These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Do you have your Carriers on your main or alt char?

First post
Author
Heather en Gravonere
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2014-03-28 21:57:10 UTC
Assuming the Chars are on different accounts?

My main already got logistics V but lacks the good droneskills the alt char has.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#2 - 2014-03-28 22:28:42 UTC
My cap skills are on my main/first character.
I have 3 accounts. All of them have a 'main'. though all of them are not cap pilots.
I think most serious cap pilots have a second account, so they can light there own cyno and jump around when they want.

Really good cap skills can actually take years to max out.
At some point, I wouldn't really consider that an alt, although I do refer to my other accounts as alts sometimes for ease of conversation.
Each of those accounts are specialized in a different manner, but all of them have 'alts' that I use for cyno pilots or trade hub monitors.

My definition of 'alt' is generally: Under 8 million SP, and more often, under 2 million SP.
Loraine Gess
Confedeferate Union of Tax Legalists
#3 - 2014-03-29 03:12:31 UTC
My alts trained into caps because they ran out of other things to train, all of them usually being very specific builds (i.e. gallente-focused, maxed drones/hybids... skilled into an obelisk at one point so it fit snugly in the moros).
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#4 - 2014-03-29 18:38:01 UTC
Both myself and my alts can pilot caps. It easier for me to justify the training time on my alts though, and they are more specialized than I am. I can pilot pretty much everything equally.

My shadow alt is built around:
* Hauling.
* Boosting.
* Industry.
* Logistics.
* Drones for offense. No turrets or launcher skills, so no dreads!
* Jump Drives.
Although a short list, this covers a lot of ships and skills, but there is a lot of synergy too.

Example: My alt is currently chewing on Black Ops 5.
* He can pilot a Sin and a Widow as a result of training for a Rattlesnake, a drone boat.
* He has drone boat skills because as a mining booster he protects miners using drones.
* As a mining booster, he's also a Rorqual pilot which has a jump drive (and a drone bonus).
* He's a carrier pilot, as he has drone, jump drive, and logistics skills.
* As a hauler with jump drive skills, he's also a jump freighter pilot.

Similarly, I have dread skills because I have turret and launcher skills.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#5 - 2014-03-30 13:17:16 UTC
Caps are for alts. All those Rank 10-12-14 skills are best trained on a skillqueue you don't care quite as much about.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#6 - 2014-03-31 00:55:57 UTC
One thing to remember is that you lose all drones you have deployed when you go into triage. You can reconnect to them but they do you no good whatsoever while in triage.

Not today spaghetti.

Klymer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2014-03-31 09:01:20 UTC
My carrier pilot is on it's own account.
Mashie Saldana
Jamgu Initiatives
#8 - 2014-03-31 20:03:07 UTC
My capital pilot was on a different account until I sold her.

The only way this char will end up with capital skills is if I run out of every other PVP skill in game.
Investor Joe
Litla Sundlaugin
#9 - 2014-04-01 22:23:10 UTC
at some point it stops being an "alt" and is more of just a char you play on. like after some x sp you canĀ“t really call it an alt in my opinion.

that said i have 2 accounts and both have capital pilots on them.
Kyt Thrace
Lightspeed Enterprises
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2014-04-02 12:12:54 UTC
I am at a crossroad, this is my main main character. I do have other accounts with carriers on them, this character is my main pvper.

I always told myself I would never ever train a cap skill on this character, I want to max her out on sub-caps. But that being said, I hate having to rely on my other characters with carriers to move her pvp ships across the eve universe to get into the fight.

I have considered just training the basic skills for a carrier just to use the carrier as a pvp ship hauler. Can not make up my mind..

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#11 - 2014-04-03 05:53:08 UTC
Hrm.... thread title was changed. Was capitals.

In case readers are wondering why the first few posts seem a bit off-topic.
ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
Dead Terrorists
#12 - 2014-04-07 13:04:27 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Caps are for alts. All those Rank 10-12-14 skills are best trained on a skillqueue you don't care quite as much about.
Rubbish, why miss out on all the awesome killmails you can get on when flying a cap. Twisted
And at some point you do reach a point where you have nothing else to train anyhow. Im working on training my 3rd carrier race to 5 now.
And usually all my alts can fly caps as well, so not really a issue

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
Dead Terrorists
#13 - 2014-04-07 13:05:52 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:

The only way this char will end up with capital skills is if I run out of every other PVP skill in game.

Wich is rather close by the looks of it Blink

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

Idicious Lightbane
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2014-04-09 06:18:17 UTC
One of my old corps required all mains to be able to fly a carrier. Not for combat but for quick deployment, if there was something going on this way we could get whatever fleet we wanted there in the time it took to move cyno alts into position.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#15 - 2014-04-09 16:30:32 UTC
Idicious Lightbane wrote:
One of my old corps required all mains to be able to fly a carrier. Not for combat but for quick deployment, if there was something going on this way we could get whatever fleet we wanted there in the time it took to move cyno alts into position.

I'm not a big fan of corps that "require" a lot of stuff.
But, if you live in null, and half your pilots can't get stuff there, it really puts a burden on the pilots that can fly carriers.
I can 100% relate to that scenario.
Eleisa Joringer
Les chips electriques
#16 - 2014-04-18 06:11:40 UTC
Odly enough, my alt will fly carriers before me.
Being able to pilot JFs helps alot in carrier skills requirements
Polska Kielbasa
Minmatar Brotherhood
Bloody Hands of Matar.
#17 - 2014-04-20 01:04:02 UTC
This is my one and only character. I fly carrier, dreadnought and jump freighter as well as black ops and all other sub caps. The only ship I cannot pilot at this time is the titan. I only fly Minmatar and my skills are predominately combat but I do have a few trade, science and Indy skills....... Minmatar Brotherhood forever. Never forgive, never forget..............
Never forget    Never forgive
Mashie Saldana
Jamgu Initiatives
#18 - 2014-04-20 12:14:12 UTC
ArmyOfMe wrote:
Mashie Saldana wrote:

Wich is rather close by the looks of it Blink

595 days and counting until I have to inject capital skills Sad
Jayem See
Perkone
Caldari State
#19 - 2014-04-22 19:10:00 UTC
Cap skills definitely on an alt. I got that done when I had to leave Lemons as they deployed so quickly, and so far, that I couldn't keep up with them.

Shame - loved flying with those guys.

Aaaaaaand relax.

Alaric Faelen
El Ultimo Hombre
Goonswarm Federation
#20 - 2014-04-23 00:32:04 UTC
I personally have none, but most of the carrier pilots I know are a main, and the player has at least one other account with cyno alts. Many of the skills needed to fly capitals directly benefit sub-capitals along the way. But it takes almost no time to train up a cyno alt. The other reason I think is because many cyno alts are kept out of corp/alliance, where their mains are.
Titans run a bit different- I never see a titan pilot in anything but their titan.
12Next page