These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Aurora Arcology Crisis: Part 2: Minmatar Divided

Author
Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#1 - 2014-05-04 09:12:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Jandice Ymladris
As it turns out, not everythings solved yet. (OOC: for background on the current crisis, you can check the first page: warning long! Part 2 starts at page 2, first post if you are not interested)

After the riots aboard the Arcology, many came forth to assist me in resolving the situation. The advice helped greatly to avoid tensions in the future and eliminate errors in management of the Arcology.

However, negotiations to calm down the Amarr/Minmatar relations have only been a partial succes.
The amarr side, who had initiated the riots and thereby caused the subsequent issues following it, did take their responsability and obeyed the recruitment stop for the most part. In addition, they even agreed to reduce the Kameira population throughn supporting the PIE Kameira program, on condition that the Minmatar side stick to the rules as well.

And there's the issue... The minmatar hardliners continued recruiting en masse, ignoring the recruitmentstop. So far all these militia recruits have been denied acces to the Arcology, but it's suspected that they've begun recruiting clandestinely. If nothing's done, this could lead to a serious and violent escalation....

Current options that are being looked into is hiring an outside security force to identify & deal with the rebellious ringleaders. Do note, not all minmatar support this militarisation, just the hardliners, believing in a Shakor-style approach to problems.

(below is part 1, that, complete with allr esponses on page 1 is background for part 2)

Original title: Calling assistance of Amarr & Minmatar cultural experts to reduce tensions.

As some of you know, I run the Aurora Arcology Project, to house refugees & rescuees from across to cluster, allowing them to pick up their lives again.
This doesnt go easy, but so far it has worked, with bumps along the road.

However, as of recent, the situation between the Amarr and Minmatar population aboard the Arcology station has grown extremely tense, risking riots, a more detailed explanation on the reasons can be found here: Dispute escalates into riot! Aurora Council fails to defuse the Amarr/Minmatar tensions!
The short form is: A large deployment of Kameiras aboard the Aurora Arcology has caused an escalation in the buildup of private forces under Amarr & Minmatar custody, each side accusing the other of an arms race. Refusal of the Kameira detachment was not an option as it was approved by a Tash Murkon representative and would have insulted them if refused.

Currently a full recruitstop is in effect for both sides, but this is obviously only a short term solution and does not take away the root of the cause.

I came to the Summit for advice, seeking knowledge of cultural festivities or other options to lower tensions between the two sides. Do note, I do not seek to eliminate the hostility between both, as that is an impossible task due to the two races their history.
To explain, they normally inhabit their own districts, keeping the mixing to a minimum, but right now tensions are so high that both accuse the other of provoking them.

I hoped to gain some advice or insight in the Amarr & Minmatar mindsets to assist in lowering tensions, either through festivities, actions or other options.

(OOC explanation/analysis in this thread, for people interested how this story came to be: OOC explanation for the Advice Thread in summit.

Providing a new home for refugees in the Aurora Arcology

N'maro Makari
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#2 - 2014-05-04 11:21:27 UTC  |  Edited by: N'maro Makari
Speaking broadly from a sociological perspective, Kameira are an open wound for Matari. It's the combined pain of hating those that should be your own people and being reminded of the degradation of slavery.

If you want the easy way, separate the Kameira from the rest of the population. It won't solve the problem, but it should de-escalate the situation.

An actual solution will take time and may not even be possible. Joint cultural festivities are not an option when tempers are so high, separate festivities may only encourage further strife, depending on a few other factors.

**Vherokior **

Nauplius
Hoi Andrapodistai
#3 - 2014-05-04 14:30:12 UTC
The wrath of God abides upon you and your colonists. For not only have you failed to slaughter the Minmatar whom God has given over to destruction, but you have placed the souls of the Amarr colonists at risk by teaching them peace and cooperation with those whom God has given over to destruction.

