These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A Website to Browse Ship Masteries

Author
Ogar Keiff
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2014-03-23 07:33:28 UTC
Hey, Guys.

I've been a little disappointed that none of the skill planning tools I use include the new ship masteries. It's too much work to have to open up the client to be able to access them, and I can't access it away from my computer anyway. Finally I decided to do something about it, and I thought I would share it with you.

You can access the tool I made at http://evemastery.appspot.com/.

There's a simple search that takes the name of the ship you're interested in, and then shows you the masteries. You can also download the masteries in XML that should be importable into your favourite tool.

A few notes:

• The search only recognises the complete, correctly spelled name of the ship you're looking for. I may look at doing some kind of fuzzy matching or autocomplete stuff later, but most likely won't.
  • The XML imports fine into Vitality, but I haven't tried EVEMon. It's a little crude, so it's possible some tools that are very picky with their input may not like it. Please report if you have issues, I will try to find the time to fix them.
  • If you find any bugs, let me know and I will do my best to try to fix them. You can also send me feature requests, but unless it's something really cool, I probably won't implement anything new.
  • The thing is hosted in Google App Engine on a free plan. I have zero intention of paying to host it, so if it goes down because you guys cause too much traffic, there is nothing that will be done to help with that. Best to just wait for the load to come back down.
  • The full source code is hosted in Github at https://github.com/pparkkin/evemastery. Feel free to do whatever you want with it. If you have a really really cool pull request, I may pull it, but honestly, it's such a chore to deploy Clojure on Google App Engine, it would have to be something pretty awesome to get me to go through the trouble. (If it's an autodeploy script, I will pull immediately.) If you want to take my code, make it better, and create your own version with ads, please do, and let me know so I can shut mine down, and just point everyone to your version.

Enjoy, and fly dangerous!
Klymer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2014-03-24 05:12:14 UTC
Yeah I'm using EVEMon 1.8.7.4273 and it balks on import with a file not supported error.

The file is probably from an EVEMon version prior to 1.3.0.
This type of file is no longer supported

Other than that, nice looking website
Ogar Keiff
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-03-25 13:21:01 UTC
Thanks!

I noticed the EVEMon issue yesterday, and am working on it. Seems both Vitality and EVEMon make their own unstated assumptions about how the XMLs are allowed to look, and it's not obvious how to satisfy both.
Ogar Keiff
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2014-03-25 23:29:57 UTC
The web site has been updated with the following fixes.

• The search input is now a little more forgiving. The search is case insensitive and leading and trailing white space gets trimmed from the search term.

• The XML should now be compatible with both Vitality and EVEMon.

• If you come across any bugs, please let me know, and I'll do my best to fix them.
    Nolen Cadmar
    Caldari Provisions
    Caldari State
    #5 - 2014-04-08 13:34:34 UTC
    Great job! And please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way...

Skill masteries are great for a new player to get a feel for what kinds of things they should train. Personally, I'm not a fan of them because they're still a bit messy. In some cases, ships have skills required for mastery that apply to things they can't use. Like drones level 5 for a ship that has no drone bay. I'd love for CCP to re-examine the ship masteries and fix them properly.

Nolen's Spreadsheet Guru Services

Pre-made spreadsheets available covering market, manufacturing and more!

Custom requests welcome!

Sheet Screenshots

Ogar Keiff
    Caldari Provisions
    Caldari State
    #6 - 2014-04-11 06:01:14 UTC
    Nolen Cadmar wrote:
    Great job! And please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way...

Skill masteries are great for a new player to get a feel for what kinds of things they should train. Personally, I'm not a fan of them because they're still a bit messy. In some cases, ships have skills required for mastery that apply to things they can't use. Like drones level 5 for a ship that has no drone bay. I'd love for CCP to re-examine the ship masteries and fix them properly.

I completely agree. The masteries have a lot of skills that are not nearly as useful as others.

For something similar but better curated, I personally prefer http://www.eve-skilltracker.com/. Their skill plans focus more on skills that are actually useful, and also the badges are way more accessible (because there's less useless skills included). And the website can connect to your API to show you how you're doing. I think it's awesome.

I only made mine to provide access to the mastery information, which isn't available in any of the skill planning tools I use. I make no claims to the usefulness of the information provided.
    Barkkor
    Schweine im Weltall GmbH
    RAZOR Alliance
    #7 - 2014-04-11 07:58:04 UTC
    Ogar Keiff wrote:
    I completely agree. The masteries have a lot of skills that are not nearly as useful as others.

For something similar but better curated, I personally prefer http://www.eve-skilltracker.com/. Their skill plans focus more on skills that are actually useful, and also the badges are way more accessible (because there's less useless skills included). And the website can connect to your API to show you how you're doing. I think it's awesome.

I only made mine to provide access to the mastery information, which isn't available in any of the skill planning tools I use. I make no claims to the usefulness of the information provided.

Thank you very much.

Barkkor in EVE Online ≡ german blog ≡

EVE Skilltracker ≡ web based skill tool ≡