These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Psychotic Monk for CSM9

First post First post
Author
John XIII
The Carnifex Corp
#41 - 2014-03-05 23:35:35 UTC
Psychotic Monk is one of the good guys. You have all my 1st place votes bro!

Between Ignorance and Wisdom

Tarojan
Tarojan Corporation
#42 - 2014-03-06 10:14:46 UTC
Hey dude, big fan of your work for the community.

I read a great kills of the week on minerbumping.com, was hilarious except the part where a newbie was getiing ganked in his rookie ship for afk auto piloting. I tried to find the link, but james is a prolific poster, so its buried. It got me scratching my head though and I went back and made an alt and ran those STUPID SOUL DESTROYING tutorials again and BINGO!

Theres a tutorial where it tells you to autopilot. Did you know that? The dam tutorial that teachs new players to play the game orders them to autopilot to the next system.

Why cant we teach people to play the game as it actually is? Lets face it the pve content is a lie. Its bad and its been designed that way. Its there to provide content (in my case the boredom of mining leaving me the choice of self haming irl and ganking someone to relieve the stress.) for pvpers. Less of heres how to afk auto pilot into a gank squad and more LOTS MORE heres how to crash a gate camp, heres how to tank your ship (you mentioned tanking haulers?) heres how to mine...ALIGNED!!!! heres how to use a dscanner.

What is your postion about fixing the tutorials so it teachs newbies what to actually expect from eve instead of preparing them to play space wow and then "unlucky scrub!"?

Will gank for food

Brusanan
Sardaukar Merc Guild
General Tso's Alliance
#43 - 2014-03-06 17:02:20 UTC
General Tso's Alliance endorses Psychotic Monk for CSM 9!
Psychotic Monk
Arcana Noctis
#44 - 2014-03-07 00:42:55 UTC
As far as the tutorials in eve, I'm not sure a tutorial can fully equip someone to play competitively when they're not already of that mindset, but it could certainly do a better job of laying the groundwork. And, as always, if there's a way to jam more info into the tutorial without burning out the people doing it, I'm all for that.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#45 - 2014-03-07 06:25:31 UTC
Monk always has my vote. I expect all my friends to vote for Monk as well. Or else!

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Mildew Wolf
#46 - 2014-03-08 09:50:55 UTC
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
Snuffed Out
#47 - 2014-03-08 10:16:14 UTC
James 315's blog described a guy running a corp

http://www.minerbumping.com/2014/03/highsec-nightmare-part-2.html

Was it you that wrote a thread that was something along the lines of "you are not entitled to start a corporation" a while back? I liked that
Psychotic Monk
Arcana Noctis
#48 - 2014-03-08 17:19:38 UTC
I can't find the article you're talking about just this second, but yes, I have written bits along those lines and still maintain that opinion.

It is my belief that badly run do-nothing corporations do more harm to this game than basically anything else. A bright-eyed young enthusiastic newbie joins one and is told that they can't do any of the cool things they joined the game to do until their six months or a year or two years old. They instead get chained to an asteroid belt or a mission agent and either become a mindless grinding robot or quit the game in frustration.

I think it's far better that corporations like these be destroyed, even if that means that some of the people who would otherwise have stayed to do mindless mud-stacking quit as a result. This game has one significant advantage over every other game on the market, and that's the competitive nature of it. I want those enthusiastic newbies to walk away from the ashes of crappy corps into vibrant and dynamic corps that are making a splash and doing interesting things.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#49 - 2014-03-09 19:17:29 UTC
If I only had one vote, it would be for Psychotic Monk. I like it when he asks every corp he joins to vote for him.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#50 - 2014-03-09 22:43:36 UTC
Psychotic Monk wrote:
I can't find the article you're talking about just this second, but yes, I have written bits along those lines and still maintain that opinion.

