These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Mike Azariah for CSM9

First post First post
Author
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2014-03-07 22:51:47 UTC
Ashterothi wrote:
What is your opinion on two form authentication (security tokens) and account security in general?

Account security has always been a high priority for CCP and anybody who cares about the game. Since we are playing on a single shard our names and characters carry a lot of weight/history and losing them means something more than it would in other games.

But 2-form authentification has its own set of drawbacks. From the 'bother' of having to do an extra step to log in to people who do not possess smart phones and do not wish to pay for a dongle key just so they can play a game they are already subscribed to. Arguments against link Then there is the worry that it still would not be enough as two step is still vulnerable to Man In the Middle attacks. MiTM link

It, for me, comes down to the question of whether the cure is worse than the disease.

There are other protections like possible IP locks or hardware ones 'Please tell us why you are suddenly logging in from Xambibia' or 'That is a new computer, please email verify its clearance.'

but

I know people in the armed forces who love Eve and they do travel. Worse, even if they do not take their game with them they have buddies they trust doing 'EULA breaking things' by playing skill queue online for them. I dislike setting up new hurdles to keep people who love the game and their respective countries from playing and staying. Those are the ULTIMATE casual players and the ones I try to keep in mind when discussing changes.

I found variations of this discussion going all the way back to CSM4 (and it probably goes back further).

tl:dr +
security is good
show me a specific proposal and I will tell you whether IT is good
the security folks seem to like it to be mandatory
some players would want it optional

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Tysun Kane
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2014-03-08 02:52:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Tysun Kane
+1 Listened to you on flyreckless Podcast really like your take and ideas toward EVE.
SlickReed
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2014-03-08 02:54:36 UTC
+1
Marise Dinah
Fiaskko Enterprises
#44 - 2014-03-08 09:07:24 UTC
Hi Mike,

I think you're going to top my ballot this year across all my accounts. However, I'm interested in what you feel needs attention in low sec. I'm a FW player and I like roaming for PvP. I guess my biggest gripe is links. I think they need to be on-grid and I think even the fleet bonuses should work this way.

IMO FW needs to have more in terms of building up a system that is important to the whole faction and in general there needs to be more to make a system feel like home to a player. I would particularly like anything tying those two ideas together.

Low sec tends to miss out in CSM as we are not generally large organised blocs. What can you do to represent?
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2014-03-08 18:17:58 UTC
Marise Dinah wrote:

I think you're going to top my ballot this year across all my accounts. However, I'm interested in what you feel needs attention in low sec. I'm a FW player and I like roaming for PvP. I guess my biggest gripe is links. I think they need to be on-grid and I think even the fleet bonuses should work this way.

IMO FW needs to have more in terms of building up a system that is important to the whole faction and in general there needs to be more to make a system feel like home to a player. I would particularly like anything tying those two ideas together.

Low sec tends to miss out in CSM as we are not generally large organised blocs. What can you do to represent?

A quick quote from the Summer Summit Minutes

Quote:
Mike Azariah suggested tying the status of PvE systems to larger aspects of the game.
He gave an example: if the Gallente were doing badly in FW, taxes in Gallente space
might increase slightly "to fund the war effort". This would hopefully increase awareness
of FW.

Abraxis said that he had some designs for similar things, but that this would require
getting a bunch of game designers in a room together and "shouting really loudly at
them." Ali Aras suggested he get elected to CSM.

Abraxis noted however that tying largely-independent systems together was a very
complicated balancing issue and would have to be done very carefully

I WANT FW to matter to more than just folks trying to decide when to cash in LP. I would LIKE the changes there to echo through Hisec and Dust and Even open up specific battlegrounds in Valkyrie (If that becomes possible)

Big dreams . . . but you asked.

Lowsec representation? Well, at least there are some viable candidates available and I recommend you add them to your ballot (but I appreciate being on the top) But if I claim to worry about the game as a whole then I do need to pay attention to Low, especially when (or if) it doesn't have its own advocate. The second thing is Low is the OTHER place where casual players go (aside from high) and That kind of player is who I support/represent, no matter where in space they may be.

What I don't want. Low being Null lite
What I do want. Unique reasons to go to each type of space and specific play-styles for them, respectively.

