These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Bowhead could also have jump drive

Author
Mikhem
Taxisk Unlimited
#1 - 2015-01-17 19:54:46 UTC
Before carrier jump range was nerfed it was used as long range shopping platform. Base jump range for carrier was 6,5 ly and with skills it could reach 13,something ly range. Carrier also have 1 million m3 maintenance bay.

I was comparing normal freighter, carrier and ORE freighter manufacturing cost to each other. I noticed that ORE freighter is basically just maintenance bay platform with fairly small cargohold and no ability to use firepower. Still its manufacturing cost is similar with carrier manufacturing cost.

I propose that bowhead could get also jump drive with very long range. This would make it The Ultimate Shopping Ship. It still wouldn't compete with T2 freighter since it has fairly small cargohold.

Reason for capital ship jump range nerf was prevent power projection. We also lost ability to use carrier as long range shopping platform.

Comments are welcome for my idea.

Mikhem

Link library to EVE music songs.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#2 - 2015-01-17 20:11:01 UTC
Mikhem wrote:
Before carrier jump range was nerfed it was used as long range shopping platform. Base jump range for carrier was 6,5 ly and with skills it could reach 13,something ly range. Carrier also have 1 million m3 maintenance bay.

I was comparing normal freighter, carrier and ORE freighter manufacturing cost to each other. I noticed that ORE freighter is basically just maintenance bay platform with fairly small cargohold and no ability to use firepower. Still its manufacturing cost is similar with carrier manufacturing cost.

I propose that bowhead could get also jump drive with very long range. This would make it The Ultimate Shopping Ship. It still wouldn't compete with T2 freighter since it has fairly small cargohold.

Reason for capital ship jump range nerf was prevent power projection. We also lost ability to use carrier as long range shopping platform.

Comments are welcome for my idea.


you do understand being able to move things and people long distances is power projection right?


if you could be troubled why not head over to the bowheads feed back thread for more information and maybe just maybe the jump changes thread
Zimmer Jones
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-01-17 20:12:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmer Jones
A future variant maybe, but I think CCP will not be putting more jump drives into the game. If you force people to take smaller steps there will be more interactions and therefore more content. All of the nerfing is pointing in that direction.
Smaller steps also means space feels larger, and space a bit busier.

Use the force without consent and the court wont acquit you even if you are a card carryin', robe wearin' Jedi.

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#4 - 2015-01-17 20:45:25 UTC
I don't have any stats in front of me; which one carries more assembled ships - a bowhead or a carrier?
Lugh Crow-Slave
#5 - 2015-01-17 20:46:39 UTC
the carrier i'm pretty sure
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#6 - 2015-01-17 20:58:07 UTC
Personally i'd much rather have a highslot for a cloak then a jumpdrive...

But then mine is never leaving highsec:) (what if that thing ever went pop it's expensive enough i'd write and submit the ALOD article detailing my own stupidity myself)
Ines Tegator
Serious Business Inc. Ltd. LLC. etc.
#7 - 2015-01-17 21:02:03 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:


There isn't much else to say other than that this ship is intended for a specific niche: high-sec transport of fitted/insured ships. It may find applications in other parts of space (especially because of the reduced jump fatigue), but we aren't really worried about hitting anything outside of the high-sec application.


https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5194837#post5194837
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2015-01-17 21:31:50 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
I don't have any stats in front of me; which one carries more assembled ships - a bowhead or a carrier?

Bowhead by a decent margin
Lugh Crow-Slave
#9 - 2015-01-17 21:36:09 UTC
Ines Tegator wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:


There isn't much else to say other than that this ship is intended for a specific niche: high-sec transport of fitted/insured ships. It may find applications in other parts of space (especially because of the reduced jump fatigue), but we aren't really worried about hitting anything outside of the high-sec application.


https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5194837#post5194837



see now why would you do that i was trying to teach him to be a big boy and search for himself
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#10 - 2015-01-18 01:30:54 UTC
Rowells wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
I don't have any stats in front of me; which one carries more assembled ships - a bowhead or a carrier?
Bowhead by a decent margin

In that case, a Bowhead would be pretty unbalanced if it had all that capacity and a jump drive. Let's also not forget that it's effectively a T1 freighter. Jump drives are a T2 freighter thing. Maybe in some distant future we'll see a jump-driving Bowhead with reduced capacity.
Sean Parisi
Blackrise Vanguard
#11 - 2015-01-18 02:25:19 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
Rowells wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
I don't have any stats in front of me; which one carries more assembled ships - a bowhead or a carrier?
Bowhead by a decent margin

In that case, a Bowhead would be pretty unbalanced if it had all that capacity and a jump drive. Let's also not forget that it's effectively a T1 freighter. Jump drives are a T2 freighter thing. Maybe in some distant future we'll see a jump-driving Bowhead with reduced capacity.


Basically this, however if they did make a variant for that. I would not complain if its jump distance was vastly less then other jump capable ships. Basically allowing it to do small jumps for moving ships between stations in decent safety without being able to instantly get to far off places.