But there is yet hope. Make a blooding of the Minmatar Freedom Fighters. Sacrifice them unto a holy and righteous God. Then, arm your Amarr colonists. Teach them to fight; teach them to kill; teach them that God has given the Minmatar over to destruction, and they are to be an instrument of God and will wash away their sins in the blood of God's enemies and prove themselves worth of God's blessing. Then, set loose the Amarr colonists upon the Minmatar colonists. Let your Arcology be spattered with blood, baptized in blood. Amen. Amarr Victor.
Tahrmal Nalthkh
Disciples of Ston
#4 - 2014-05-04 17:52:13 UTC
Ms. Ymladris,

The DSTON Development Office has convened a special session to ask how we might understand what has happened in your situation, how we might help if possible, etc. We are at your disposal though we do not yet know what form that help might take. I hope to be in touch with you sometime soon.

Tahrmal

Dr. Tahrmal Nalthkh CEO, DSTON Rescue Pilot

Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
Jayai Syndicate
#5 - 2014-05-04 18:03:00 UTC
Ymladris if you want to solve your problem then the summit is the last place where you should look for answers. Two so-called experts already gave excellent answers and more such suggestions will follow from other experts.

Or maybe this is nothing more than PR campaign for Aurora Arcology, then I wish you best of luck and more superb suggestions from cultural experts.

N'maro Makari wrote:
Speaking broadly from a sociological perspective, Kameira are an open wound for Matari. It's the combined pain of hating those that should be your own people and being reminded of the degradation of slavery.

Now this is interesting especially the last part, would you be so kind and explain your line of thought some more.
Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#6 - 2014-05-04 18:33:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Jandice Ymladris
I thank all those who have provided their input so far.

N'maro Makari,

Thanks for providing a better insight in how the Minmatar view Kameiras. It gives a better understanding in how we should treat incidents involving them.
For now, we'll follow your advice of assuring the Kameiras stay in the Core Amarr district.
Also a good warning about holding festivities, I didn't see it in that light, glad I asked for advice before further actions.

I am also grateful for your mature response.

Naupilius,

Following your advice would ruin all the hard work people have put into the Aurora Project, so I cannot take this advice serious, especially as almost all Amarr condemn you as a heretic.

Tahrmal,

I'm honored to hear the Ston Disciples want to assist and I'm open to receive help, your organisation has far more experience with situations like this then I do, considering how long the Disciples have endured.
I'll be in touch as soon as we're both able.

Ashlar Vellum,

I'm aware the Summit isn't the most ideal place, but it is a public venue, and through posting here, I hope to attract the attention of helpful experts who could contact me through private means.
I do understand your thought believing this to be a PR move, but in such case, I would rather tote the horn on a succes, rather then what seems to be a looming impending failiure.
I do appreciate the concern shown, and thank you

I like to thank all those who gave their input so far. I thank you for giving new insights.

Lunarisse Aspenstar
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#7 - 2014-05-05 15:22:52 UTC
I would be willing to speak with you privately, Ms. Ymladris.
Diana Kim
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#8 - 2014-05-05 22:55:29 UTC
Kameiras. You just need more Kameiras.
And police force.
Or better, martial law. Light marine on each corner. Reinforcement barracks in each quarter.

Festives is a bad idea, they will get drunk and will do more mess.
Bring order with iron hand, this is the correct solution.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Teinyhr
Ourumur
#9 - 2014-05-05 23:45:13 UTC
Have you simply considered placing them squarely at the opposite sides of the station, and telling them that anyone who starts something will be shot out of the nearest airlock along with their families? That usually works regardless of cultural differences.
Ayallah
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2014-05-06 11:40:06 UTC
Kameira are not slaves.

We are weapons. And It was you who brought weapons to your little controlled world. Would that I allow you to pay the price for what you have done... But I suppose that would harm others more than you. Hubris of those with power often does.

Remove the Kameiras. They will find a way to bring war no matter what you do.
If you need a place for them then give or sell them to me.

After all, I know what they are going through.

Goddess of the IGS

As strength goes.

