These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

UI - Improvments: System Info Window update - Station tab

Author
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#1 - 2015-02-06 21:18:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
System Info Window update - Station tab

Imagine this: You are in a mission/You are in a PVP fleet and your ship gets severely damaged and you need a repair service in your system.
Right now -- at least in my case -- it is faster to open Dotlan in the IGB, search for the system and there in the Overview tab you see at a glance which station has the repair service. Or if you need Indu, which station has Factory or Reprocessing or Science services. It is easily visible, neatly sorted and not buried under ridiculous things. For example Amarr.
On the other hand, I sometimes find myself to click on the system name in the in-space hud and get present with this: Amarr in the collapsed view. If you open the System information window and go to the station tab, you see a list of stations that are expandable sections. You need to expand all the sections one after another to see which services are where, which ends up looking like this. This results in a lot of clicking, a very long list and a huge load of clutter. Again, look at Amarr ingame. Fortunately, Amarr has only 3 stations, but there are places like Penirgman, Kusomonmon, Villirier or Oursulaert with a lot of stations where this quickly turns into a mess.

For me, it is important to see this kind of information at a (relative) glance. I do not want to click or unnecessarily scroll around, collapse/expand things, I want to open a window or a tab and see right away what I am looking for. Only if this expectation is met, I would consider using ingame tools more regularly.

>> Therefore, I suggest to abolish the current expandable vertical sections display in favor of this: System Info Window - Station Tab new.
The service icons are displayed in a horizontal instead of a vertical order, and all icons are ordered in a grid that shows you in an easily recognizable way which services are where without much effort invested. The sections are collapsible, but the standard view is expanded to give comprehensive information right away when you open the window/tab the first time. With that implemented, I could easily simply click on the system name and instantly get the information I want without having to open Dotlan. This way, available ingame tools become a lot more useful, intuitive to use and can compete with third-party tools in order to make people use them instead of Dotlan, for instance, to provide the players with a better and more comprehensive UI experience.

With this out of the way, I think we should also see advanced information in tooltips on these icons. Right now, the only visual feedback these icons give is that they light up when you over over them. I would like to see tooltips there instead, which contain useful information. For instance
  • the Industry icon, there should be a tooltip showing you how many jobs were started recently, how high the cost index for Manufacturing/Research/Invention/etc is, among other things.
  • Or the Reprocessing icon should show the reprocessing rate with your skills/standings/implants applied in that station.
  • Or the LP store your current LP amount with that station's holding faction as well as standings.
  • There's probably also interesting things to show in a tooltip for the market icon, maybe your broker fees and sale's taxes after skills/standings, not like in the market window itself where there's some weird value for that, or there could be the number of sell/buy orders displayed, which would make it easier for everyone to find the market hub station in a given system by simply hovering over the market icon in this window's tab.
  • Or in case of freeport Null sec stations, the Repair icon should show you how high the repair cost per repaired hull/armor unit is (or whatever dark wizardry CCP employs there).

I am very aware of that this particular window is probably deeply entrenched into CCP's decade old spaghetti monster code that opens the portal to The Ring and revives Sauron yet again, but this should not keep devs from actually improving the UI for a better game.
I am also aware of that the text as displayed in my mock-up is not really optimal and can cause some trouble especially in the localized versions, in particular for some of the lovely Latin language families, so the captions/text could potentially be moved into the tooltips as well; after all, we don't need them in the station either. I added them to the mock-up just to show the feasibility.

TL:DR

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Murkar Omaristos
The Alabaster Albatross
Unreasonable Bastards
#2 - 2015-02-06 21:41:03 UTC
I find a lot of things in eve are cumbersome to achieve. Would totally support this, +1. Definitely in need of some better ergonomics \o/
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#3 - 2015-02-06 22:39:50 UTC
Only clicked the new image...
Left convinced +1
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#4 - 2015-02-07 09:38:43 UTC
Glad to read that. Smile Are there maybe more opinions on that or improvement suggestions or other suggestions on how to make more data and information visible in this window?

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#5 - 2015-02-07 10:37:59 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
First I thought TL;DR. Then I clicked the image. Then I liked the post

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#6 - 2015-02-10 20:43:46 UTC
+1 good idea

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*