It is my belief that badly run do-nothing corporations do more harm to this game than basically anything else. A bright-eyed young enthusiastic newbie joins one and is told that they can't do any of the cool things they joined the game to do until their six months or a year or two years old. They instead get chained to an asteroid belt or a mission agent and either become a mindless grinding robot or quit the game in frustration.

I think it's far better that corporations like these be destroyed, even if that means that some of the people who would otherwise have stayed to do mindless mud-stacking quit as a result. This game has one significant advantage over every other game on the market, and that's the competitive nature of it. I want those enthusiastic newbies to walk away from the ashes of crappy corps into vibrant and dynamic corps that are making a splash and doing interesting things.

Plus. ****ing. One.

This right here is why I'm voting for this man. These verminous highsec corps that drag newbies into the most boring parts of the game need to be exterminated, one and all.

That is how you improve new player retention. By hitting the people who say "You can't" to newbies from the very beginning.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#51 - 2014-03-10 13:17:38 UTC
There is only one other person other then myself worthy of representing me and my type of game play.

Psychotic Monk

You have all my accounts votes.

If you want to support HiSec Buggery vote for Monk.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2014-03-10 22:16:07 UTC
Monk's the only griefer I trust not to steal my vote!

Kane said it best.

Founder of Violet Squadron, a small gang NPSI community! Mail me for more information.

BeBopAReBop RhubarbPie's Space Mediation Service!

Valkin Mordirc
#53 - 2014-03-12 07:45:23 UTC
Vote for Monk, cause if you don't man, you have to be a blind drunk! Drop some crunk on this mother F***, and he'll make high-sec even better than your mothers....JUNK!

You got my Vote.
#DeleteTheWeak
Lakotnik
TSOE Po1ice
TSOE Consortium
#54 - 2014-03-13 09:08:46 UTC
Hm..

You create content. What about the people who have no interest in your "content creation" and are ussually on the receiving end of it and are thus robbed of their time in his game. Let's face it, most of us have families and jobs and our "online time" is ussually limited. What happens, when your "content creation" gets in the way of these hardworking people and they're worse off for it?

Do you consider it a worthy note, for them to be able to have a choice of participation in these "events" you create? Because if you're only creating events for yourself and those who think like you (however flawed that might be), don't you represent only a portion of the area you operate in and would thus, if chosen for a CSM, be giving further imbalance of the territory?
Psychotic Monk
Arcana Noctis
#55 - 2014-03-14 00:15:04 UTC
If someone doesn't want to play a competitive game then they absolutely shouldn't. I make that choice on occasion myself. I'll have had a bad day and I'm not in a mood to potentially be defeated so I'll go play minecraft for the evening instead.

When you want to compete, though, Eve is one of the best possible games for that, and voting for me is voting to preserve that competitive spirit.
Ripard Teg
Vector Galactic
Shadow Cartel
#56 - 2014-03-14 02:15:50 UTC
I'm in the midst of writing a series of blog posts about the changes I've seen over the last few years to EVE's culture. I feel we've become much quicker to embarrass and humiliate each other, much less likely to treat each other with respect, more inclined to see how far we can push another player... see if we can break him... see if we can drive him out of the game or make him snap.

And if successful, we crow "Go back to WoW, you pussy!" and we celebrate our "victory."

1) Do you agree?
2) If so, why do you think it's happening? If you disagree, why?
3) What, if anything, do you feel CCP should do about it?

aka Jester, who apparently was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer to good effect.

Psychotic Monk
Arcana Noctis
#57 - 2014-03-14 02:28:50 UTC
I think you're driving at two different things here and bundling them together. I think you're trying to talk both about a higher level of competition, which means dirtier tricks and more cutthroat gameplay and also a culture that is shitter.

I think the high level of competition, including things like spying, betrayal, and unconventional tactics is outstanding and I can't wait to see what the community comes up with next. I think it's the shining jewel in Eve's crown. I think it should be nurtured and encouraged as much as possible and I'd love to see that backed by CCP.

