These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Moon mining

Author
Tuketh Sagus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-12-01 00:46:14 UTC
Hello, after I spent some time reading about moon harvesting, I tried out to build a harvester POS with a large caldari tower. But the problem is that I can only use 3 miners and 2 simple reactors, the advanced reactor uses too much cpu.How to fix this? Build another tower and have the advanced reactor there?
Richard Hellsing
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#2 - 2014-12-02 01:09:20 UTC
http://eve.1019.net/pos/index.php

Of my 30 or so towers that have a complex reactor its: 1 complex reactor per tower.

Caldari towers can support having 2 mining lasers into a reactor that then goes into a silo, and then another 2 silos for for the input and output with the complex reactor. This setup takes 7000 CPU, leaving 500 over for 1 more silo for another output from the complex, or defenses instead.

However the majority of my towers are gallente towers, using a setup of 3 Large towers for 1 chain.
1. Has two normal reactors on it with some moon mining for the reactors. If not lasers then its input Silos.
2. Has a complex reactor and silos only and takes half of the material of POS 1 to run it fully.
3. Has a complex reactor and silos only and takes half of the material of POS 1 to run it fully.

I use gallente towers because of the silo storage bonus, so I only visit them once a week.

You can use the Caldari setup, but for some reactions, even with the bonus output silo, you will have to go to them every 4-5 days.
Capsups
Elyrian Dream
#3 - 2014-12-02 08:48:20 UTC
Richard Hellsing wrote:

Of my 30 or so towers that have a complex reactor its: 1 complex reactor per tower.

Caldari towers can support having 2 mining lasers into a reactor that then goes into a silo, and then another 2 silos for for the input and output with the complex reactor. This setup takes 7000 CPU, leaving 500 over for 1 more silo for another output from the complex, or defenses instead.

However the majority of my towers are gallente towers, using a setup of 3 Large towers for 1 chain.
1. Has two normal reactors on it with some moon mining for the reactors. If not lasers then its input Silos.
2. Has a complex reactor and silos only and takes half of the material of POS 1 to run it fully.
3. Has a complex reactor and silos only and takes half of the material of POS 1 to run it fully.

I use gallente towers because of the silo storage bonus, so I only visit them once a week.

You can use the Caldari setup, but for some reactions, even with the bonus output silo, you will have to go to them every 4-5 days.

Sorry, going to ninja the thread here and ask you some questions since you seem pretty knowledgeable about the topic.

Does this mean that if you place 2 silos and route the output from the complex to the input of the first silo, then output from that silo to the input of the last silo, that the last silo will be filled before the first one from the reactor?

Does this also mean that I could potentially offline the last silo without worrying about the tick of the tower, such that the first silo from the reactor will be filled, even though the second silo is offline?

Does it work in reverse too, such that if I have an input silo to an input silo to an input of a reactor and fill up only the first silo, will the reactor automatically take stuff from the first silo even though the second is empty?
Richard Hellsing
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#4 - 2014-12-03 21:25:44 UTC
Capsups wrote:
Richard Hellsing wrote:

Sorry, going to ninja the thread here and ask you some questions since you seem pretty knowledgeable about the topic.

Does this mean that if you place 2 silos and route the output from the complex to the input of the first silo, then output from that silo to the input of the last silo, that the last silo will be filled before the first one from the reactor?

Does this also mean that I could potentially offline the last silo without worrying about the tick of the tower, such that the first silo from the reactor will be filled, even though the second silo is offline?

Does it work in reverse too, such that if I have an input silo to an input silo to an input of a reactor and fill up only the first silo, will the reactor automatically take stuff from the first silo even though the second is empty?

I think the answer is yes? Here are some drawings to make it easier to understand. Silos can only have 1 type of material in them. And can only have 1 input and 1 output.
http://i.imgur.com/zMfjAxN.jpg
Gallente tower cadmium moon output going into Caldari gas mining towers with a simple and complex reactor on each.
This produces crystalline carbonide from the caldari towers, as well as an extra 100 Carbon Polymers per caldari tower going to other towers for other reactions. This leaves the 500 CPU left over on the caldari towers for defenses, like warp scram batteries. You could add another silo past the output of the caldari towers to extend the output pickup to once every 2 weeks, put the input still requires once a week.

If the Silo is offline material can be destroyed if the tower ticks, so yes to your question, but when i empty Silos there are only offline for a few seconds, and i know when the tower ticks so I never loose anything,

If its a chain, the material will move into the second silo from the first over time. Once material is in the second silo, it will go into the reactor. Silos can only have 1 input and output chain.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#5 - 2014-12-03 23:56:28 UTC
Capsups wrote:

Yes, you can cascade silos for more storage.

Note that coupling arrays are basically just small silos.

Capsups wrote:

Yes.

It isn't rocket science to look at the calendar to see when your tower tick is,

Capsups wrote:

Yes, you can cascade silos for more storage.
Sambridg Nadeo
Oblong Snowflakerz
#6 - 2014-12-20 09:46:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Sambridg Nadeo
Hi all

So I have been setting up my moon mining chains and reacting chains, In my theory spreadsheet I came up with the following setup:
Gallente Control tower Small
Moon mining array Platinum 500 tf
Moon mining array Silicates 500 tf
Silo Platinum 500 tf
Coupling Array Silicates 155 tf

this leaves me with 33 tf (grand success)

I calculated that I only need to visit the tower once every 300 hrs due to the coupling array storing 3000 m3 of silicates which is 30000 units.

However when I set this up ingame the pos manager shows me I can only store a maximum of 3000 units of silicates which is 300m3 total.
Silicates has a volume of 0.1 m3

This is a similar setup

Gallente Control tower Small
Moon mining array chromium 500 tf
Moon mining array cobalt 500 tf
Silo Chromium 500 tf
Coupling Array Cobalt 155 tf

I calculated the coupling array will be able to store 75 hrs worth of cobalt which is 7500 units, total of 3000m3
Ingame, the tower confirmed that calculation as correct.
Cobalt has a volume of 0.4 m3 which is correct for the contents of the coupling array.

Can you tell me if there is some nerf to storing R4 items in silo's/coupling arrays?

Please request that I re explain if I have not made my explanation/questions clear.

Cheers,
Sambridg Nadeo
Sambridg Nadeo
Oblong Snowflakerz
#7 - 2014-12-20 10:18:01 UTC
As it turns out it was a refreshing bug of some kind, The max quantity of a material will only accuratly be shown when there has been some of the material in the array. in this case, I had to wait an hr for the moon mining array to pull 100 items and deposit them into the coupling array. Then the array reported to be able to hold 30000 units of r4 material

Good to know...