N'maro Makari
#11 - 2014-05-06 12:52:36 UTC  |  Edited by: N'maro Makari
So I thought a bit more about this and came up with a few suggestions to follow up my original proposal.

1) Restore order. You mentioned that the colony is already divided somewhat physically in terms of each community. Where those sided meet is the flashpoint. In order for anything to progress with minimal damage, the first step is to ensure that law enforcement keeps the belligerents apart. Regular patrols through all sectors and patrol bases along the dividing lines, and police lined up in force between opposing sides in a confrontation. Be sure not to give any indication of favoritism or special treatment. Head off armed confrontation wherever possible, but should a battle break out, do not hesitate to be swift in response. But whatever you do, refrain from building an actual wall or any permanent divide. This creates a siege mentality. Also, throughout the entire process, aim to include members of each community in law enforcement. It will have significant risk to the individuals at first, but will definitely pay off.

2) Identify ringleaders and operators. Humans are not an amorphous mass. They have leaders who co-ordinate and people below them with specific tasks. Identify these individuals, but do not arrest them unless you absolutely have to in order to prevent bloodshed. The priority here is not to treat them as enemy generals to be targeted, but to keep your ear to the ground and prevent an escalation through good intelligence. Whomever they are, they will likely prove instrumental in later steps.

3) Peace by parts. The process will take some time, and the endgame is simple; de-escalation of current tensions and movement to a fair integration to keep the peace. At present, holding of elections or selections for joint institutions is inviting tension. My personal recommendation would be to suspend such institutions for the time being, but I realize this may be unpalatable for moral reasons. Start small. Begin by establishing regular communications with leaders on either side. Make yourself aware of their concerns, objectives and strategies. Aim to get a ceasefire, temporary or permanent. In the meantime, create opportunities for each side to engage in a joint endeavor. Objective based work like industry often works best, mining, building, civil engineering, volunteers only, but ensure as equal representation as can be achieved. Move gradually to more relaxed activities, Arcology sports teams for example, or joint cultural exposes. While this is happening, make every effort to bring the leaders to the negotiating table. Try to secure ceasefires, de-militarisation of both sides and surrender and decommissioning of weapons. Aim to establish shared institutions of governance, a legislative council for example, but neutral 3rd party bodies to help mediate. Move gradually, but never deviate from reconciliation as the objective.

As an addendum, it must be said that prevention of violence does not always work. The main thing is to make negotiation the most attractive option for both sides. Restoring order and gradual de-escalation is the preferred method, but if that fails to stop an escalation, then you will have to use varying elements of force against the military aspects of either side.

**Vherokior **

Leopold Caine
Stillwater Corporation
#12 - 2014-05-07 10:27:19 UTC
Sack both side's supposed leaders/ spokespeople and impose yourself as the first and final authority. It is your arcology, no?

Sometimes it's benificial for everyone to remind people who's really pulling the strings.
  • Leopold Caine, Domination Malakim

Angels are never far...

Stillwater Corporation Recruitment Open - Angel Cartel Bloc

Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#13 - 2014-05-10 20:20:02 UTC
Thanks for all the advice & assistance given. Due to your input, several flaws and outdated methods have been identified within the workings of the Arcology Project. This is due to the growth of the population. What works for a few thousand is inefficent and insufficient for a population running into hundreds of thousands.

While this was not a direct cause of the strained minmatar/amarr relations aboard, it surely attributed to it.
The core issue has been identified as a high level of distrust between both factions. While this is to be expected, the recent substantial increase of armed forces at the Amarr side caused this distrust to surface.
The recruitment stop for both sides prevented a further escalation.

During the weekend, I hope to sort out a negotiator, a suggestion put forth by several of you, to smoothen out tensions to acceptable levels.

Lunarisse Aspenstar;

Looking forward to your input in this.

Diana Kim,

Part of your advise is already in effect, Arcoloy Law enforcement currently patrols more in sight, to remind inhabitants that they're in State space, not on Amarr or Minmatar space and thereby have to comply to State Law.
Your advice on more Kameiras however had to be dismissed, as they were part of the problem.

