These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Role Playing Trinkets for explorers and collectors.

Author
Omnathious Deninard
Ministry of Silly Walks.
The Gurlstas Associates
#1 - 2015-03-06 15:53:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Omnathious Deninard
I would be nice to see the introduction of small trinkets that would be found in Data and Relic sites.
Key features should be;

• Very low chance of finding one, some where in the .0001% area, make them rare and potentially valuable.
  • Small size (nothing more than .1m3)
  • Not available in the market or in contracts (provides some thrill in finding a collector who wants to buy one or an explorer to sell one.)
  • Would be nice they would contain a little bit of lore with the item, a short excerpt on who or what the item is and a collection number X of Y
  • They should be one of items, once destroyed they are gone. New items could be introduced every release in groups of 400~500 or only introduce new ones once the existing ones are mostly found from the sites.
  • For those who complain about cargo scanning data and relic sites ( I will throw you a bone here) they should not appear on a cargo scan list. Should they not get picked up from a site they would re-spawn in a different site somewhere else.
  • Should be spread throughout all areas of space and not restricted to one security status.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2015-03-06 16:35:06 UTC
I think that not allowing things to be sold on market is just plain silly.

And for the rest of it, I'm not too much a fan of super low RNG mechanics in any form, especially when it's just a useless trinket to be sold to a collector for gobs of cash.

If only .1% of the playerbase ever has any interaction with a mechanic, it's a poor mechanic to be spending any time on.

Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#3 - 2015-03-06 17:34:25 UTC
yeah for a trinket that does nothing its pointless for them to me only a few hundred of them at a 10thousandth of a drop.

Just because you cant sell it on the market doesn't keep people from selling them (example: Supers and some smaller items, we do have the forums to use as classified.)

not being cargo scannable, that defeats the "oh he found something rare" which if your worried about cargo scanning anyways, your probably not flying something tanked and have a pretty high chance of a ganker shooting anyways.

We already have things in heavy use that die are gone for good, those are called geckos.

If you fail to pick it up it should be gone and not respawn again

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Omnathious Deninard
Ministry of Silly Walks.
The Gurlstas Associates
#4 - 2015-03-07 15:23:46 UTC
Agondray wrote:

Just because you cant sell it on the market doesn't keep people from selling them

It was never intended for them not to be sold at all, just not to be placed on the market and forgotten about. A collector usually doesn't go down to the local market and look for a rare artifact.
Agondray wrote:
not being cargo scannable, that defeats the "oh he found something rare" which if your worried about cargo scanning anyways, your probably not flying something tanked and have a pretty high chance of a ganker shooting anyways.

The idea is they would be things a cargo scanner would be calibrated for, or not modern technology that the average capsuleer would look for.
Agondray wrote:
If you fail to pick it up it should be gone and not respawn again

If this were the case they would be gone before they were ever found.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

clare kurosaki
The Dark Vanguard
Triumvirate.
#5 - 2015-05-03 23:10:32 UTC
I like the idea, i love treasure hunting, and finding something that you know nobody else has gotta feel awesome. But unfortunatly, i think CCP have higher prioritys than this at the moment. Maybe eventually it could be implimented in some shape or form.
Marek Melkan
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2015-05-26 21:31:39 UTC
As a keeper of every silly trinket and CCP freebie I can get my hands on, I say cool idea.

Maybe a little too complex.
I don't like the "unique / gone forever" bit. (I understand it; people like the big easy isk)
I think they should have very little value. Since they are essentially useless, they shouldn't be worth much.

But random lore spawns in sites or maybe even rats might be fun.

somthing Lionheart
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#7 - 2015-08-13 03:38:33 UTC
How about giving the items invisible tiers that have a lower and lower chance to spawn, and the items could be turned in to null agents of the respective faction for isk.

Since capsuleers have no idea the value of the items to the pirates theres no absoulute set amount of isk that the pirates would offer to players for turning them in.

So maybe something like this

T1, 1% chance of spawning, potential reward of 3m - 10m

T2, .5% chance of spawning, potential reward of 5m - 15m

T3 .25% chance of spawning, potential reward of 10 - 35m

and so on and so on to maybe 10 Tiers

The reason for having thresholds would be so that it would add some uniqueness and interesting ways to handle it and so that it would be much more difficult for players to make a tier chart of all the items.

Example lets say I find a encrypted serpentis codex in a relic site so I take it to a serpentis agent in null and he offers me 7,396,731 ISK for it

I accept the offer and bam i get the isk, its hard to make a chart for this kind of thing when it overlaps, also there could be multiple items from each tier for each faction making it even harder

Their rarity means they would still be interesting for collectors, collectors would have to compete with the agents for isk prices, this would mainly have an effect in the higher tiers

Thoughts kinda scared, if i didnt cover something lemee know and ill answer

tl;dr make the items sellable to agents in null for isk
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#8 - 2015-08-13 04:28:58 UTC
Database bloat. That's my thought on this.
You are going to massively bloat the database by creating these, and create a constant Dev workload making new ones.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2015-08-14 10:50:34 UTC
Then I want a bubblehead inside my capsule, which shows up on my HUD...