These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Positioning of bubbles

Author
The Sun's Anvil
Jednota Inc
#1 - 2015-03-30 10:58:54 UTC  |  Edited by: The Sun's Anvil
I understand what bubbles are, how they work. Jumped to a gate to find myself in the middle of them enough times.

More recently though, I've been yanked out of warp to find myself in one, which in and of itself is not unexpected...except that I'm in a bubble 100km beyond the gate I was warping to. First time it happened I was sort of like "whatever" but then the next day the same thing happened. I took a good look around and yes, I was in a bubble beyond the gate. In other words, taking the position of objects in the solar system at face value, I should have encountered the gate first...but its as if I fly past it and land in the bubble beyond.

Is there something here about grids and such I dont quite grasp?
Mr Mac
Dark Goliath
#2 - 2015-03-30 11:31:46 UTC
Bubble will draw ships who warp from A to B in same line where bubble is. No matter beyond or infront of B point in that gird
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#3 - 2015-03-30 11:40:07 UTC
This is called a drag bubble
Bloemkoolsaus
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2015-03-30 11:57:02 UTC
If the bubble is inline with your trajectory, and on the same grid as the thing you are warping to, you will be drawn to the bubble. It doesn't matter if the bubble is before or after the object you warped to. Be in line and on grid.

You can avoid them by warping to a celestial that is not in line with any gate first, then warp to your out gate.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-03-30 19:01:54 UTC
And you just learned 0.0 navigation rule 1: ALWAYS use tacs when warping, never gate to gate

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#6 - 2015-03-30 20:45:53 UTC
This video was made for you :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOpLRs9tB5E#t=1840

The Drake is a Lie

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#7 - 2015-03-31 09:39:57 UTC
If it's a place you're going to be spending a lot of time in, picking a random direction from the gate, flying a few hundred km out, setting a bookmark, and warping to that instead of the gate will generally let you avoid the bubbles and camps in general without wasting too much time when there's not one.
Cherri Minoa
IronPig
Sev3rance
#8 - 2015-03-31 10:00:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Cherri Minoa
This article http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Interdiction_101 covers most of what you need to know. If you are going to make tactical bookmarks in an area that you use frequently, get into an interceptor. It is fast (for burning off gate to make the BM) and it is immune to the effect of the bubbles (interdiction nullified).

"If I had been censured every time I have run my ship, or fleets under my command, into great danger, I should have long ago been out of the Service" - Horatio Nelson

The Sun's Anvil
Jednota Inc
#9 - 2015-04-01 13:09:47 UTC
Thanks everyone. Good stuff all around.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#10 - 2015-04-01 17:59:50 UTC
Cherri Minoa wrote:
This article http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Interdiction_101 covers most of what you need to know. If you are going to make tactical bookmarks in an area that you use frequently, get into an interceptor. It is fast (for burning off gate to make the BM) and it is immune to the effect of the bubbles (interdiction nullified).

While this method works, I'm more a fan of CovOps for making on-grid bookmarks. If no one is there you can pop on an MWD and be in the same general speed category, and if people ARE there you can just pop the warp-cloak and ignore them while you set your BMs anyhow. And you're more likely to find utility in probing and warping cloaked than in light dogfighting if you're out solo poking around.

While we're at it, in areas you actually _live_, do some missions until you get assigned some nice out-of-plane missions in random deep space in most systems, if there are any corps around to give you any such missions (so... high sec, low sec, NPC-owned nullsec). Bookmark these and make them your safe-points instead of the usual tomfoolery with multiple bookmarks in space that the wiki recommends. In deep null where missions aren't a thing, scan a site down that's the deepest into space you can find instead. The advantage of safe-spots that take an extra thirty seconds to find and occur at a different angle to gates than any celestial cannot be overstated.

PvP with small groups or solo is often a matter of 'best bookmarks and best handling of bookmarks wins'. Hunting people down to catch them is often a matter of working out how they set up their bookmarks and getting there first.