These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Placing bookmarks, cosmic sigs/anoms, and objectives in the overview

Author
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#1 - 2014-11-05 07:31:10 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Please place the following entities as entries in the overview:
- Personal Bookmarks
- Corporate Bookmarks
- Cosmic Sigs
- Cosmic Anoms
- Agent Objectives

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Aran Hotchkiss
Tactically Challenged
Tactical Supremacy
#2 - 2014-11-05 08:11:06 UTC
+1

All that I can add (and this would likely need to be done to make them appear in overview) is have them as in-space objects, i.e. you can orbit them, look at them, keep them at range, etc.

You should have enough control over your herd of cats to make them understand. If they constantly make misstakes, get better cats.

McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#3 - 2014-11-05 11:03:32 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Aran Hotchkiss wrote:
+1

All that I can add (and this would likely need to be done to make them appear in overview) is have them as in-space objects, i.e. you can orbit them, look at them, keep them at range, etc.

Anomalies now have the functionality you're describing. Bookmarks are a bit more odd. They can be selected in space and will overtake your 'selected item' choice however there is no actual functionality with it.

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#4 - 2014-12-14 20:11:53 UTC
Looking for more opinions on this, feel free to chime in.

Iain Cariaba
#5 - 2014-12-14 20:40:32 UTC
How about just using the proper people and places tab combined with the probe scanner and the mission carp in the upper left of the screen? You know, the tools already provided by the game.
Aran Hotchkiss
Tactically Challenged
Tactical Supremacy
#6 - 2014-12-14 22:48:41 UTC
I'm unable to check ATM but I don't think you can orbit/keep at range bookmarks.
Granted there may be technical problems with implementing that.

You should have enough control over your herd of cats to make them understand. If they constantly make misstakes, get better cats.

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#7 - 2014-12-15 00:26:49 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
How about just using the proper people and places tab combined with the probe scanner and the mission carp in the upper left of the screen? You know, the tools already provided by the game.

While I understand using the tools we have, I simply cannot understand why you are so negative to most ideas posted.
In this case I see nothing here that would break the game, or alter it in any significant way, and while these things would be of limited use to me personally I can not think of any logical or rational reason to give the thumbs down so

+1
Qn'qura Zalas Zula
Doomheim
#8 - 2014-12-15 00:38:10 UTC
I wouldn't mind personal bookmarks in the overview.
corp bookmarks im not so sure on, they could be flown to and added to personals anyhow.
Agent objectives there would be nice.
anoms & sigs though imo would work just fine in the scan window.

Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#9 - 2014-12-19 20:52:14 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Qn'qura Zalas Zula wrote:
I wouldn't mind personal bookmarks in the overview.
corp bookmarks im not so sure on, they could be flown to and added to personals anyhow.
Agent objectives there would be nice.
anoms & sigs though imo would work just fine in the scan window.

Agreed on the anoms/sigs, it's not much of a problem.
Corp bookmarks would be it's own category and could be disabled in the overview settings.

I just think it's preferential to have all warpable objects on one window (overview), for organizations sake, and so hotkeys (ex. warp to) can be used on them.

Iain Cariaba
#10 - 2014-12-19 21:55:11 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:

While I understand using the tools we have, I simply cannot understand why you are so negative to most ideas posted.
In this case I see nothing here that would break the game, or alter it in any significant way, and while these things would be of limited use to me personally I can not think of any logical or rational reason to give the thumbs down so

+1

Read my signature.

I'm not against change. I am, however, against lowering the bar of ability required for people to play this game. The information you want easy access to is already readily available. Personally, I keep a window open that has dscan, probe scanner, and people and places (set on places tab with perches/safes desplayed) all ready to go. Using this and the right-click menu for Corp bookmarks, it is already quite easy to access everything OP wants on his overview.

My opinion is that OP's suggestion amounts to another form of easy mode. You read these forums. Every time CCP makes something easier than it already is, there's always a dozen threads started full of whines about how they didn't make it easy enough. This very thread, and all the ones similar, are based of the fact that CCP put bookmarks onto the HUD. This easier access to them wasn't enough, so threads like this one were started to try and make things even easier.

Eve Online has a reputation as a very difficult game. A game that requires a certain level of dedication and effort to partake in. This reputation does keep the more casual gamer away, but the fact that it lives up to it's reputation is what keeps me, and likely a good portion of the player base, paying the monthly subscription fees every month. I want an EvE that challenges me. I want an EvE where I'm constantly on the lookout for those little tweaks, like keeping the windows open in my earlier example, that give me an edge. I do not want EvE turned into easy mode theme park.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#11 - 2014-12-20 05:52:10 UTC
because right now it is slower to warp to a bookmark than another object in space putting them on the overview could make them to powerful.

however i don't really mind either way
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#12 - 2014-12-20 06:19:58 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
because right now it is slower to warp to a bookmark than another object in space putting them on the overview could make them to powerful.

Maybe but think about it, in a stressful situation your transparent right-click menu may not be as easy to read.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Iain Cariaba
#13 - 2014-12-20 16:30:04 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

Maybe but think about it, in a stressful situation your transparent right-click menu may not be as easy to read.

Which is why there is a places tab in the people and places window. Bookmarks in system are nicely highlighted for easy viewing there.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#14 - 2014-12-20 18:18:24 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

and that is part of what makes it slower... also you don't have to have it transparent you know
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#15 - 2014-12-21 04:50:41 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
Many celestials available in the overview are available in the right-click menu. This doesn't make them redundant in one spot or the other, but rather expands it's usefulness in different scenarios. The overview is in many scenarios a more intuitive place for bookmarks and celestials than the other options.

This is most easily shown when using the align/approach tactic in PVP. If you are new and/or bad at PVP, listen up closely, this is a valuable lesson Blink

When you are using a kiting ship and you're (presumably) faster than your opponent(s), what you do is align to a celestial until you're getting out of weapons/point range, then you approach your target until you are closing in on web range, then you align to the celestial again, then approach, etc etc. This allows you to stay aligned to a celestial a good portion of the time, increasing your chances of escape should things go south or if a quicker ship lands on grid. Bookmarks though are a more logical point to align to than a celestial for obvious reasons. The overview is the most intuitive place for this since you are managing much of your combat through the overview to begin with. It's also the only place where you can use the keyboard shortcuts. The lack of bookmarks in the overview is precisely why PVPers choose celestials instead of bookmarks when using this tactic.

This same logic applies to "GTFO" bookmarks, where you are ratting for example and already very actively using your overview, you can quickly select your GTFO bookmark and warp to it with a hotkey.

Dana Goodeye
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-12-25 20:59:19 UTC
+1 for the personal bookmarks
Esmanpir
Raccoon's with LightSabers
#17 - 2014-12-26 04:08:40 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:

+1

Because he would be the Iain Cariaba that we all know and love otherwise. (Nothing but love for ya, Iain Cariaba!)