These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Possible Rorqual Rebirth

Author
Lilith Shea
Multiplex Gaming
The Bastion
#1 - 2014-07-02 17:37:30 UTC
So with the new changes coming out, POS mechanics, compression arrays, outpost refining... ccp admitted Rorqual is going to need some love to be awesome again. I know it will likely never happen but would a Capital Mining Ship be too much to ask for :-p

I don't mean a mining beast to purge the universe of evil roid fields in the lawless lands of null/WH. But just a sexy alternative to the small barges we see now. I would hate flying a Rorqual that has 6 strips and a fleet of 20 mining drones... profitable, but not fun. But at the same time it would be awesome to fit maybe 2 strips some drone control mods and a fleet of 10. Wouldn't it be cool to go out to a field or anom and siege mode a rorq... now you have a miner that can pull from I dunno 100k out and 10 drones to protect against rats. Something like that.... not OP, just giving miners the ability to fly the big sexy ships and be make money. Something that doesn't just look pretty while making everyone else more isk.

Or maybe even forget the strips, keep the boost slots to help out fleet and just give it a carrier style drone control... you have your miners in the anoms eating the big rocks, while a rorqual is hanging out in the belts chewing and cleaning up all the little crap roids that no one ever touches.

This is all just me throwing out ideas, of course a serious look into the viability and balancing would have to be done by those much more privy than me but at least explore the idea. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to pilot a capital mining ship... there should really not be a reason why boosters have to remain parked at a POS to be useful. I really don't want to PLEX or sub just to have another 10% yield (just throwing a number out there... no flames necessary :)
Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2014-07-02 22:29:58 UTC
I've suggested the same thing myself, hope it happens!

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

Iain Cariaba
#3 - 2014-07-02 22:37:43 UTC
Let it make more than just compressed ore. Let me run any manufacturing job that will fit into the holds on it, with a slight reduction in manufacturing time. It is a capital industrial ship, after all, so let me be industrious with it.
Marsan
#4 - 2014-07-03 00:03:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Marsan
The basic problem isthat it seems like CCP wants to figure out how to convince people to bring on out to a belt or site and siege it. I can't see anyone wanting to do that....

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2014-07-03 00:10:22 UTC
Marsan wrote:
The basic problem isthat it seems like CCP wants to figure out how to convince people to bring on out to a belt or site and siege it. I can't see anyone wanting to do that....

It will have to have a lot of incentives to achieve this. Capital ships and belts don't generally mix. I look forward to seeing their approach to the issue.

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2014-07-03 00:35:44 UTC
Galphii wrote:
Marsan wrote:

It will have to have a lot of incentives to achieve this. Capital ships and belts don't generally mix. I look forward to seeing their approach to the issue.

Rorq Overhaul coming in 2064, 40 years after EVE goes offline, 39 years after CCP closes down, 15 years after Iceland's volcano and icebergs go nuts. CCP Rise wakes up in his office chair, a tired old man, to remember he was supposed to do something today. Today being 40 years ago, but old age does things with time, Rise doesnt realize the game hes been forgetting and working on of 40 years doesnt exist anymore. He brings up the game files, and finally decides, the rorq will be removed from EVE for having no prospects in any situation of seeing use.

Then he retires and lives off his retirement accumulated while working his last 39 years for CCP-Sony.
Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#7 - 2014-07-03 09:07:43 UTC
This is something that they do really need to sort. Currently, as has already been stated in this and other threads, nobody in their right mind would seige a Rorqual outside of a POS shield.

So, in order to make the Rorqual useful and worth it's massive price tag, how about this for a start:

1) Make the mining boost bonus effective whether it's seiged or not

2) Keep the ore compression when seiged

3) Add manufacturing as an option when the Rorqual is seiged with either a build time reduction or a materials reduction (not sure which is best from a balance point of view)

4) Add a 100% mining amount for mining drones role bonus

5) Add a 100% mining drone control range role bonus

This would allow it to seige inside a POS shield for manufacturing and ore compression but also head to a mining site/asteroid belt for fleet support. It could actually mine itself using drones, support the fleet with remote reps, filled jetcan collection and rat extermination using drones. It would have the range to warp somewhere a long way from the standard warp in point so it could stay aligned ready to warp out giving it some level of protection meaning people would actually use it at a belt rather than just keeping their very expensive ship within a POS shield.

There may well be reasons why some of those bonuses aren't needed or are over-powered as this was just off the top of my head without checking the numbers but I think it could make it a viagble and usable ship.
Lilith Shea
Multiplex Gaming
The Bastion
#8 - 2014-07-03 13:49:38 UTC
Make it immune to warp inhibiting effects, they're still slow as hell so still very poppable but for pro-active miners its an acceptable risk to have one out in a belt.