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#46 - 2014-03-09 17:21:35 UTC
Mike's a good guy and I'll be casting a vote his way.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Marise Dinah
Fiaskko Enterprises
#47 - 2014-03-09 19:31:39 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:

I WANT FW to matter to more than just folks trying to decide when to cash in LP. I would LIKE the changes there to echo through Hisec and Dust and Even open up specific battlegrounds in Valkyrie (If that becomes possible)

Sounds great! May I ask if you have a low sec candidate you most recommend I add to my ballot?

Would you say that CCP have low sec on their radar in equal measure to high/null/W and would you say the CSM in general do a good job of keeping low sec in the picture during discussions?

Emiko Rowna
Keys To The Stars
#48 - 2014-03-10 04:27:24 UTC
+1
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2014-03-10 20:39:49 UTC
Marise Dinah wrote:

Sounds great! May I ask if you have a low sec candidate you most recommend I add to my ballot?

Would you say that CCP have low sec on their radar in equal measure to high/null/W and would you say the CSM in general do a good job of keeping low sec in the picture during discussions?

I will say, when we are closer to elections who I think would be good people (in my opinion) to put on a ballot. Right now I am not even sure if all the horses are in the starting gate, yet.

CCP looks at the game, not a particular piece of it. They have to keep the whole picture present. When they fail to do that it is up to US to call them on it. Every feature that came out in CSM8 had the wormhole folks looking at it through the lens of their own constituency. Low sec lacked someone with the same focus. We TRIED to make the whole game better but on person banging the Lowsec drum? Wasn't there.

Was Low ignored? NO. But I do encourage lowsec to find folks to represent them this time so they are sure they have someone specifically focused on their wants and needs.

Problem is . . . which lowsec? FW? Pirating? PI and carebears? Can you show me the candidate who will properly represent ALL of Low or are you, like highsec, a segmented population?

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Tyrant Scorn
#50 - 2014-03-14 19:36:48 UTC
Hello everyone,

You can find Mike Azariah's interview which he had with me at the following link:

Mp3 Download Link:
http://www.legacyofacapsuleer.com/mp3/CSM9_interview_13_Mike_Azariah.mp3

Watch It On YouTube At:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S09S8-Rx0zc

Hope you guys enjoy the interview and I hope you get to know Mike Azariah a bit better.

Greetz & thanks,

Tyrant Scorn
Emiko Rowna
Keys To The Stars
#51 - 2014-03-19 04:50:58 UTC
I had posed the following in a thread named “Why freighter bumping in High Sec is an exploit”

What say you?

I will state right here and now that I believe the bumping of a freighter with the intent of holding it in place while your fiends arrive to perform the gank is an exploit. Here are the reasons why.

1. The only reason you bump is to avoid the wrath of CONCORD.

2. There are other ways to hold a ship in place, all of which come at a cost in training time and equipment. If bumping is allowed to replace the need for this training and equipment the bumper has the advantage of now being able to forgo the needed equipment and fill that slot with something else. This in effect will unbalance the ship by giving it the ability of the modules skipped over and the ones used in their stead.

3. Every intended mechanic has a counter and this does not. Don’t even try to say bring friends, as that is not a counter to any mechanic other than being out numbered. When was the last time you told someone asking how to fight a faster ship to bring friends?

4. There is no skill to train for bumping nor to counter bumping.

In the end it comes down to this, you are bumping to achieve the same results or better with no training time or investment in equipment that is achieved by a player that makes those investments. You are doing this with the solo intent to avoid the wrath of CONCORD that the player who has trained and bought the equipment is subject to.
Frying Doom
#52 - 2014-03-19 06:08:51 UTC
My 2 cents, during the time I was active in EvE in the last year mike was the guy who was well...

Too stupid to give up, for want of a better answer.

A vote for mike is a vote for KBO

*KBO is a registered trademark of Winston Churchill.

Keep Buggering On Mike, eventually you will hit your head hard enough to realise you are a CCP puppet. :)

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Emiko Rowna
Keys To The Stars
#53 - 2014-03-19 11:33:24 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
My 2 cents, during the time I was active in EvE in the last year mike was the guy who was well...

Too stupid to give up, for want of a better answer.

A vote for mike is a vote for KBO

*KBO is a registered trademark of Winston Churchill.

