These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Inventory Management?

Author
Sol Arisa Ke'aide
Star Onions Brigade
#1 - 2015-04-02 07:15:44 UTC
Hi,

sorry for the potentially stupid n00b question, but there are some details which are really bugging me and it's probably my own incompetence, because I can't imagine that those things are like this by design and unsolved in a game which is already this old... so I ask :-)

1) I have tons of stuff in my Item Hangar at my home base and it really begins bugging me. For example,

- all those blueprints,
- quest items (I guess they are, because it seems like they are not used in industry etc., like "Frozen Plant Seeds", "Freedom of Operation License", or "Datacore - Basic Civilian Tech", "Imperial Navy Captain Insignia (various levels)", and many more. the Wiki doesn't really help here and I have no idea what to do with those things),
- Ores and materials,
- Event stuff,
- different types of ammo,
- items I made from blueprints but cannot sell yet,
- and so on.

How can I get them out of the way? Only by trashing them or putting them into a ship cargo hold? I would prefer something logical, by sorting them away into drawers/folders or similar. I Want to clean up my inventory.

2) Recently I got LOT of event stuff, like "Cooking with Veldspar", and I don't know what to do with it. Is its only purpose to clog up the inventory (point 1) or my selling orders? When I received it, I was expecting that I could at least place it in the Captain's quarters or something similar, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So, what can I actually do with things like this, what are they good for?

3) I have several different kind of drones, which are fully repaired and everything, but they don't stack anymore and mess up the inventories even more. This is annoying, especially in drone bays. What can I do to make them stack again?

Thanks for some enlightement ,

Sol
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#2 - 2015-04-02 07:35:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
1: Use cargo and station containers, purchasable from the market.

2: Those are vanity items, they have no utility in the game beyond being semi collectable and a little bit of fun referring to various characters, ingame jokes/memes and past events.

3. Once an item has been used it can't be stacked without repackaging it, with special reference to drones why would you want them to be stacked in your drone bay?

Edit, as posted below the filters in the inventory are incredibly useful once you get them set up.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Archibald Thistlewaite III
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Miners
#3 - 2015-04-02 07:36:46 UTC
I use 2 methods for inventory management. The first is station containers, which can be bought from the market. These will appear like folders in the inventory tree and can be renamed to help you remember what you put in there.

The second method is the filters you can apply to the inventory window. Found at the bottom left of the inventory window. I use these to only show stuff I'm looking for. If I'm fitting a ship I use filters to only show hislot modules, midslot modules etc. to make finding stuff quicker.

User of 'Bumblefck's Luscious & Luminous Mustachio Wax'

Sol Arisa Ke'aide
Star Onions Brigade
#4 - 2015-04-02 09:08:19 UTC
Thanks for the answers, I will give the containers and filters a try! I was totally unaware that both exist.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#5 - 2015-04-02 10:29:20 UTC
The three views (icon, list, and detailed or something like that) in the upper right of the inventory window are also your friend.

Default view is still icons, I think, which are great for when you've only got 30 or 40 different things.

With either of the list views, you can click on the bar at the top of a column to alphebatize according to that column, meaning you can click on the slot to group all mid/low/high slot stuff into respective groups. This is especially useful for ships, which you've probably renamed to random things, so you can just order by type and go to your stealth bombers or whatever instead of trying to remember what you used as a name on your last bombing run.

Also, when re-ordering, the order will retain whatever the previous order you input was for identical entries. So order by name, then order by type for ships, and all of your frigates will be in alphabetical order by name, all your cruisers will be alphabetical by name, etc. With really big lists this can be layered to good effect.

(The downside of station containers is that you can't repackage things inside a container to stack them, meaning you might have to take your stuff out, repackage, stack, put back in container, stack again. They are really useful for things that don't have a repackage, though, like sticking all your missiles in one place, and for "junk drawers" of stuff that you don't really use but don't wanna throw out, like the dogtags are for most people doing mission running but avoiding anti-empire missions.)
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#6 - 2015-04-02 13:42:57 UTC
Also... FYI... once you use a drone (like, in space) it will no longer be repackaged... the same applies for ships.
Paranoid Loyd
#7 - 2015-04-02 16:13:27 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
Also... FYI... once you use a drone (like, in space) it will no longer be repackaged... the same applies for ships.

Fortunately they also added a filter specifically for this.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#8 - 2015-04-02 17:41:08 UTC
HIGHLY suggest using freight containers than the ones labeled as station cans because the station cans are actually audit log cans underneath and cant be repacked for 3 weeks.

It's a pain in the ass if you ever wanna move. At least freight containers can fight in a freighter ready to go.

The Drake is a Lie

Memphis Baas
#9 - 2015-04-02 18:33:39 UTC
I use small, medium, and giant (standard or secure) containers, as they will fit in the typical industrial transport ship.