These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE-Missions - Player-created missions with ISK rewards

Author
Marquis de Aurilen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-12-30 02:17:23 UTC
o/ Hello all! I am currently developing a site called EVE-Missions. What is EVE-Missions about, you ask?

EVE-Missions is a player-run "mission hub" that sends newbros completing informative, interesting, and challenging tasks all over New Eden. These missions would all be player-made and player-funded, with Official missions that are mainly for teaching newbros how to do stuff, and "Contract"-type missions that can be for anything. All they'd have to do is provide a screenshot of proof to receive the ISK.

The missions would be fun and compelling but not necessarily productive in the sense of generating ISK or products. Based on the payouts, they also wouldn't necessarily be time efficient, but they would be fun and lead new players towards actual content and away from grinding level 1 missions or mining in the starter system. With the help of the community I think we could come up with tons of creative wacky adventures to send newbros on that would require them to do some legwork on their own to learn things necessary for completing the task.

For example, some missions could be:

• Join a player corporation -> 1m
  • Lose your first ship -> 500k
  • Visit nullsec -> 500k

All of these things cold be confirmed by screenshots and killmails. The payouts would be low enough that veteran players wouldn't bother trying to take advantage with alts.

The WIP site right now is at https://test.eve-missions.com. What do you guys think of the site?
Grauth Thorner
Vicious Trading Company
#2 - 2014-12-30 12:46:32 UTC
I like the idea. There are a few concerns though:
- Are you sure screenshots are the best approach? Some way to automate mission completion would be nice, same with payment (afaik payment automation is possible with CREST)
- Is there some way you can verify a payment is actually made? (I'm sure not all players want to give you insight in their wallet)
- What if a player accepts multiple "go to null" missions and uses the same screenshot (or several screenshots of the same mission) for completing several of these missions (simultaneously or not)?
- How do you plan to advertise the service to new players?
- What's in it for the players that assign the missions, apart from generating fun/content for others?

As for the website:
- When hovering the buttons at the top, the buttons to the right wil move 1px to the left. (on IE)
- When opening the about window, the other content will slightly move to the left. It moves back when the window is closed.
- The screenshot is of the homepage is a rather bad quality and it seems it a screenshot prior to Rhea.
- I'm sure you can do better on the favicon P
- The screenshots on the other pages show a part of a duplicate on the right. (on IE)*
- The text in the searchbar isn't completely visible.*

* Here is a screenshot to show you the last two points: http://www.iciclesoft.com/Images/eve-missions.png

I'm sure you aren't completely finished with the website yet so you might be aware of some if not all of these points, but I wanted to point them out anyway. I'm curious how this project will unfold.

Fly safe o7

View real-time damage statistics in-game

>EVE Live DPS Graph application forum thread

>iciclesoft.com

Ydnari
Estrale Frontiers
#3 - 2014-12-30 16:34:39 UTC
Grauth Thorner wrote:
(afaik payment automation is possible with CREST)

No it isn't.

--

Marquis de Aurilen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-12-30 17:28:35 UTC
Grauth Thorner wrote:
I like the idea. There are a few concerns though:
- Are you sure screenshots are the best approach? Some way to automate mission completion would be nice, same with payment (afaik payment automation is possible with CREST)
- Is there some way you can verify a payment is actually made? (I'm sure not all players want to give you insight in their wallet)
- What if a player accepts multiple "go to null" missions and uses the same screenshot (or several screenshots of the same mission) for completing several of these missions (simultaneously or not)?
- How do you plan to advertise the service to new players?
- What's in it for the players that assign the missions, apart from generating fun/content for others?

- Screenshots are so far the simplest way to confirm missions. Other methods, like using canisters and channel loggers, are being considered.
- To verify payments I might have an automated escrow or have both parties confirm payments.
- The "go to null" mission and other beginner missions will be one-time-only and I'll also require for them to have a date/time open as to verify the time they did it.
- Reddit, Forums, having BNI and E-UNI advertise in exchange for having them on my site
- Some of the missions, for example, could be to assassinate another player, to spy on someone else, or maybe to be ammo in a battle. The non-Official missions which are not primarily focused for newbros can request anything and the payment will come out of the issuer's wallet!

Grauth Thorner wrote:

As for the website:
- When hovering the buttons at the top, the buttons to the right wil move 1px to the left. (on IE)
- When opening the about window, the other content will slightly move to the left. It moves back when the window is closed.
- The screenshot is of the homepage is a rather bad quality and it seems it a screenshot prior to Rhea.
- I'm sure you can do better on the favicon P
- The screenshots on the other pages show a part of a duplicate on the right. (on IE)*
- The text in the searchbar isn't completely visible.*

* Here is a screenshot to show you the last two points: http://www.iciclesoft.com/Images/eve-missions.png

I'm sure you aren't completely finished with the website yet so you might be aware of some if not all of these points, but I wanted to point them out anyway. I'm curious how this project will unfold.

Fly safe o7

I've only tested on Google Chrome so far, and the IGB uses Chrome, but I'll try to fix the IE bugs right away! Thanks so much for notifying me, or else I would never have caught them!