These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

New Notifications are now live on Singularity!

First post
Author
CCP Turtlepower
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2014-09-19 14:57:34 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Habakuk
Greetings Sisi pilots,

We have now activated the new notifications system on Singularity. For more info on the feature, please check out this devblog:

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/opt-in-notification-changes-for-oceanus/

This feature is opt-in, so you will have to push a button in the ESC menu under the General Settings tab to turn it on. Please report any bugs via bug reports, and general feedback and suggestions in this thread.

Cheers,
CCP Turtlepower // Team Pirate Unicorns

Known issues:
* Tooltips for the notifications contain debug information, will be fixed next week
* Right clicking on notifications in the settings window will bring up debug features, will be removed next week
* Some notifications are missing icons
* Various issues when UI scaling
* When scrolling in history view, moving the mouse cursor away from window will close the window
* No standings are displayed on contact notifications
* No sound
Noriko Mai
#2 - 2014-09-19 16:59:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Noriko Mai
first \o/

Edit: Please don't remove the debug feature for a week or so. It is very good for testing how it all looks and works. Smile

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#3 - 2014-09-19 17:35:59 UTC
awesome!

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Max Kolonko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-09-19 18:11:53 UTC
CCP Turtlepower wrote:
Greetings Sisi pilots,

We have now activated the new notifications system on Singularity. For more info on the feature, please check out this devblog:

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/opt-in-notification-changes-for-oceanus/

This feature is opt-in, so you will have to push a button in the ESC menu under the General Settings tab to turn it on. Please report any bugs via bug reports, and general feedback and suggestions in this thread.

Cheers,
CCP Turtlepower // Team Pirate Unicorns

Known issues:
* Tooltips for the notifications contain debug information, will be fixed next week
* Right clicking on notifications in the settings window will bring up debug features, will be removed next week
* Some notifications are missing icons
* Various issues when UI scaling
* When scrolling in history view, moving the mouse cursor away from window will close the window
* No standings are displayed on contact notifications
* No sound

looks great, waiting for moment when i will be able to drag the anchor to difrent place on screen
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2014-09-19 18:58:54 UTC
Max Kolonko wrote:
looks great, waiting for moment when i will be able to drag the anchor to difrent place on screen
I'm pretty sure you can already do that.

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-09-19 19:25:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Masao Kurata
I found out through experimentation that you "drag" by right clicking then left clicking on the place you want it which is... odd to say the least, nothing else is "dragged" like this in EVE or indeed any other program that I can think of except maybe some CAD software I used a long time ago...

Anyway um... hmm. Liking this in principle but hating the fact that it's a button that's on screen all the time. Wouldn't a neocom element above the clock make sense? (Yes you can place it there but it won't respect autohide if you use that. I don't so I'm okay with just putting it there personally.)
Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2014-09-19 19:34:00 UTC
Oh while you're working with notifications you know what would be fantastic? System/station links in locator agent notifications, and access to that through the notification's context menu in this new UI.
Darkblad
Doomheim
#8 - 2014-09-20 07:39:06 UTC
With the high number of notifications that can be configured, will it be possible to share the current setup? Just like overview settings. Blink

NPEISDRIP

Darkblad
Doomheim
#9 - 2014-09-20 07:43:04 UTC
Masao Kurata wrote:
I found out through experimentation that you "drag" by right clicking then left clicking on the place you want it which is... odd to say the least, nothing else is "dragged" like this in EVE or indeed any other program that I can think of except maybe some CAD software I used a long time ago...
I assume that the trigger to enter moving mode for the notifications is set in a way that you don't accidentaly shove it around. Instead of right clicking you also can left click and hold until the widget gets a little larger, then move and release the mouse button to drop the widget.

NPEISDRIP

Max Kolonko
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-09-20 10:44:32 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Max Kolonko wrote:

Than pls do tell me how. Tried top drag and drop, tried to look for setting in notification settings that would unlock with no result. Maybe I missed something?
Noriko Mai
#11 - 2014-09-20 10:57:35 UTC
Max Kolonko wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:
Max Kolonko wrote:

Than pls do tell me how. Tried top drag and drop, tried to look for setting in notification settings that would unlock with no result. Maybe I missed something?

right click for a few seconds

"Meh.." - Albert Einstein

CCP Delegate Zero
C C P
C C P Alliance
#12 - 2014-09-20 18:20:25 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Delegate Zero
Darkblad wrote:
Masao Kurata wrote:
I assume that the trigger to enter moving mode for the notifications is set in a way that you don't accidentaly shove it around. Instead of right clicking you also can left click and hold until the widget gets a little larger, then move and release the mouse button to drop the widget.

That's right. The delay may be tuned a little high but we can look at it with all the other feedback.

To your question about sharing settings, it is on our radar. As the intention is to build on the existing notifications set with new ones, we know we have to think about setting profiles and potentially sharing them.

