These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Vitoc Illness from infected Pod Goo Dangerous for Capital Pilots

Author
Ragnar STS
Arcane Odyssey
Electus Matari
#1 - 2014-11-01 23:19:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Ragnar STS
Danger may be creeping up on capsuleers everywhere.

Many may remember years ago when it was made public knowledge that Amarr slavers were injecting minmatar slaves with Vitoc. This horrible viral agent was fatal unless regular injections of an antidote was given to counteract the chemicals created by infected cells. Many attempts at a permanent cure have been made including nanotechnology, anti-viral phages, and tribal shaman natural cures. Some planetside individuals and capsuleers have been found to have trace levels of infection showing non-lethal levels of Vitoc -- even though they were born free and never been abused in Amarr captivity.

It is thought that we have been exposed through pod goo of stolen/liberated Amarr ships that were then turned against the enemy.

It seems a unique problem is starting to occur. These freeborn people, myself included, are getting temporary sickness including hallucinations, liver failure, kidney failure, heart failure, muscular weakness, and seizures. These events are relatively short lived, but only occur after great levels of star travel. Gate to gate travel has not brought on vitoc sickness...only extended jump drive use.

Several capsuleers hallucinating while in control of massive capital fleets may be disastrous to both themselves and others. Imagine the fallout from not properly locking onto a cynosural field and instead winding up in a random piece of space with no systems in scan range? One could even end up accidented into the middle of a highsec system against CONCORD rules.

Since this is a sickness of the mind and body, could CONCORD really hold them accountable for their actions? Perhaps we need to do something about the initial cause of the delirium and reduce the ability to cover 100s of lightyears of space in a single day.

As the full fallout of this becomes more fully known, I find it fitting that the Amarr Empire's greed, along with other supporting entities such as the Sansha and CVA, will be to blame for this catastrophic blow to capsuleer freedom. Perhaps more free-minded peoples will join in arms against them to reduce the likelihood of further destruction to the entire human race.
Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#2 - 2014-11-01 23:40:17 UTC
As far as I remember, the Vitoc IS that antidote, containing some sort of drugs and antidote to vitoxin.
This means presence of Vitoc in the capsule should cause only drugging effect on the subject without causing vitoxin infection with known consequences.

And, you know, this slave controlling method may sound atrocious, but now I understand why Amarr actually used this approach and I fully agree with their decision. For example, after talking with such minmatar specimen as Annabella Rella, I am pretty sure, that you can't get anything useful out of her, unless she will be under Vitoc. So, I guess it is my NO to any actions against the Empire for using Vitoc.

As for founding Vitoc in capsules, I have only one thing left to say:
Stop using drugs.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Jaret Victorian
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#3 - 2014-11-01 23:42:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaret Victorian
Ragnar STS wrote:

Since this is a sickness of the mind and body, could CONCORD really hold them accountable for their actions? Perhaps we need to do something about the initial cause of the delirium and reduce the ability to cover 100s of lightyears of space in a single day.

I think first of all, CONCORD needs to deal with prime cause of this problem. Confront Amarr and ban Vitoc for good.

But apparently they are more concerned about us getting a lot of sleeper salvage
Ragnar STS
Arcane Odyssey
Electus Matari
#4 - 2014-11-01 23:48:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Ragnar STS
@Diana Kim
Typical Amarr pet. You confuse the problem, the method, and the solution.

Vitoc Method is a way of controlling slaves.

Vitoxin is created by the vitoc virus; removing the need to ~annual? vitoxin injections.

Vitoxin Cure is not permanent; it is 'the antidote' for the vitoxin. It does nothing for the actual Vitoc virus. Vitoxin Cure injections are only effective for approximately 24 hours.

The cycle of stupidity continues. You regularly inject your slaves to keep them loyal to you with no actual knowledge of what you're doing. People are just people. Regular, free, untampered people do not NEED injections daily to live.

