These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Account-wide training queue

Author
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2014-08-14 04:28:53 UTC
I think we can all agree that managing the training queues of multiple characters on the same account is a bit of a pain in the ass. For example, if I want to train something on one character that I'm currently logged into but another on the same account is already training, I have to quit EVE, launch EVE again on the same account, pause training on the other character, quit EVE, launch EVE yet again on that same account, and start training on the first character. Another issue that comes to mind is if one character is finishing the last skill you wish to train - you can't queue up skills for another character to train until that first character's skill queue runs out.

I'm proposing that EVE adds methods to the interface which would allow managing of skill queues for any character in the account, from any character in the account. Let's say my account has characters A, B, and C. The account-wide skill queue would allow me to pause character A's training from character B and C for example, as well as from itself of course. Additionally the account-wide queue would allow you to queue skills across multiple characters. For example if character A is finishing a skill and I want to switch to training character B, the account-wide queue would allow me to add a skill on character B to start training once the skill on character A is complete, assuming of course that the skill on character A is complete within 24 hours.

On a similar note, allow characters to inject and queue skills whose prerequisites finish within 24 hours, but if that skill or any of its prerequisites are removed from the queue or lost that skillbook gets placed into the inventory location where it was injected from. If that inventory location no longer exists (say, you injected it from cargo and the ship was blown up/repackaged/etc.) and you try to de-inject the skill, then the skillbook gets destroyed. This would prevent people from injecting skillbooks just to move them. Alternatively you could allow people to inject skillbooks with prerequisites that finish in 24 hours but force them to commit to that skill queue with no changes until the prerequisites finish.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Jur Tissant
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2014-08-14 04:32:48 UTC
Honestly, I don't see the harm in letting people inject skills regardless of the prereqs. It'll just be locked at level 0 until the prereqs are trained, or it could be queued to level I after the prereqs.

As for an account-wide queue system - definitely yes. Changing characters is already harder than it should be, and if character A's skill queue ends at 4 in the morning I'm not getting up to start character B's. However, given that these are unique characters I'm not entirely sure how much of a task this would be for CCP. I can't think of any other instance in the game where you control a character from another character's UI.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2014-08-14 04:41:42 UTC
Yeah, I think really the only holdup is the programming complexity. There's no gameplay or balance reason I can think of not to do this.

lord xavier
Rubbed Out
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#4 - 2014-08-14 10:15:41 UTC
I am all for accessing the training queue from any character or even FINALLY getting an option at the ESC menu to log out to character selection.

As for the skills thing; I dont see the harm in it. Though, I can see alot of newer players with about 200 skills they cant use, nor will ever use. It might make an even more erratic list of skills being trained to L2/3 for the brand new players who are not getting any guidance. It would make it easier for more veteran/senior players who want to train alts to a specific pattern but do not want to wait around in Jita for 5 or 6 days waiting for the basic pre-reqs just to inject all the skills and head out to that alts dest.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2014-08-14 11:28:15 UTC
I'm going to say no, because you play as a character not an account... Having multiple accounts is your problem, deal with it.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-08-14 11:29:44 UTC
Celthric Kanerian wrote:
I'm going to say no, because you play as a character not an account... Having multiple accounts is your problem, deal with it.

That's a pretty nonsensical reason for opposing a reasonable quality of life improvement for many EVE players.
I'm also pretty sure that you didn't actually read what I wrote.

Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-08-14 11:41:35 UTC
The interface for this could be easy enough to do. Have a fourth option in the character selection screen that's just "skill queue". Click it, and then along the left side of the screen you get portraits for your up to 3 characters. Click on one to access the skills they currently have injected, scroll through the list, add it to the training queue (like it currently is). Then, click on another character, add more skills, etc.

I keep hearing that the code to this game is ancient and archaic. But if the game can detect and prevent people from popping up multiple training queues, then it already has most of the database-checking and account access coding required to make this happen. This should be just a simple change from accessing skill queues from the selection screen rather than inside an individual character in the game. The queue itself would still work basically the same.
Swiftstrike1
Swiftstrike Incorporated
#8 - 2014-08-14 13:18:28 UTC
+1 for managing all skill queues from each character on the account.

There should be a dropdown menu on the skill queue window to allow you to select a character and quickly/easily add a skill to the queue from character B to begin immediately after character A finishes training. The normal 24h window would still apply ofc.

Casual Incursion runner & Faction Warfare grunt, ex-Wormholer, ex-Nullbear.

admiral root
Red Galaxy
#9 - 2014-08-14 15:16:46 UTC
+1

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Brutalis Furia
Hammer and Anvil Industries
#10 - 2014-08-16 22:00:53 UTC
If the skill queue is account based it should be fairly easy. You add a skill to train for any char on the account and you're good to go.

I fear this problem lies with the queue being character based, however. I'm pretty sure multiple characters was an addition to the game, if a older one. What that means from a software perspective is that Character A and Character B (and Character C for that matter) are totally separate entities each with their own queue and all sitting in the same account container.

I don't know how much of a headache it would be to get all those queues moved from the character profile to the account profile, but I'd imagine a few things would happen: all currently training skills would be stopped, and all skill queues would be wiped. I can just hear the outcry now.
Christopher Mabata
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2014-08-16 22:09:20 UTC
Honestly give us a "Log out to charachter selection menu" button and im 110% content, even if it only shaves a few seconds off the whole ordeal.

♣ Small Gang PVP, Large Fleet PVP, Black Ops, Incursions, Trade, and Industry ♣ 70% Lethal / 30% Super-Snuggly / 110% No idea what im doing ♣

This Message Brought to you by a sweet and sour bittervet