This way you can still lose them, but you also want to have them out in a belt being useful. But if you get dropped on you can still escape if you were aligned... but if not you die and learn to mine properly. Or even if you are aligned a large enough fleet can still get you. This gives the miner a chance to survive at least out in the fields.... problem solved
Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2014-07-03 20:46:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Mole Guy
we had a big rorqual discussion last year.

first, the idea of sieging in a belt just to mine is a flat nope, no way.
carriers siege to triage. they dont siege to rat.

bonuses and siege should be separated. i think a stripper in the high slot with a 200% bonus would be ideal.
give it 5x (something) range to match the scanner and targeting range. it has infinitely more power than a hulk, it should be able to drive the stripper like crazy. or just make a capital strip miner with those kinds of abilities.
it should mine the same as an unbonused hulk.

allowing it to run other jobs would be great. it IS an industrial as mentioned.

to me, we should get rid of the siege mode. let it do its thing. refund all those skill point.
it could come to the field, give capital reps to the miners under attack from rats or small pirates, if it needs too, jump to safety as would a carrier or dread. it could also mine, so the miner who gives up his mining ship to boost wouldnt lose anything.

we also discussed a large clone bay.

here is a huge problem with it. if we clone jump to the rorqual, we have to stay in that clone 24 or so hours. so, im ratting and they call for an alliance op. i jump over and lose my implant. when we are finished, i am in a jc for the rest of the day.

here is an idea. just like the blops and a titan, make it be able to bridge miners to a cyno. industrial ships only.
i can bring out the rorqual, open a cyno and a mining fleet jump to system i wanna mine without having to travel 10 jumps through low sec or null.

give it a much large hangar bay. if its only allowed to carry mining ships, then give it like 2.5M or more so a fleet of hulks can fit in it. its a nice attempt at a cap ship. but sitting it in a pos to run links is inefficient when u can throw a fleet invite up for any alliance member and run an orca in the pos all day long for free. you can also bring an orca to the belt and give links while having an mtu out without the need for heavy water or being burdened by a 5 minute death timer.

INCREASE THE JUMP RANGE. give it a small bonus like jf get nuff said.

the drone bonus is great, i love the 2x damage. but give it a bonus like carriers to like 200% drone control range. we warp to a belt, drop sentries, warp to pos, then back to belt 100k away to if attacked, the sentries will be at optimal. jump and abandon if need be.
or give it a 20% to optimal range bonus per level like the damage bonus. that way we can protect miners across the belt.
also, give it a higher bandwidth so it can launch 5 attack drones, or +1 per level of mining drones. so 5 sentries for defense or 10 mining drones. how about some capital mining drones (think fighters and bombers for other moms).

if we cant get rid of siege, drop the siege cycle on the rorqual to that of the marauder now. i would bring a rorqual to the belt if the siege cycle was only 1 minute. that would allow me time to watch intel channel, unsiege and jump if baddies come in.
it cant compete with carriers or dreads, so why siege as long as them? it doesnt do the same function.

let it siege to compress. let is siege to boost. keep it close to the way it is and folks would use it a little more if it had a 1 minute timer. add some of these ideas below, and i bet u youll see tons of them in belts.

here are just some off the top of my head:

increased jump range (jesus christ, i cant even jump away from one of my farts)
larger clone bay
larger industrial ship hangar (2.5M or something)
20% increased range/damage on drones
200% drone control range (no fighters of course)
can fit 1 capital strip miner
(plus normal bonuses)
drop siege cycle timer to 1 minute
jump bridge capable for industrial ships only
+1 mining drone per level
capital mining drones perhaps?

its going to take a ship like this to get my in a belt. other wise, all you're going to get are ganker tears about me staying in the pos.

ORE faction implant boosts shield and mining would be nice too.

capital strip miner mines the same as 3 t1 strip miners not to be confused with the modulated. modulated are for barges and exhumers.
i would be happy with just the t1 version and maybe a named one some day you get from ORE/CONCORD or something.

this is my idea of a rorqual.
maybe kick the idea around of refining, but i dont see it as a mobile refinery.
another thing, the orca could use the capital strip miner and not have to change another thing on it to make me happy. i would have it in the belt beside my other miners cutting AND storing rock...
Lilith Shea
Multiplex Gaming
The Bastion
#10 - 2014-07-03 21:16:14 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:
we had a big rorqual discussion last year.

larger clone bay
(plus normal bonuses)

its going to take a ship like this to get my in a belt. other wise, all you're going to get are ganker tears about me staying in the pos.