Maybe had more intelligent minds ruled at the outset, Vitox never would have been invented. Imagine the creative, social, industrial, and commercial gains we could have by now if we weren't stuck fighting this ridiculous man made disease. Creating this cycle of death has now gotten out of your control and is infecting the rest of the populace.

@Jaret Victorian
I agree the relationship is strange between these revelations of disease from the doctors and the new destroyer class being showcased by the Amarr.
Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#5 - 2014-11-01 23:49:09 UTC
Vitoxin is the disease. Vitoc is the temporary antidote.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#6 - 2014-11-01 23:54:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Samira Kernher
This is sensationalist nonsense that has no basis in reality. Unless Mr. Ragnar has some legitimate news or scientific articles to cite to prove his accusations this is irrelevant.

And for the record, I'm speaking as someone who doesn't particularly support the vitoc method. The threat of runaway mutations is a legitimate concern, but the claim made in this post has no basis in any fact.
Jaret Victorian
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#7 - 2014-11-02 00:00:06 UTC
Yeah... Right?.. Drugging people into slavery is as bad as modifying people's bodies to make slaves out of them.
Ragnar STS
Arcane Odyssey
Electus Matari
#8 - 2014-11-02 01:35:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Ragnar STS
I must say that, at first, it feels a little bit like when you first learn to jumpclone. The act of willfully taking your conciousness and zapping it over to another body is obviously a bit foreign. We all feel a bit woozy when our pods get popped and the emergency transfer happens too. You can't tell me you don't have a little bit of 'missed time' or 'lag' when you suffer an emergency transfer. There are already safeguards in place against repeated clone jumping, and most of us avoid frequent death. Jumping along with the entire ship and your regular body is obviously not as dangerous or disorienting....but it does seem to be getting worse.

Can any other capital pilots confirm or deny feeling a little bit lightheaded during the last few months while jumping? Why just the other day Equinox Daedalus admitted to having a small (cough) case of erectile dysfunction after a jump marathon evacing assets from one of our advances. All the freedom fighters knew this to be a not often talked about side effect of Vitoxin buildup. Imagine the surprise of the Amarr holder to the realization that his own tools are beginning to have an effect on him.
Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#9 - 2014-11-02 03:39:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Jaret Victorian wrote:
Yeah... Right?.. Drugging people into slavery is as bad as modifying people's bodies to make slaves out of them.


What do you mean one is worse than the other? Making slaves out of people, reducing human beings into property, is bad no matter the method.

Ragnar, are you referring to the so-called 'Jump Fatigue' that has been making the rounds lately? I hear it has less to do with Vitoxin and more to do with the hardware of jump drives having compatibility issues with pod hardware resulting in the need of stronger, more frequent synapses to activate the jump drive module, causing serious mental fatigue.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Ragnar STS
Arcane Odyssey
Electus Matari
#10 - 2014-11-02 06:45:44 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:

Ragnar, are you referring to the so-called 'Jump Fatigue' that has been making the rounds lately? I hear it has less to do with Vitoxin and more to do with the hardware of jump drives having compatibility issues with pod hardware resulting in the need of stronger, more frequent synapses to activate the jump drive module, causing serious mental fatigue.


I am. Though I don't think it is 'fatigue'. I think that is the white washed name they are giving it. When was the last time you hallucinated just because you were 'tired'. We've all heard of genetic engineered viruses and eugenics gone bad. Our scientists are not that well funded. I'm guessing others have had better luck proving this.

All I have is testing in a batch of pods showing strange incomplete segments of Vitoc virus. Rumors are spreading that is actually more like the 'weakened flu mist' and that it is live virus that has been weakened. It isn't completely infecting us....but it is changing our DNA and how we are reacting to jump mechanics or radiation.

For real guys....do you actually just have 'fatigue'? How about mild aches and pains everywhere that could be caused by liver or kidney malfunction. What about hallucinations? CVA fleets busily defending their space or moving assets report 'lack of interest' upon returning to their slave girls.

