These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

CCP, release subscription number.

First post First post
Author
Sato Page
Ashfell Celestial Equilibrium
Ashfell Federation
#1 - 2014-05-10 14:27:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Sato Page
http://nerdsoliloquy.blogspot.co.nz/2014/05/eve-online-may-have-experienced-its.html

We would love to know the subscription number of EvE after the CSM9 election. I could see no reason for CCP to withhold this information from its players. I'm sure CCP just over looked this "minor" detail while compiling this year's election report.

So yeah...... CCP, if you could just go ahead and tell us the number..... That would be great.... Thanks.

Edit1: tl;dr: Until CSM8 CCP releases the number players who participated in the election as well as the total number of subscription on TQ. This year, for the first time, CCP only released the participation number but not the total number of subscription.

Dinsdale Pirannha for [u]CEO [/u]of [u]CCP[/u]

Joshua Foiritain
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#2 - 2014-05-10 14:33:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Joshua Foiritain
Or the more likely option is that subscriber numbers are still going up but even less people give a **** about the CSM then ever before?

The Coreli Corporation is recruiting.

Meiyang Lee
Game Instrument Applications
#3 - 2014-05-10 14:35:01 UTC
Sato Page wrote:
http://nerdsoliloquy.blogspot.co.nz/2014/05/eve-online-may-have-experienced-its.html

We would love to know the subscription number of EvE after the CSM9 election. I could see no reason for CCP to withhold this information from its players. I'm sure CCP just over looked this "minor" detail while compiling this year's election report.

So yeah...... CCP, if you could just go ahead and tell us the number..... That would be great.... Thanks.

You can check CCPs financial report, the number should be in there if I recall correctly.
Sato Page
Ashfell Federation
#4 - 2014-05-10 14:37:37 UTC
Joshua Foiritain wrote:
Or the more likely option is that subscriber numbers are still going up but even less people give a **** about the CSM then before?

In this case, CCP should release the number. Just to kill rumour of this kind.

Proletariat Tingtango
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2014-05-10 14:40:21 UTC
Do you know what trade secrets are, OP?
Sato Page
Ashfell Federation
#6 - 2014-05-10 14:45:24 UTC
Proletariat Tingtango wrote:

Yes I do, random goon. This information wasn't part of your "trade secrets" for the first 9 years of eve. So what's so secret about the sub number of 2013?

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#7 - 2014-05-10 14:47:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Brooks Puuntai

Sub numbers are usually a marketing asset not a trade secret. The only time you classify them as a trade secret is if they are bad.

E: Though the blog is terrible, since CSM voting is a horrible metric to use.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#8 - 2014-05-10 14:47:48 UTC
Sato Page wrote:
Joshua Foiritain wrote:
Or the more likely option is that subscriber numbers are still going up but even less people give a **** about the CSM then before?

Yup....

The employee who did all the analysis in the blog clearly had the raw number available, but chose not to reveal it.
So really only a couple potential reasons why it was not revealed.

1. CCP is going in a new direction and not releasing sub numbers anymore, good or bad. But we have seen zero comments from management as to why that new direction.
2. It was an accidental omission.

Reason #2 is utterly implausible, and reason #1, well, why would they suddenly change?

And best thing, CCP is doubling down in steering the game in the direction that created this very likely subscription drop.
An enormously bad business decision.
Cpt Swagg
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2014-05-10 14:54:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Cpt Swagg
You know that's all bull right?
Alts voting on the csm count as subscribers.
There's just so much volatility in the guessing from the csm voting results, it's totally pointless to go that way.

If you want to know exactly how many subscribers including alts, go to Iceland and count the names on the monument.

That's how close you can get to a real number.
Then divide that by 3 and have a realistic quantity of subscribers, not including alts.
Proletariat Tingtango
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2014-05-10 15:10:19 UTC
Sato Page wrote:

Yes I do, random goon. This information wasn't part of your "trade secrets" for the first 9 years of eve. So what's so secret about the sub number of 2013?