ORE faction implant boosts shield and mining would be nice too.

capital strip miner mines the same as 3 t1 strip miners not to be confused with the modulated. modulated are for barges and exhumers.
i would be happy with just the t1 version and maybe a named one some day you get from ORE/CONCORD or something.

this is my idea of a rorqual.
maybe kick the idea around of refining, but i dont see it as a mobile refinery.
another thing, the orca could use the capital strip miner and not have to change another thing on it to make me happy. i would have it in the belt beside my other miners cutting AND storing rock...

See this is exactly what I was talking about. A few things to make it more attractive to fly, but mainly something that will allow the pilot to generate income instead of just afk boosting 24/7 in s POS. Of course these changes could apply to an Orca as well but no where near the level because Orcas are much more useful in other applications. With the recent changed to Rorqual it's become significantly less useful.

I really like the idea of a mining ship only hangar, specialized jumps for miners only would be nice (Black Mining Ops) and more carrier-like drone options. For mining purposes a capital strip miner would be perfect, again nothing too OP just enough to temp pilots to risk the ship out in the fields. Bringing the siege timer down from 5 minutes and giving the ship siege mode only abilities still lets people have the flare.

This would bring in a ship that, mining wise, could produce about as much as a hulk but with such a coolness factor that you can't resist getting one. It would be the perfect ship to round out and clean up the clunky mining op. By having a fleet of 10 mining drones you could improve the efficiency of mining ops by cleaning up the trash once a roid gets sub-cycle. And the tiericide problem wouldn't get worse because this isn't a newer bigger, more hungry ship... its just a more useful compliment to a miner vs an orca & freighter.

Referring to the entire post, not just the summary... but would have made my post too long Cool
Deornoth Drake
Vandeo
#11 - 2014-07-03 21:38:57 UTC
some Rorqual ideas ...

---

Mobile (Ninja?) mining
1) drop the restriction of the ship maintenance array (it sucks to be able to only carry industrial ships as you will see later)
2) Introduce an Industrial Jump Portal Generator I (which allows to to bridge industrial ships)

This way you could place some defence ships in the ship maintenance array, get a cyno ship in place and ninja mine somewhere. In case of troubles the miners could board the defence ships to defend the rorqual. Once the mining operation is over they could bridge back out.

---
Industrial flavour
1) Drop the sieging part
2) Industrial reconfiguration skill grants
Level 1: Ore compression (instant), production (T1 non-captial modules)
Level 2: production (T1 frigates & destroyer), production (T2 non-capital modules)
Level 3: production (T2 frigates & destroyer), production (T1 cruisers & battlecruisers)
Level 4: production (T2 cruisers & battlecruisers), production (T1 battleships)
Level 5: production (T2 battleships)

Maybe SOE or SoCT would be interested to build a science variant of the rorqual

The ship has to be anchored and receives the same handling as mobile depots with an additional warp core boost, i.e. the minute after unanchoring, nobody can stop you from warping (besides bumping) ... maybe add 10 seconds or so jump drive boost ... or something like that, so that you have a chance to get the ship save
Lilith Shea
Multiplex Gaming
The Bastion
#12 - 2014-07-03 21:49:59 UTC
Deornoth Drake wrote:
some Rorqual ideas ...

---

Mobile (Ninja?) mining
1) drop the restriction of the ship maintenance array (it sucks to be able to only carry industrial ships as you will see later)
2) Introduce an Industrial Jump Portal Generator I (which allows to to bridge industrial ships)

This way you could place some defence ships in the ship maintenance array, get a cyno ship in place and ninja mine somewhere. In case of troubles the miners could board the defence ships to defend the rorqual. Once the mining operation is over they could bridge back out.

---
Industrial flavour
1) Drop the sieging part
2) Industrial reconfiguration skill grants
Level 1: Ore compression (instant), production (T1 non-captial modules)
Level 2: production (T1 frigates & destroyer), production (T2 non-capital modules)
Level 3: production (T2 frigates & destroyer), production (T1 cruisers & battlecruisers)
Level 4: production (T2 cruisers & battlecruisers), production (T1 battleships)
Level 5: production (T2 battleships)

Maybe SOE or SoCT would be interested to build a science variant of the rorqual

The ship has to be anchored and receives the same handling as mobile depots with an additional warp core boost, i.e. the minute after unanchoring, nobody can stop you from warping (besides bumping) ... maybe add 10 seconds or so jump drive boost ... or something like that, so that you have a chance to get the ship save