I don't think the official explanation quite fulfills all these scenarios.
Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#11 - 2014-11-02 08:02:19 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:
Vitoxin is the disease. Vitoc is the temporary antidote.

I have just said it earlier.
Do minmatar believe that repeating things instead of explaining will make other minmatar understand?
Interesting approach.

On the other hand, why would someone request understanding something from a minmatar, right?
Especially, if they are "bright" like this:
Ragnar STS wrote:
@Diana Kim
Typical Amarr pet.

Stuff them with vitoc and plantation work they go!

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#12 - 2014-11-02 08:06:54 UTC
Jaret Victorian wrote:
Yeah... Right?.. Drugging people into slavery is as bad as modifying people's bodies to make slaves out of them.

At first I was like you.
Then I met Anabella Rella.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#13 - 2014-11-02 08:33:41 UTC
Ragnar STS wrote:
@Diana Kim
Typical Amarr pet. You confuse the problem, the method, and the solution.

Vitoc Method is a way of controlling slaves.

Vitoxin is created by the vitoc virus; removing the need to ~annual? vitoxin injections.

Vitoxin Cure is not permanent; it is 'the antidote' for the vitoxin. It does nothing for the actual Vitoc virus. Vitoxin Cure injections are only effective for approximately 24 hours.

The cycle of stupidity continues. You regularly inject your slaves to keep them loyal to you with no actual knowledge of what you're doing. People are just people. Regular, free, untampered people do not NEED injections daily to live.

Maybe had more intelligent minds ruled at the outset, Vitox never would have been invented. Imagine the creative, social, industrial, and commercial gains we could have by now if we weren't stuck fighting this ridiculous man made disease. Creating this cycle of death has now gotten out of your control and is infecting the rest of the populace.

I am sorry, that I have missed this pearl:
Ragnar STS wrote:
The cycle of stupidity continues. You regularly inject your slaves...

I do my what? Big smile
Ragnar STS wrote:
The cycle of stupidity continues.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Elmund Egivand
Sebestacny Circle
#14 - 2014-11-02 10:09:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Ragnar STS wrote:
Elmund Egivand wrote:

Ragnar, are you referring to the so-called 'Jump Fatigue' that has been making the rounds lately? I hear it has less to do with Vitoxin and more to do with the hardware of jump drives having compatibility issues with pod hardware resulting in the need of stronger, more frequent synapses to activate the jump drive module, causing serious mental fatigue.


I am. Though I don't think it is 'fatigue'. I think that is the white washed name they are giving it. When was the last time you hallucinated just because you were 'tired'. We've all heard of genetic engineered viruses and eugenics gone bad. Our scientists are not that well funded. I'm guessing others have had better luck proving this.

All I have is testing in a batch of pods showing strange incomplete segments of Vitoc virus. Rumors are spreading that is actually more like the 'weakened flu mist' and that it is live virus that has been weakened. It isn't completely infecting us....but it is changing our DNA and how we are reacting to jump mechanics or radiation.

For real guys....do you actually just have 'fatigue'? How about mild aches and pains everywhere that could be caused by liver or kidney malfunction. What about hallucinations? CVA fleets busily defending their space or moving assets report 'lack of interest' upon returning to their slave girls.

I don't think the official explanation quite fulfills all these scenarios.


I never did use jump drives and I have no intention of flying anything that uses one for a very long time. It isn't suitable for the kind of work I'm engaged in.

Anyway, your claims are extraordinary, and I sure hope you are familiar with the adage: "Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence'? Do you have any literature which we can peruse to determine the veracity of your claims?

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Valerie Valate
Church of The Crimson Saviour
#15 - 2014-11-02 10:51:12 UTC
Ah yes, of course.

The Minmatar tendency to blame everything on the Amarr Empire, is both amusing and depressing.

Get a small stone in your boot while out walking ? Amarr agents must be distributing small rocks everywhere.

It rained after you put your laundry out to dry in the sunlight ? Amarr weather control satellites.