CCP Delegate Zero | Content Designer - Writer | @CCPDelegateZero

Minxee
Perkone
Caldari State
#13 - 2014-09-21 09:32:45 UTC
Might have missed it but is there a clear history button for the notifications?
Logix42
Taxation Damnation
#14 - 2014-09-22 02:52:36 UTC
Initial Feedback

Right click to move is weird and I think very bad. Everywhere else in EVE we right click to get a context menu. Instead you should have a context menu when you right click and one of the options should be 'Move'. You could have a radial menu on it too similar to other EVE things that have context and radial menus. Consistent reliable behaviour is key to UX

Also, it would be nice to be able to set a hotkey to show/hide the notifications.
For bonus points: Once the notifications are shown and focused, allow keyboard navigation to select items and expand. Something like arrow keys to move up and down, Enter to expand an item ( or do the same action as click)

Go beyond the edge of space... Explore

Xenuria
#15 - 2014-09-23 17:23:39 UTC
Can we please have configurable notifications?

I want to get a notification every time somebody says my name in any given channel.
I also want a notification every time my ship collides with somebody and the name of that ship and player.
Ahbu Kahn
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2014-09-23 17:24:45 UTC
Not sure if I missed it, but would be nice to have a feature to clear the history, kinda like the chat clear feature.
Ice Starbuck
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2014-09-25 00:28:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Ice Starbuck
I know that this post is far too long, but it's very late and I'm getting talkative. Additional argument agains simplifier it is that you haven't spent enough time on planning (at last this is my opinion) what do you need to do, so reading it is going to be your punishemtBlink (I know that it might don't have much sense, but I hope that you'd get my point).

Some feedback

Notifications are looking much better now, but I think that they're far from how they supposed to work. A few ideas:

1. MANAGE FILTERS/SETTINGS.

Nobody is perfect.

a) short version
We need some presets / filters that can be saved and easy changed (something like overview / scanner filters).

b) TLDR version
You cannot make a set of settings that'd be perfect for any situation. Depends on player actions he or she might need different notification, so those settings needs to be adjusted.
When a player is on a hunt, or if he or she is spying on other corp / player watchlist is going to be [almost] the only important thing. Everything else is nothing but distraction. When it's done a different set of setting might be needed. For example that player may return to his or her base and want to check if any of his corpmate's done something stupid, or check if there is a tower that's asking for some fuel. With the new system we have so many options and there is no way to reconfigure the whole system every time.. and I can think of situations when a player'd like to change his or her notifications a few times during a single minute.
If it isn't enough, think about human error. If a player needs to change those setting from time to time, there is no way to remember about all checkboxes. Some of them will be missed from time to time and that player is not going to be aware about that. What may the consequences be?Blink

I think that we need a way of saving and changing settings. A simple combobox with a few buttons (or a context menu) should be enough. I don't think that this new notification system's going to be very useful without it.

2. Limits.

My name is Legion for we are many.

a) short version
We need a way to limit number (or time period) of notifications.

b) TLDR version.
I can see that those notifications are somehow limited in the history (f.e. I'm not able to see notifications for skills finished more than 1 month ago), but it isn't enough. This time I'm skipping examples, but there can be many situations when player'd like to keep his history short (or to see something beyond the default limit for one notification). A tickbox and slider / textbox should be enough to limit the number of notifications displayed in the history. It'd be nice to have something to adjust the time period (a slider? a combo box?). It should make notification much more useful.

3. Duplicated history entry for adding a new contact to watchlist.

Double the fun

I added a new contact to my watchlist and I got 2 notifications about his status. It didn't matter if the contact was online or offline (I tried it twice).

Shame on you QAsBlink

4. No notification about adding/removing contacts.

I suppose that is wasn't implemented yet (you know that it's going to be released in less than a week. Don't you?). I can see that other notifications are missing as well (like podded corpmates), but it might be caused, because there wasn't such event since that system was released on sisi.

5. Optimize it.

"Happy new year" - IE

I know that I'm running 3 clients in the same time and my computer is not as fast as it could be, but the Notifications Settings window loads for a few seconds and it seems to be a very stressful action for my client. I'd understand if there is a fancy 3d preview of... whatever, but it's a simple configuration window. Check it.

6. Some options should be hidden / greyed.

These aren't the droids you're looking for

I think that you should hide or mark settings that don't have any sense for the current pilot. For example a corp member with right roles won't get any notication about new applications for a corporation or that towers are running out of fuel. New players are going to be overwhelmed with all those settings anyway, so you could at last make it a little simpler for them.

7. Context menus.

You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

It's nice that clicking on notification is linked to different actions, but I think that it should be more useful (and consistent with the existing UI) to have a context menu at last for entities like pilots status changes (it's linked with a pilot profile), missions (it should be an agent context menu, or at last a default option to speak with that agent), etc.

8. Sound notifications.

Morning Starbuck. What do you hear?