Your jump portal generator makes much more sense and would be a better option for mining ops :) I think the siege mode is what really makes a pilot want to have a Rorqual over just an Orca... it's the coolness factor. I know plenty of people that PVP in less than optimal ships because they are cooler to look at. Besides with the coming changes to manufacturing it would be pointless to have a destroyable factory in the depths of low/null/WH when you can manufacture at any high sec station.
Iain Cariaba
#13 - 2014-07-03 22:03:40 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:
larger clone bay
(plus normal bonuses)

These are good ideas that will likely get more people into Rorquals. I was well on my way to buying one before the changes were announced, but now I have this useless Industrial Configuration skillbook that I'm not sure I'll ever use unless the rorqual gets some serious love from CCP.
Strot Harn
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-07-03 22:12:40 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:

here is an idea. just like the blops and a titan, make it be able to bridge miners to a cyno. industrial ships only.
i can bring out the rorqual, open a cyno and a mining fleet jump to system i wanna mine without having to travel 10 jumps through low sec or null.

+1 That's a great suggestion.

Mole Guy wrote:
INCREASE THE JUMP RANGE. give it a small bonus like jf get nuff said.

Another gem.

Mole Guy wrote:
i would bring a rorqual to the belt if the siege cycle was only 1 minute. that would allow me time to watch intel channel, unsiege and jump if baddies come in.
it cant compete with carriers or dreads, so why siege as long as them? it doesnt do the same function.

... and now it's belt worthy.
Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2014-07-03 23:13:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Mole Guy
honestly, i dont know why they cannot jump through gates like JF do. the most dps you can get out of them is 1k with good drone skills. hell, my moderately built rattlesnake was pushing 1800. the vindi can push 2200... the rorqual cannot cant lay siege to stations like the dreads do. if it does attack, concord will rip it a new ass..it isnt a dread. give it the ability to travel through gates like JF. lets see these big ships in high sec. a pair of logi can perma rep WAY more than a rorqual which has limited cap.
no cynos of course...but this is NOT a warship. it should not be limited too low sec and below.

besides, the thing ccp feared the most about letting capitals in high sec has already happened every day/year for years now. burn jita. high sec gankers, needless and senseless killing of towers or people.
bring the rorqual in. watch all the war decks happen. in its current state, its nothing more than a semi functioning jump freighter.

allow the rorqual in high sec, just like JF are and orca are.

give it the same penalties as a jf.
even if the price goes up another 500M or so. i wouldnt care...

or limit it to .5 and below.
there are a lot of good belts we could mine in .5 systems. then compress (which wll be done anywhere now) and jump back to your cap assembly area...
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#16 - 2014-07-04 02:22:55 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:
honestly, i dont know why they cannot jump through gates like JF do. the most dps you can get out of them is 1k with good drone skills. hell, my moderately built rattlesnake was pushing 1800. the vindi can push 2200... the rorqual cannot cant lay siege to stations like the dreads do. if it does attack, concord will rip it a new ass..it isnt a dread. give it the ability to travel through gates like JF. lets see these big ships in high sec. a pair of logi can perma rep WAY more than a rorqual which has limited cap.
no cynos of course...but this is NOT a warship. it should not be limited too low sec and below.

besides, the thing ccp feared the most about letting capitals in high sec has already happened every day/year for years now. burn jita. high sec gankers, needless and senseless killing of towers or people.
bring the rorqual in. watch all the war decks happen. in its current state, its nothing more than a semi functioning jump freighter.

there are a lot of good belts we could mine in .5 systems. then compress (which wll be done anywhere now) and jump back to your cap assembly area...

It's not any one aspect that keeps the rorqual (and capitals) out of highsec. It's a combination of all the things it can do. It is very similar to a carrier and the same reasons it is not allowed apply to carriers.
Mole Guy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2014-07-04 05:58:57 UTC
Rowells wrote:
Mole Guy wrote:

It's not any one aspect that keeps the rorqual (and capitals) out of highsec. It's a combination of all the things it can do. It is very similar to a carrier and the same reasons it is not allowed apply to carriers.

carriers can assign fighters that follow people into warp. they can triage and super rep everything in sight.
the rorqual goes into siege and people cut rock a little better.

you cannot compare the 3. seriously, its a glorified jf at this point, and restricting it to .5 and lower wouldnt change a thing. just like the black ops, no cyno in high sec.
this feature would make the rorqual unique. would make it useful as hell. instead of sinking a pos in high sec to compress and use the rorqual to move it, we could fly the rorqual into .5, pick up the ore and compress on sight.

