These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Third Party Developer Documentation

First post
Author
CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2014-05-24 11:18:44 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Logibro
Hey guys,

Documentation. It's a really fun thing isn't it? A few days ago while discussing documentation for the EVE SSO (which even though the SSO trial will be limited documentation will be public) we knew we wanted it to be public. The problem was where to put it. The EVElopedia section for third party devs wasn't just lacking information, it had a lot of wrong information. Which is even worse.

The decision was made to nuke the existing pages and start from scratch. This gives us the opportunity to not just fix the documentation but organize it in a better way.

This effort is under way now and you can see the basics of it here: https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Third_Party_Developers

This is something that will go a lot better and quicker with help from you guys, but at the very least I want you all to know whats going on.

Our goal is to organize information in a more structured way than before. We will see how this goes... maybe it is a horrible plan and all things will fail terribly but hey should be an interesting experience none the less.

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
Greater D.U.S.K. Coalition
#2 - 2014-05-24 11:20:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
Template work. Is the top fine or do you want a right justified window if so ill grab the coding from some where else.

I like the thin skinny look my self with more spacing if that the issue.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Salpun
#3 - 2014-05-24 11:40:48 UTC
Right justified at the top would maybe work better.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2014-05-24 11:48:43 UTC
I was thinking that and really like it but was worried about how big it might become... :(

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

Salpun
#5 - 2014-05-24 11:49:51 UTC
CCP FoxFour wrote:
I was thinking that and really like it but was worried about how big it might become... :(

how many more main pages are you thinking of adding

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 - 2014-05-24 11:58:22 UTC
Added image server and DLA but also removed the library links. I don't think we have enough libraries for them to need their own page.

Salpun
#7 - 2014-05-24 12:01:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
what category are we using for these pages besides Technical

What about the site advertizement pages that where nuked how do you want to address that wiki use case.

Ad a dev supervised area set policy so those that work the Wiki users can conform to the norm you want.

Will we be getting a new static data import soon?

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2014-05-24 12:11:47 UTC
Salpun wrote:

What about the site advertizement pages that where nuked how do you want to address that wiki use case.

Ad a dev supervised area set policy so those that work the Wiki users can conform to the norm you want.

Not sure about either yet. Especially on the categories thing, not really a huge fan of categories myself. I much prefer more structured organization. Thats why I created the third party dev template.

As for the advertisement area I will look into that after getting this first stuff sorted out more clearly. Need to do more experimentation first before moving on. :)

Salpun
#9 - 2014-05-24 12:16:46 UTC
CCP FoxFour wrote:
Salpun wrote:

Not sure about either yet. Especially on the categories thing, not really a huge fan of categories myself. I much prefer more structured organization. Thats why I created the third party dev template.

As for the advertisement area I will look into that after getting this first stuff sorted out more clearly. Need to do more experimentation first before moving on. :)

Main thing is focus on policy and facts. I or other wiki warriors can standardize the pages once you decide on the format.

Salpun
#10 - 2014-05-24 12:49:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
Not seeing anything in the sidebar template page after the rewrite.

White lol that looks bad.

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#11 - 2014-05-24 13:44:21 UTC
Salpun wrote:

Yea I was playing around with some templates while thinking about how I wanted to organize stuff. I got a phone call and had to run though so it's a bit broken. >.<

I should hopefully be back tonight to continue some of this.

Salpun
#12 - 2014-05-24 13:47:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
CCP FoxFour wrote:
Salpun wrote:

Yea I was playing around with some templates while thinking about how I wanted to organize stuff. I got a phone call and had to run though so it's a bit broken. >.<

I should hopefully be back tonight to continue some of this.

The if then statement list is so long it breaks the text limit I think. will test some do not show text statements to see if that is the case. Removed the white already.

Edit and added an example side bar to the page.

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#13 - 2014-05-24 16:29:14 UTC
awesome!

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

ItsmeHcK1
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#14 - 2014-05-24 21:57:33 UTC
A good CCP-side documentation is long overdue.
I'll throw some pages in as I go along.
Equto
Imperium Technologies
Hooligans.
#15 - 2014-05-25 03:24:48 UTC
Quote:
Have some documentation together internally, will copy and paste it here in a few days. ~CCP SocksFour

If this doesn't come true can I hold you to it ?

Dei
Khanid Brotherhood
#16 - 2014-05-25 14:56:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Dei
Can I ask how this is generated (or rather how it will be generated)? I'm hoping that if you add a new field to an API call someone won't have to update the relevant page? Or if a type is changed, it'll automatically update the relevant pages?

I think a partially automatic wiki would be far better than a rewrite and a promise to keep it up to date.
Salpun
#17 - 2014-05-25 15:02:14 UTC
Dei wrote:
Can I ask how this is generated (or rather how it will be generated)? I'm hoping that if you add a new field to an API call someone won't have to update the relevant page? Or if a type is changed, it'll automatically update the relevant pages?

I think a partially automatic wiki would be far better than a rewrite and a promise to keep it up to date.

Unless they are going to update the structure of the wiki I don't think that is possible. Every update of Item database leaves dead links and no info on the page.

The same for the Dev pages they get locked down and only ISD can change them.

The good thing is that with crest and API under one person they can keep it or a forum thread updated and as long as the forum thread is correct all the information will be easily accessible.

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#18 - 2014-05-25 17:14:48 UTC
Dei wrote:

This will all have to be done manually. It's **** but the EVE API is written in a funky way. For CREST as well things will have to be manual for now, we have a way to auto generate them but not really in a format for a Wiki.

Kale Freeman
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2014-05-26 08:05:27 UTC
Auto-generate it and make it available for download somewhere. Link to the download from a manually maintained wiki page.

I will deal with whatever format your auto generated documentation comes out in. Just keep it up-to-date, accurate and complete. I would guess that the people who are looking for the API documentation would value up-to-date, accurate and complete much higher than "on the wiki". I might be wrong.
CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#20 - 2014-06-01 20:32:01 UTC
Continuing my efforts on the documentation. Got some getting started examples done for the EVE API and setup a page for SDE common queries.

Will continuing poking it over time. Thanks to everyone who has been helping so far. :D

12Next page