The error of festivities has indeed been pointed out, and the idea is dismissed.

Teinyrh

Quite a harsh advice, but a softened version is indeed in effect, troublemakers, trying to provoke aggression from the others will be dealt with harshly. Violence, or actions that provoke violence have no place at the Arcology and will be dealt with rapidly.
The Amarr & Minmatar districts are already well separated, but a more strict policy on visiting each others district is also in effect now, your advice on keeping them separate is indeed good.

Ayallah,

The implications of bringing Kameiras aboard are known, they're controversial. But the Arcology won't turn down people simply because their stay would be controversial.
In this regard, soemthing else plays as well. Most kameiras are no refugees, but serve as a private security force for various Amarr nobles aboard.
As they are under contract of someone else, the Arcology management has no right to 'give or sell' them to others.

N'Maro Makari

I thank you for your detailed and insightful advice, and it has been evry helpful to me!

1) You are correct in this assessment. Originally, faction specific militia did the borderpatrols & checks. This works for a small community, but for a large one as the Arcology, it only leads to problems as you pointed out.
Arcology Law Enforcement has taken over this duty now, as per your advice.

The divide is indeed no obvious physical obstacle, as that would indeed create a 'we versus them' mentality, but rather districts are separated by either large avenues or large open areas housing a variety of public Arcology services when appropriate.

2)This principle of keeping your enemies close is indeed a very good advice. Currently, the investigation to identify provokers and instigators did lead into the revelation of outdated budget managements and the corruption following from it.
In light of this advice, rather then expose the corruption and cause possible views of favoritism & leading to violent escalation, it has been decided to modernize budget management instead, making abuse of funds much harder.
Among the changes is a limit placed on spending the budget on security forces for each district, reminding them the funds are meant to assist the refugees and invest into programs to boost the profits, showing the success of the charity program, not make a private army for security. After all, overall security is provided by the Arcology itself.

3)This is a very good advice, and it's chosen as the course to follow for a long term goal. While what you propose is common sense for a large mixed population, the fast growth of the Arcology population over the years never accounted for a changing of objectives and scopes, creating a very inefficient communication structure, relying on trust & honesty of the other.
This is currently being corrected by a reform of the Arcology Council management, assuring a more correct and efficient managing of it's population.

The joint venture programs are already in effect, but many of them will be looked into and re-evaluated, considering how fast it all has grown.
The sports competition idea will certainly be evaluated as well once the situation has calmed down.

The Addendum: It is indeed a good thing to keep in mind: to prepare for the inevitable, no matter how small the chance might be. The Arcology does not aim to build an utopia, such ideas only lead to dissappointment, but it is my goal to offer at least safety to all those who are part of the Arcology Project. Sadly, that does mean a standing security force to deal with insurgents and troublemakers.

Leopold Caine

Several of the ringleaders that tried to push for an escalation have been identified, but as for now, no immediate action shall be taken. Reason being is the small scale of the riot. After all, an enemy you know is less dangerous and better controlled then one you don't. So should they ever try to push for something larger, it'll be known in advance.

However, the core of your message, to make clear to the people and their representatives who ultimately runs and secures the place is indeed followed.
Arcology security forces will be more visible, at the cost of faction specifiic militia, in order to remind everyone that the Arcology Project is meant to be a secure place for all.

I wish to thank all those who assisted with advice & insights, allowing me to identify crucial problems and oudtated methods that hampered the project and only worked to increase tensions between factions. You've been a great help.
By the end of this weekend, a final report will occur on the Arcology situation.

Xindi Kraid
#14 - 2014-05-10 22:02:35 UTC
Bear in mind I am an engineer, not a sociologist.

Perhaps the segregation is part of the problem. By doing so you emphasize the differences between the two groups, and a large component of many conflicts is the idea that they are not us, and if they aren't us they aren't to be trusted, should be destroyed, etc.

Though I am sure it will take time it might help to try and try to foster a shared identity. I believe you mentioned you are in Caldari space, so maybe you could try integrating them into Caldari society.
Lady Katherine Devonshire
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#15 - 2014-05-13 08:53:00 UTC
Simply remember this: Kameiras are Amarrian.

Regardless of whatever their ancestors were in the past, they have long since been elevated above that and embraced the Amarrian Faith, thus they are Amarrian in both mind & soul. They ignore the woeful jabs of the Republic and so should you.

Quarter them with the Amarrian population, take them to Amarrian temples, feed them Amarrian food, and treat them with the same due courtesy & respect that you would give to any other Servant of God.
Ston Momaki
Disciples of Ston
#16 - 2014-05-13 12:38:16 UTC
Lady Katherine Devonshire wrote:
Simply remember this: Kameiras are Amarrian.

Regardless of whatever their ancestors were in the past...
Quarter them with the Amarrian population, take them to Amarrian temples, feed them Amarrian food...

Lady Devonshire states a few practical gems within her otherwise religiously and culturally charged post. The points above should be received with due consideration and are very well on target from our perspective as well.

The Disciples of Ston bid you peace

Jandice Ymladris
Aurora Arcology
#17 - 2014-05-14 19:09:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Jandice Ymladris
This is the last public post on the matter as it's reached a conclusion.(edit: well, that teaches me for being an optimist....)Thanks to all those who assisted, you helped to make the Aurora Arcology project an improved and more efficient place to guide people into a new and better start in their lives!

Xindi Kraid,

your suggestion would indeed be a good one in case of minor cultural differences and/or in smaller population centers. However, the cultural differences in the people we house are major and ideally, to preserve order, it's been found that the best way was to give each major faction a district of their own where they can choose to live if they desire so.
there is always the Arcology District for those who prefer to live in a mixed enviroment, but due to this it has a very unique feel of it's own and not suitable for all.

The Caldari intergation you mentioned is surely in place, after all, State Space means State Laws. But unlike others, it's not a forced intergation. As long as State laws are abided by the citizens, its all good.

Lady Katherine Devonshire and Ston Momaki

The Kameiras have been instructed to remain within the Amarr district, to avoid more incidents. Most of them are employed by the few Amarr nobles aboard the Arcology Station.
While I'm no expert on Kameiras, Mr Momaki has been a great help in the past concerning advice about housing & helping Kameiras. So far, most of them seem to be pleased if they can serve the Amarr in some way.

Conclusion;

Thanks to assistance & advice given here and in private, the core issue has been found & dealt with. The outdated Arcology Management method and the way the council works is being reformed.
The reforms aim to manage a much larger population efficiently and to act much faster on a rising crisis.

A much more detailed overview of these changes can be found here: Riot aftermath leads to reforms of Arcology Workings

Once more, I like to thank all those who assisted in helping the Aurora Arcology Project moving forward to a better future, in order to help even more people.

Pieter Tuulinen
Khimi Harar
#18 - 2014-05-14 19:17:03 UTC
I have consulted in the past on managing the public safety implications of multi-cultural populations and workforce groups and I would be entirely pleased to do so again in the future, Jandice.

Let me know if you'd like me to work with you on any of this. I can reply with specific details of my experience and training, if necessary.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Agiri Falken
Akagi Initiative
#19 - 2014-05-15 01:44:37 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
I have consulted in the past on managing the public safety implications of multi-cultural populations and workforce groups and I would be entirely pleased to do so again in the future, Jandice.

Let me know if you'd like me to work with you on any of this. I can reply with specific details of my experience and training, if necessary.

Made an offer of my own a bit ago, as well, kirjuun. Mutual meeting at some time in the near future? Might just be beneficial for all involved.
Pieter Tuulinen
Khimi Harar
#20 - 2014-05-15 02:04:13 UTC
Interesting idea, Agiri. Yeah, I'd be willing to work with you on this.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

12Next page