I know that there is no chance to deliver it as part of the next update, but I think that it's a good oportunity to manage sound notifications ("Skill training completed", etc.). I think that you could add another checkbox that'd enable/disable sound notification for that action.

9. Corporation / alliance logos.

Here you have the chance to be part of something much bigger than yourself

I've noticed that corporation notifications (like tax rate change) use some kind of a dummy icon. I think that it should be changed to a corporation logo (or alliance logo for an alliance entries).
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#18 - 2014-09-25 00:39:52 UTC
Ice Starbuck wrote:
I know that this post is far too long, but it's very late and I'm getting talkative. Additional argument agains simplifier it is that you haven't spent enough time on planning (at last this is my opinion) what do you need to do, so reading it is going to be your punishemtBlink

Some feedback

Notifications are looking much better now, but I think that they're far from how they supposed to work. A few ideas:

1. MANAGE FILTERS/SETTINGS.

Nobody is perfect.

a) short version
We need some presets / filters that can be saved and easy changed (something like overview / scanner filters).

b) TLDR version
You cannot make a set of settings that'd be perfect for any situation. Depends on player actions he or she might need different notification, so those settings needs to be adjusted.
When a player is on a hunt, or if he or she is spying on other corp / player watchlist is going to be [almost] the only important thing. Everything else is nothing but distraction. When it's done a different set of setting might be needed. For example that player may return to his or her base and want to check if any of his corpmate's done something stupid, or check if there is a tower that's asking for some fuel. With the new system we have so many options and there is no way to reconfigure the whole system every time.. and I can think of situations when a player'd like to change his or her notifications a few times during a single minute.
If it isn't enough, think about human error. If a player needs to change those setting from time to time, there is no way to remember about all checkboxes. Some of them will be missed from time to time and that player is not going to be aware about that. What may the consequences be?Blink

I think that we need a way of saving and changing settings. A simple combobox with a few buttons (or a context menu) should be enough. I don't think that this new notification system's going to be very useful without it.

2. Limits.

My name is Legion for we are many.

a) short version
We need a way to limit number (or time period) of notifications.

b) TLDR version.
I can see that those notifications are somehow limited in the history (f.e. I'm not able to see notifications for skills finished more than 1 month ago), but it isn't enough. This time I'm skipping examples, but there can be many situations when player'd like to keep his history short (or to see something beyond the default limit for one notification). A tickbox and slider / textbox should be enough to limit the number of notifications displayed in the history. It'd be nice to have something to adjust the time period (a slider? a combo box?). It should make notification much more useful.

3. Duplicated history entry for adding a new contact to watchlist.

Double the fun

I added a new contact to my watchlist and I got 2 notifications about his status. It didn't matter if the contact was online or offline (I tried it twice).

Shame on you QAsBlink

4. No notification about adding/removing contacts.

I suppose that is wasn't implemented yet (you know that it's going to be released in less than a week. Don't you?). I can see that other notifications are missing as well (like podded corpmates), but it might be caused, because there wasn't such event since that system was released on sisi.

5. Optimize it.

"Happy new year" - IE

I know that I'm running 3 clients in the same time and my computer is not as fast as it could be, but the Notifications Settings window loads for a few seconds and it seems to be a very stressful action for my client. I'd understand if there is a fancy 3d preview of... whatever, but it's a simple configuration window. Check it.

6. Some options should be hidden / greyed.

These aren't the droids you're looking for

I think that you should hide or mark settings that don't have any sense for the current pilot. For example a corp member with right roles won't get any notication about new applications for a corporation or that towers are running out of fuel. New players are going to be overwhelmed with all those settings anyway, so you could at last make it a little simpler for them.

7. Context menus.

You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

It's nice that clicking on notification is linked to different actions, but I think that it should be more useful (and consistent with the existing UI) to have a context menu at last for entities like pilots status changes (it's linked with a pilot profile), missions (it should be an agent context menu, or at last a default option to speak with that agent), etc.

8. Sound notifications.

Morning Starbuck. What do you hear?

I know that there is no chance to deliver it as part of the next update, but I think that it's a good oportunity to manage sound notifications ("Skill training completed", etc.). I think that you could add another checkbox that'd enable/disable sound notification for that action.

Could you please cross post in the devblog thread its getting more traffic.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=373852&find=unread

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Ice Starbuck
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#19 - 2014-09-25 01:27:56 UTC
Salpun wrote:
Could you please cross post in the devblog thread its getting more traffic.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=373852&find=unread

It might be caused because of a late hour, but I don't think that duplicating this post is a good idea. DEVs should read it here anyway and they can choose to use my feedback or not. What is more, I suppose that most of possible comments about it would be "TLDR". I know what I'm captable of when I should be sleeping for a long time;)
marVLs
#20 - 2014-09-25 12:33:41 UTC
I just love them :) hope this will be developed more
12Next page