Keep Buggering On Mike, eventually you will hit your head hard enough to realise you are a CCP puppet. :)

Although you have the words of Winston Churchill correct I don't believe you quite understand how he used them. You see he would use them as words of encouragement to hold steadfast and complete the goal. Here you seem to apply a negative connotation to them as if Mike's steadfastness was something not to be admired.

I do wonder, just what kind of person still post in the forums of a game he is no longer is playing and that was created by a company he clearly has negative feelings about.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#54 - 2014-03-19 15:28:50 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
Marise Dinah wrote:

I will say, when we are closer to elections who I think would be good people (in my opinion) to put on a ballot. Right now I am not even sure if all the horses are in the starting gate, yet.

CCP looks at the game, not a particular piece of it. They have to keep the whole picture present. When they fail to do that it is up to US to call them on it. Every feature that came out in CSM8 had the wormhole folks looking at it through the lens of their own constituency. Low sec lacked someone with the same focus. We TRIED to make the whole game better but on person banging the Lowsec drum? Wasn't there.

Was Low ignored? NO. But I do encourage lowsec to find folks to represent them this time so they are sure they have someone specifically focused on their wants and needs.

Problem is . . . which lowsec? FW? Pirating? PI and carebears? Can you show me the candidate who will properly represent ALL of Low or are you, like highsec, a segmented population?

m

Mike's excellent answer highlights why maximising the diversity of expertise and game experience is much more important than "winning" the CSM with 10 'hi-sec' or 10 'null' candidates.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

John Holt
High Priority Industries
#55 - 2014-03-20 14:42:50 UTC
Mike's done a good job on 8. He represents the largest base in the game, but we are disorganized. He has my vote.

Done my time in null sec, now I'm just a Privateer wandering around High and Low Sec.

Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
The Revenant Order
#56 - 2014-03-20 23:44:59 UTC
After seeing the work you did on the CSM last year, your willingness to communicate with the players as individuals, and your work toward making the EVE community a better place, you most definitely have my vote.

I am the One who exists in Shadow. I am the Devil your parents warned you about.

||CEO: Order of the Shadow||Executor: The Revenant Order||Creator: Bowhead||

lowryder
Equal Opportunity Haterz
#57 - 2014-03-22 02:26:28 UTC
You said you make your isk in incursions. That is the part of the game I enjoy for now my question is simple: Are there any changes or iterations to incursions that you will be championing to CCP? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for pushing to keep some drone assist in!!!!!!
Jaun Pacht-Feng
Doomheim
#58 - 2014-03-23 22:04:40 UTC
What non current CSM members would you want elected?

Why would you want them elected?

"Go Goon or Go Home"

Perfect description of the biggest problem with Eve. 

Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2014-03-24 06:05:04 UTC
lowryder wrote:
You said you make your isk in incursions. That is the part of the game I enjoy for now my question is simple: Are there any changes or iterations to incursions that you will be championing to CCP? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for pushing to keep some drone assist in!!!!!!

I already have made suggestions as to changes I would like to see but I have no problem reiterating

1) More lore, a change an advancement of Kuvekeis plans or an exploration of where the hell he got this tech in the first place
2) Other pirate factions steal the tech and we begin to see other sorts of incursions, each with their own flavour and need for specialized fleets (somebody wrote me about this idea asking if there would then be a chance for the Gurristas equivalent of a revenant, or a blood raider super I couldn't answer because I was gazing happily off into the distance)
3) Some variation within incursions that currently exist.

Quote:
What non current CSM members would you want elected?

Why would you want them elected?
-Jaun Pacht-Feng

I will, when we get closer, give my Dream Team listing but for now I will let you know some of the standards that I apply.

1) Do they have a history of a solid work ethic?
2) Have they shown their passion for this game?
3) Have they shown the ability to deal with other playstyles, other players who may not agree with them
4) Do they have the time to spare?
5) Are they the best representative of a unique/distictive side of Eve?

If you apply the above standard I am sure you will begin to make a short list for yourself but, as I said, I will be doing the same once I think I know somethign about all who are running.

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Lanctharus Onzo
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#60 - 2014-03-25 01:05:10 UTC
CSM9 Candidate Interview: Mike Azariah
http://capstable.net/2014/03/13/csm9mikeazariah

Executive Editor, CSM Watch || Writer, Co-host of the Cap Stable Podcast || Twitter: @Lanctharus