As far as the culture, I see some terrible examples of really ****** communities. I think a possible cause is that Eve has reached a point where dehumanizing your enemy has become very obviously politically useful, so some groups feel no shame in levelling ******* human waste at their opponents and also, by becoming accustomed to a culture that accepts that kind of hate, each other. I'm not sure that CCP either could do anything about it or (while I do find it distasteful) should do anything about it. It's a community problem and should be addressed by the community. It is my secret wish that their ****** cultures are their demise, though.

Does that answer your question?
Sephira Galamore
Inner Beard Society
The Watchmen.
#58 - 2014-03-14 02:32:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Sephira Galamore
Psychotic Monk wrote:
I think the high level of competition, including things like spying, betrayal, and unconventional tactics is outstanding and I can't wait to see what the community comes up with next. I think it's the shining jewel in Eve's crown. I think it should be nurtured and encouraged as much as possible and I'd love to see that backed by CCP.

You think betrayal of personal trust and friendship should be encouraged?

Also, you keep stating how Eve is a competitive game. That is quite funny, considering how there is no defined goal in Eve.
What competition are miners to you? What competition are missioners to you? Do you consider them as competition or as objects to be competed over?
But Eve has not only competetive elements, but also cooperative and social elements.
In fact, I more and more think we shouldn't look at Eve as a game but as a virtual world, which allows for games to be played within. War games, Skirmirshes, Market games, Building games, Hacking games, ...
But the community is - or imho should be - above all that.

I wonder, do you encourage hooligans? It's quite a level of competition and surely part of the meta in soccer, right?
Psychotic Monk
Arcana Noctis
#59 - 2014-03-14 03:12:10 UTC
I believe that betrayal of trust and perceived friendship should be encouraged, yes. These things going on in game are no different than a poker player bluffing. That level of play can be rough, but Eve is a full contact sport for your mind, after all.

Miners and missioners aren't somehow separate from me. They are players in Eve, just like I am. When I am able to kill them, it is because I made some better decisions at that time than that player.

As for hooligans in soccer, no I do not encourage criminality or violence in the real world. I do support the odd bit of violence in hockey in that it adds strategic depth to the game, but stop supporting it as soon as it starts cause more than minor injuries. In these cases, there are real consequences and lives could be ruined. In Eve, zero lives are ruined.
Sephira Galamore
Inner Beard Society
The Watchmen.
#60 - 2014-03-14 03:27:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Sephira Galamore
Psychotic Monk wrote:
I believe that betrayal of trust and perceived friendship should be encouraged, yes. These things going on in game are no different than a poker player bluffing. That level of play can be rough, but Eve is a full contact sport for your mind, after all.

Sorry, you must have misunderstood me. I was talking about actual friendship. See, just because there are some kilometers between the people I communicate with, doesn't mean I don't value them and our relationship any less.
Maybe for you Eve is just a game, but for me - and many others - it's a community.

Psychotic Monk wrote:
As for hooligans in soccer, no I do not encourage criminality or violence in the real world. I do support the odd bit of violence in hockey in that it adds strategic depth to the game, but stop supporting it as soon as it starts cause more than minor injuries. In these cases, there are real consequences and lives could be ruined. In Eve, zero lives are ruined.

So, you and I are not real? The time I spend in Eve is not real time? The value I put on things in game is not real?
EVE is real. And that's not just a phrase. And if you want to work with CCP on the CSM you should be aware that they mean that, and you may want to watch Hilmars presentation...

And just to elaborate on where I stand.. I am part of Eve, I know the risks and if I trip somewhere, I'll take my lessons from that.
If I fall for a random scam, I wouldn't be mad at the scammer, at most I would be mad at me if it was too obvious and if not I would be curious what happened.
If someone ganks my ship, I'd either shrug it off cause it wasn't worth much or blame it on me for packing too shiny, or not paying attention.
If someone betrays my friendship, I wouldn't be mad or raging either, I'd simply be disappointed.