They still don't have to disclose them to you or anybody for that matter. There are plenty of excuses, and you've got no reason to know them except for your own baseless and worthless speculation.
Bernie Nator
Allspark Industries
Transformographagizers
#11 - 2014-05-10 15:10:19 UTC
Sato Page wrote:
Joshua Foiritain wrote:

You mean the one you just started?
IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#12 - 2014-05-10 15:16:44 UTC
The number is probably down and that's why they're keeping it a secret but so what...

CCP releases it and all the sudden 100 posts with the topic "I told you this would happen when CCP nerfed sentry drones" appear.

In actuality it's probably down because of the economy. I'm not sure about the rest of the world but in the USA it's been on a downhill slide for the past few years. Most people cut stuff like video games and entertainment first.
Falin Whalen
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2014-05-10 15:17:02 UTC
Ground floor of another Eve is dying thread.Roll

"it's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves." The Trial - Franz Kafka 

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#14 - 2014-05-10 15:20:35 UTC
Joshua Foiritain wrote:
Or the more likely option is that subscriber numbers are still going up but even less people give a **** about the CSM then ever before?

PCU counts are definitely down on Tranquality (according to eve-offline), we've dipped to 2011 levels, I would expect that count to spike a bit around the next expansion as it usually does, it already appears to be trending back upwards. New eggs also seem to be back to trending upwards. Historically PCU is usually down for the few months leading up to an expansion. The Chinese server Serenity on the other hand has seen PCU counts trending steadily upwards since the beginning of the year, and their subs definitely count.

You could draw the conclusion the low PCU count on Tranq means overall subs have also been down, which could potentially affect voting turnout.

Of course only CCP knows for sure, but I would suspect that if sub numbers are down significantly, no one at CCP is going to be rushing to publish that info given the amount of other bad news they have had to deal with recently.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Natassia Krasnoo
R3D SHIFT
#15 - 2014-05-10 15:24:06 UTC
No wait! Stand back civilian onlookers...I've got this one!

Obligatory EVE is dying post.

It's safe now my fellow forumites, return to your usuall mundane posting. Nothing to see here.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#16 - 2014-05-10 15:29:01 UTC
IIshira wrote:

In actuality it's probably down because of the economy. I'm not sure about the rest of the world but in the USA it's been on a downhill slide for the past few years. Most people cut stuff like video games and entertainment first.

Actually gaming and home entertainment usually stay steady if not increase during a bad economy. Since people will cut back on more expensive forms of entertainment like going out, movies, dinners etc and stick to things like Netflix, Hulu, MMOs, etc which is generally cheaper in the long run(1 month for most MMOs costs less than a single night out). Not to mention Eve has a system that actually allows people to play to pay, which can negate the prioritizing income.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#17 - 2014-05-10 15:31:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Cygnet Lythanea
Meiyang Lee wrote:

You can check CCPs financial report, the number should be in there if I recall correctly.

No, it doesn't, but it does give you an over all income from games and I believe it breaks it down by game. Logically if that number for Eve decreases, subscriptions/plex sales would be down.

Bernie Nator wrote:

You mean the one you just started?

They're hardly the only ones to pick up on this.
Darth Kilth
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2014-05-10 15:42:16 UTC
The ammount of people voting in the elections in the real world goes up and down as well, doesn't mean a ton of people suddenly died or left the country if the numbers dropped.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2014-05-10 15:43:08 UTC
I can see how the tutorials and missions can frustrate newcomers. I think that having tutorial videos outside of EVE for complex, multidiscipline activities like PVP is great and very helpful. But when YouTube videos are the *only* source of information about what you do with all the building blocks of PI, or how to do explo correctly even for a starter mission I think there's something fundamental missing in "New Player Experience".

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#20 - 2014-05-10 15:47:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Cygnet Lythanea
Darth Kilth wrote:
The ammount of people voting in the elections in the real world goes up and down as well, doesn't mean a ton of people suddenly died or left the country if the numbers dropped.

As they point out, it's not 'just' that the votes decreased. In and of itself that's interesting, but not alarming. Taken as part of the bigger picture though (concurrency, layoffs, game cancellations, lots of announcements of staff jumping ship to other companies) it's somewhat more concerning. CCP did not cancel WoD, as an example, despite the very small actual profit they made in last years financials.
123Next pageLast page