the EU are taking 20% out of you. (Sort of. VAT as I understand it is charged at several parts of the supply chain, so you're actually being bled for a lot more than the stated amount.)

This is a good point that I had not thought of.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#15 - 2015-04-07 22:37:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Phig Neutron wrote:
It's worse than you think, I don't know about elsewhere in Europe but here in the UK, at a consumer level, there is one group of items, fossil fuels, on which a substantial duty is levied before the VAT is added; total taxes including the VAT are somewhere in the region of 60%.

Taxes on taxes....

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Phig Neutron
Rubicon Cubism
#16 - 2015-04-08 16:06:28 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Phig Neutron wrote:
It's worse than you think, I don't know about elsewhere in Europe but here in the UK, at a consumer level, there is one group of items, fossil fuels, on which a substantial duty is levied before the VAT is added; total taxes including the VAT are somewhere in the region of 60%.

Taxes on taxes....

In the US, we have something like this with income taxes. Your paycheck shows you "gross pay" before tax was taken out, then several types of income tax, with the result being the "net pay" you take home. What is not disclosed at all is that your employer has to pay a similar amount to what you pay, called payroll taxes, which is not listed at all.
So the government shows you one number as a way of intentionally deceiving you about the real number, which is about twice as much.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#17 - 2015-04-08 17:00:13 UTC
Phig Neutron wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:

TLDR: the fact that the tax annoys you is a feature, not a bug. It makes a citizen aware of the cost of what he's voting for. It should reduce the tendency to vote for free stuff without regard to the pain it inflicts on others. Now, if only we could do away with the automatic deduction of income taxes.

It's a little more complicated than that. Not all goods have VAT on them, for example. Food, in general, doesn't. luxury foods can. (which leads to Jaffa cakes wanting to be classified as cakes. As chocolate biscuits are vatted. But cakes aren't. biscuits without chocolate aren't. Yay, tax systems).

In addition, during the supply chain, companies have to charge each other VAT. But it can, in general, be reclaimed.

(And if you're getting into Tax, you can't direct compare anyway. While our tax burden may be, across the board, higher, we don't have to pay for healthcare. Yay for healthcare which costs substantially less (American healthcare prices are insanely high) and has, generally, better satisfaction than american healthcare Blink )

There's nothing stopping shops from, for a courtesy to their customers, displaying the pre and post tax prices. Other than 'but then we can't easily play the 19.99 game. blergh! evil government stealing your money.'

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises