These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

As a fairly new player- is Exploration or Mission running better?

First post
Author
Ka' Zutao Hashur
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2014-08-19 16:38:34 UTC
I have an interest in doing exploration stuff but I keep reading its best to do that type of stuff when you have a Covert Ops ship? Is it possible to do in a Frigate? or is it just better to run missions until your skills catch up and allow you to fly a better ship?
Paranoid Loyd
#2 - 2014-08-19 17:08:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Depends on your play style, try them both. Missions are consistent but low income, exploring has potential for a nice payout but you may go hours or days without getting anything, especially if you only explore in hi-sec.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Sulliva Slake
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2014-08-19 17:32:35 UTC
If you like low sec you can go around looking for Clone soldiers/Mordus rats in a Algos. If you find a mordus bigger then a frig you will need to reship into something bigger but the payout can be very good, even if its just clone tags.

But yea it really depends on your playstyle. If you like constant, reliable, safe payouts, go with missions.

If you like to play more dangerous, you can try combat sites in low/nullsec. A lot of times you get nothing but bounties and overseer effects, other times you come out big with pirate BPCs and deadspace and fraction modules.. All in 1 site.

As for the data/relic, they are a bit more constant, but can still have their ups and downs.

As for best profits.. its hard to say.. It depends on how much space you explore. Obv the more space you farm, the more you will yield.

The main difference is its a different style of play. It can sometimes pay off big, other times you can go a week without anything but crapsites
SFM Hobb3s
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-08-19 18:35:07 UTC
For any nullsec combat exploration, you'll need to keep in mind that likely the bulk of your income is going to be Overseer effects. Getting faction drops and shiny ded loot is not so common anymore. Consider the 1 in average 20 sites you run that happen to drop some nice faction loot to be just a bonus.

Also settings expectations this way means you won't be one of those peeps who posts on the forum asking if the drops got nerfed, and getting subjected to the usual 'random is random' responses.
Mooh Bear
Gurista Testing Group LLC
#5 - 2014-08-19 18:50:15 UTC
Missions can provide a nice steady income, once you can do L4 efficiently for a corp with a good LP store. Before that, it's meh. I've started doing null-sec exploration recently, just data/relic sites in a covops. Can't say I've been impressed by the isks, but it's certainly a change of pace. I believe it would be doable in a T1 frig with the MWD/cloak trick to travel, but you still need the astrometrics/hacking/archeology skills at a decent level to get anything done. Haven't tried combat sites so far, don't have the SP for a T3. Keep in mind that anything done in low/null-sec or WH space is going to have a lot of downtime, depending on other players activities.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#6 - 2014-08-19 18:56:25 UTC
If you're paying with PLEX missions. If you are paying cash then whatever you like more. I do both, both are fun.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Ka' Zutao Hashur
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-08-19 19:00:51 UTC
I am paying with Cash, I don't have the income atm to pay with Plex and even if I did i'd be more interested Selling the Plex on the market than actually using it!!

Well thanks for all the feedback, I am kind of interested in PVP functions as I have done that in the past in MMO's i've played and I really enjoy that, I don't want to get stuck into like Mining and industry as that seems like it could get very boring, i'm more of an adrenaline junky.
Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#8 - 2014-08-19 19:04:00 UTC
Ka' Zutao Hashur wrote:
I have an interest in doing exploration stuff but I keep reading its best to do that type of stuff when you have a Covert Ops ship? Is it possible to do in a Frigate? or is it just better to run missions until your skills catch up and allow you to fly a better ship?


If you're just starting with it, use the T1-exploration frigates until you know enough. Go into LowSec to learn how to deal with sudden visitors in sites, then upgrade either to an Astero (expensive, less skill-intensive) or a cov-op frigate.

Later on you can try out T3-cruisers or a Stratios. Hell, if you're someday have all your exploration-skills on max, you could even try out recon-cruisers if you want. (T3 or Stratios are just the best, not the only options)

And as long as you only want to run Relic/Data-sites in K-Space, Astero is the best choice if you want to shush away other player's cov-ops from your sites. Or cov-ops if running away is more fun to you.

You may have noticed I'm kind of biased here. P

But really, missions are steady money but kind of boring until more burner-missions become available and exploration can bring you money (but not guaranteed), but always brings you to new places and players.

The decision is yours. Lol
Sir Livingston
Doomheim
#9 - 2014-08-19 20:00:51 UTC
you can run data sites in high-sec and earn decent isk. it doesn't require much skill training either

Sci-fi games as played by an earthbound human in the 21st century http://www.youtube.com/JonnyPew

Ka' Zutao Hashur
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-08-19 20:17:23 UTC
Thanks I really appreciate the direction from you all!!!! I think I might just set up a T1 Frigate and just start exploring higher sec sites for the time being.
Sulliva Slake
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2014-08-19 21:24:04 UTC
Ka' Zutao Hashur wrote:
Thanks I really appreciate the direction from you all!!!! I think I might just set up a T1 Frigate and just start exploring higher sec sites for the time being.


Yes do this. once you get used to the hacking, go to low/nullsec. its MUCH better income then hisec sites. (even when you do loose it, its less then a 10 mil loss. Just dont carry too much loot at once :p)

also IMO the imicus is the best t1 explorer. you can have 3 warp core stabs, plus everything you need for the sites themselves, including a cargoscanner to pick the best ones to hack. however the best defnse is not getting pointed in the first place :p
Feanor Feuergeist
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2014-08-19 21:32:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Feanor Feuergeist
Hello fellow capsulers.
As a fairly new player myself i can only give you a clear answer : exploration!
I remember the feeling when i returned for the first time with my imicus and 200m loot after 10 of 00 in that poor paper thin but trusty frigate , wich is far superior to lvl1 and 2 mission running.
And its far more fun :D especially as a new player you have nothing to loose!!!
Get a t1 cloak imicus and lvl4 hacking and avionic skills and fit 2 warp core stabs!

if you like it get your skills get blackops frigate and the black ops cloaky for better isk/h and less crapping pants.
Its still my main source of income.

Also i can only advise anyone if new or vet to have a look at Sir Livingstons Youtube stuff.
Its extremely helpful and always opens up new firlds of activity.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2014-08-19 23:24:16 UTC
Do hisec sites while training a covops frigate and you may as well train interceptors while you are at it.

Note that Racial Frigate V is one of the most useful (whilst also most neglected )early skills. It gives you access to Bombers, Covops, Interceptors, Assault Frigates and Ewar frigates.
Ka' Zutao Hashur
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2014-08-20 04:03:17 UTC
any advice on a good fit for an Imicus?
Andrew Indy
Cleaning Crew
#15 - 2014-08-20 06:11:09 UTC
Ka' Zutao Hashur wrote:
any advice on a good fit for an Imicus?


High - Cloak
Mids - Data and Relic Analyzer, 1mn MWD, Cargo scanner
Lows - 2 warp care stabs , nano fiber
Rigs - Either GRavity Caps or Memetic/Emission (you can only fit 2 of either)

In low/Null people will generally not attack unless they have enough points to catch you (2 scram) so fitting 3 warp cores is of little value , it just nerfs the range/speed at which you can cargo scan the cans. They are most valuable in getting past gate camps where 2 is enough for the most part and the extra speed /agility of the Nano fiber often helps more (burning out of a bubble, warping away before you get healed ect)
Mr Mac
Dark Goliath
#16 - 2014-08-20 06:24:47 UTC
Andrew Indy wrote:
Ka' Zutao Hashur wrote:
any advice on a good fit for an Imicus?


High - Cloak
Mids - Data and Relic Analyzer, 1mn MWD, Cargo scanner
Lows - 2 warp care stabs , nano fiber
Rigs - Either GRavity Caps or Memetic/Emission (you can only fit 2 of either)

In low/Null people will generally not attack unless they have enough points to catch you (2 scram) so fitting 3 warp cores is of little value , it just nerfs the range/speed at which you can cargo scan the cans. They are most valuable in getting past gate camps where 2 is enough for the most part and the extra speed /agility of the Nano fiber often helps more (burning out of a bubble, warping away before you get healed ect)


And Probe Launcher
Ka' Zutao Hashur
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2014-08-20 13:51:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Ka' Zutao Hashur
Mr Mac wrote:
Andrew Indy wrote:
Ka' Zutao Hashur wrote:
any advice on a good fit for an Imicus?


High - Cloak
Mids - Data and Relic Analyzer, 1mn MWD, Cargo scanner
Lows - 2 warp care stabs , nano fiber
Rigs - Either GRavity Caps or Memetic/Emission (you can only fit 2 of either)

In low/Null people will generally not attack unless they have enough points to catch you (2 scram) so fitting 3 warp cores is of little value , it just nerfs the range/speed at which you can cargo scan the cans. They are most valuable in getting past gate camps where 2 is enough for the most part and the extra speed /agility of the Nano fiber often helps more (burning out of a bubble, warping away before you get healed ect)


And Probe Launcher



I assume he was thinking (hoping) I was smart enough to assume that the probe launcher needed to be there :D
Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#18 - 2014-08-20 14:41:25 UTC
Plan to do both.

Doing only one thing in Eve can lead to burnout, whereas being able to do a variety of things keeps it interesting. Like after scanning 60 systems over two days and finding squat.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2014-08-21 23:58:48 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
*Snip* Removed reply to a deleted post. ISD Ezwal.

As far as losec, WH space or null goes I have yet to see a single CODE gatecamp or any other CODE presence in low, null or any WH I have scouted. I am sure they DO occasionally pop up in low or null but the chances of bumping into them outside hisec is is close enough to nil.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2014-08-22 10:17:36 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
As far as losec, WH space or null goes I have yet to see a single CODE gatecamp or any other CODE presence in low, null or any WH I have scouted. I am sure they DO occasionally pop up in low or null but the chances of bumping into them outside hisec is is close enough to nil.


Seems unlikely, people there have guns.
12Next page