we all know with high sec gankers, nothing is safe.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#18 - 2014-07-04 06:06:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Rowells
Mole Guy wrote:
Rowells wrote:
Mole Guy wrote:

carriers can assign fighters that follow people into warp. they can triage and super rep everything in sight.
the rorqual goes into siege and people cut rock a little better.

you cannot compare the 3. seriously, its a glorified jf at this point, and restricting it to .5 and lower wouldnt change a thing. just like the black ops, no cyno in high sec.
this feature would make the rorqual unique. would make it useful as hell. instead of sinking a pos in high sec to compress and use the rorqual to move it, we could fly the rorqual into .5, pick up the ore and compress on sight.

we all know with high sec gankers, nothing is safe.

rorquals can fit capital modules, which are very powerful relative to subcaps. It wouldn't be too difficult to scrounge up a few rorqs and camp a gate or station with impunity. Even a hostile rorqual gang may find it difficult to break your tank. The only difference betweena carrier and rorquals combat abilities is slightly less average tank (its strongest EHP being hull tanked) and fighters. and even if they are worse than carriers in both cost and overall tank, they still greatly outclass the abilities of any sub cap with possible exclusions of marauders, but even then marauders have more drawbacks in that situation than a rorqual.

e: and in regards to the gankers, yes it is possible to gank a rorqual. But if you ran the numbers on how many people it takes to kill a single one hoping it doesnt have support from anything, they get pretty insane. This is why people were making a big stink about JF getting this huge buff in tank with lowslots added.
Paynus Maiassus
Capital Munitions
Capital Interstellar Group
#19 - 2014-07-04 06:56:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Paynus Maiassus
Do NOT allow the Rorqual in high sec. The concept of the ship is a deep space industrial base. Making it a high sec ship runs completely contrary to that. Plus tramples on the Orca.

The primary problem with the Rorqual is that it is supposed to be a deep space base, but it needs a POS to operate. I suggest that we keep the siege mode. However, when in siege, the Rorqual gets POS bubble. it becomes a POS. It should have a large number of hit points and then go into reinforced, however, the reinforcement should be like a mobile depot's reinforced mode. Where the mobile depot can just be scooped up and the reinforcement is over, the Rorqual can just shut off its siege and end the reinforcement. So basically, the Rorqual gets an invulnerability bubble. Now only industrial ships can enter the bubble. And from within the bubble, only the Rorqual can lock targets and send drones out, tractor cans, etc. Any other ships hiding in the bubble can't lock targets or tractor or anything. Just like being in a POS. Also, give the deactivation of the siege/POS a 30 second 'cool down' where the ship can still align and warp out while being invulnerable.

Yes, allow the Rorqual to bridge indy ships to cynos.

Also, update the clone vat bay (for both Rorqual and Titans) so that you are not required to create a new clone to deposit your clone in the Rorqual. Just have an option to deposit clone, which when selected, will give you the option to jump into one of your other clones and simultaneously store your clone in the Rorqual while jumping to another of your clones. So the Rorqual can be used to create clones, but also can be a storage place for pilots that have already maxed out their clones allowed by their level of infomorph psychology.

These changes will make the Rorqual a ship that can be used in belts as a safe haven for barges as well as make it a deep deployment center for industrial ops.

The idea for giving the Rorqual manufacturing capability is creative and fits the concept, but would be somewhat superfluous and not really necessary to make it a good ship. Also would probably take a lot of code. I vote no on that one.

If the changes I recommend are made, then there will be such a thing a low sec mining. It would vastly tip the risk/reward toward the miner and away from the miner hunter. However, this is really what is needed to allow smaller corps to collect ore in low sec and the more active areas of null.
Petrified
Old and Petrified Syndication
SONS of BANE
#20 - 2014-07-04 08:54:23 UTC
Mole Guy wrote:

increased jump range (i cant even jump away from one of my farts)
larger clone bay
(plus normal bonuses)

This is a great thread. While I currently do not own a Rorqual, the lack of many of the requested features mentioned in this thread are why I do not own one. Limited range, suicidal when used outside a POS, agonizingly long siege (I've flown dreads so I know for comparison), and did I mention suicidal outside a POS? While I can appreciate the gate restriction to keep them out of High Sec, I am disturbed by how unwieldly they truly are. Great for ore compression. Great for Boosts. In the current form all it takes to ruin a a mining op with a Rorqual sitting in the belt is one interceptor with a cyno (but that is another discussion).

Perhaps a module which can be used only in siege mode that dampens both regular and covert cynos in a 250km range...

Cloaking is the closest thing to a "Pause Game" button one can get while in space.

Support better localization for the Japanese Community.

12Next page