A bird defecates on your freshly washed and polished ground vehicle ? Not a bird, an Amarr miniature drone.

Spicy food giving you a stomach upset ? The cook must be an Amarr spy.

An envelope arrives at your apartment with a wrong address on it ? Must be Amarr surveillance, watching how you react.

Your neighbour across the street is watching you with binoculars ? Amarr spy. Better keep an eye on them with your telescope.

A child who you thought belonged to your neighbour, steps on your lawn ? They're distributing Amarr nanomachine spying devices.


Infected pod goo, really now.

Doctor V. Valate, Professor of Archaeology at Kaztropolis Imperial University.

Jaret Victorian
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#16 - 2014-11-02 12:33:32 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:

Making slaves out of people, reducing human beings into property, is bad no matter the method.

Yes, I meant that Amarr slavery is as outrageous as Sansha slavery, that's all.

Is there something wrong with my translation tool... hm...

Diana Kim wrote:

At first I was like you.
Then I met Anabella Rella.

Haha, Indeed. Still, while we, capsuleers, have a privilege of not being drug-addicted slaves, many baseliners suffer.
Nauplius
Hoi Andrapodistai
#17 - 2014-11-02 14:30:10 UTC
Vitoc is a gift from God and a sign both of his enduring love for his Chosen people (however wayward) and his continued blessing upon the righteous and holy practice of slavery.

If Empyrean capital pilots be suffering a sort of "Vitoc Fatigue" that limits their jump drive capabilities, perhaps we should take this as a sign from God that God finds the amount of jump drive usage among Empyreans to be excessive — perhaps even a threat to his Chosen Empires — and that God is working to reign in the power of the Empyreans somewhat.
Ugleb
Jotunn Risi
#18 - 2014-11-02 20:32:48 UTC
The whole thing has CONCORD's grubby finger prints all over it. CONCORD craves stability above all and what does the Vitoc Method ensure but the imposition of order over an otherwise disgruntled populace? Doubtless they will turn to some other explanation to deflect blame away from the Amarr. Better to blame some external factor than to allow for further discord to impact the status quo.

Now if you will all excuse me I need to go lie down, I feel quite...tired.

http://uglebsjournal.wordpress.com/

The Jotunn Risi are now recruiting, Brutor ancestry required in order to best represent the Brutor interest.  Join channel JORIS to learn more!

Mizhara Del'thul
Kyn'aldrnari
#19 - 2014-11-02 21:10:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Mizhara Del'thul
While this isn't all that far-fetched, it is a bit of a leap to point fingers without a bit more to go on. I have no problem believing both the Imperials and CONCORD would go to great lengths to introduce better controlling elements than they have right now, and this would certainly be both a believable method and tool to follow their motivations and goals. I think I'd need a bit more than "hmm, that's strange" and supposition to make that conclusion though.

In the interest of exploring this further, in case there's something to it, I'll have my own pod fluids and samples from all my clones sent to an independent party for analysis and tests, as well as to any Ushra'Khan party that would like more to go on. I would also appreciate it if U'Ks findings were shared so I could send those to said independent party for comparison.

If any finds prove similar, it'll be rather interesting as right now U'K and Sarz'namarr does not share neither suppliers or any direct affiliation in ship construction or pod fluids as far as I am aware. If the findings don't match up, that might have other implications and if nothing else narrow down possible sources by elimination.

Edited to add:

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not use jump drives on my current stock of ships. This might change within the next few months, but at the moment I largely stick with jumpgates and wormholes.
Ragnar STS
Arcane Odyssey
Electus Matari
#20 - 2014-11-02 21:16:07 UTC
Mizhara Del'thul wrote:
In the interest of full disclosure, I do not use jump drives on my current stock of ships. This might change within the next few months, but at the moment I largely stick with jumpgates and wormholes.


No effects on non-jump travelers. Your 'testing' is about as useful as a gravity check on a hunk of veldspar. I don't even know why you waste the IGS time with your useless arguing.
123Next pageLast page